[Signing] Canucks extend Podkolzin for 2 years

22 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

He is by definition.  Played alongside Pettersson for the vast majority of his shifts.  Tocchet likes him - why else would he keep a guy who's scored one goal since Decemeber on a line with Petey?

Well, it's not because he's a top six player. It's probably more because of his defensive tendencies, probably. Coaches can be weird. Each coach has a hard on for specific players, even if by very definition, they're not very good. Tocchet with Mik, maybe? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if Tocchet was trying to get Mik going offensively. He did play beside Brock and Miller, and I think the reason he was on the top line was for them to get him going offensively, and it worked. He got a goal when he was on their line. Mik isn't great offensively. Can't seem to finish, but Tocchet's also been obsessed with duo's on each line. 

Brock - Miller 

Höglander - Petey

Joshua - Garland 

Fourth line is a wash 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, it's not because he's a top six player. It's probably more because of his defensive tendencies, probably. Coaches can be weird. Each coach has a hard on for specific players, even if by very definition, they're not very good. Tocchet with Mik, maybe? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if Tocchet was trying to get Mik going offensively. He did play beside Brock and Miller, and I think the reason he was on the top line was for them to get him going offensively, and it worked. He got a goal when he was on their line. Mik isn't great offensively. Can't seem to finish, but Tocchet's also been obsessed with duo's on each line. 

Brock - Miller 

Höglander - Petey

Joshua - Garland 

Fourth line is a wash 

Ilya Mikheyev plays intelligent hockey.  He is simply the outcome of any player who has the talent but is completely snakebitten.  He isn't being gifted scoring opportunities - he's creating them through excellent positioning and good puck control.  The problem... is that he's the one with the puck in front of net and it's just a wasted chance.  Mikheyev can do everything except get on the scoresheet, and that's fatal for the team.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

Ilya Mikheyev plays intelligent hockey.  He is simply the outcome of any player who has the talent but is completely snakebitten.  He isn't being gifted scoring opportunities - he's creating them through excellent positioning and good puck control.  The problem... is that he's the one with the puck in front of net and it's just a wasted chance.  Mikheyev can do everything except get on the scoresheet, and that's fatal for the team.

I'd be interested to see how he does come to the playoffs tomorrow. But I agree that it's fatal for the team, considering how much he's making. Even if management wanted to move him, they'd have to add to do it. If Mikheyev can get his offense going, he'd be such a valuable player to the team. What I hope he doesn't do is that he doesn't actually bring down the play of Pettersson and Höglander. We need every player on every line to be firing on all cylinders at this time of the year. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 2:28 AM, Coconuts said:

Even if he simply sticks as a capable middle six guy that's a win from a 10OA pick

Most guys at 10 don't exactly pop off, getting a guy like Rantanen is an outlier 

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl-draft/en/overall/10-overall-draft-picks-players-all-time-points-leaders.html

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/draft_by_pick.php?position=10

I wouldn't agree with that. 

A way more accurate fact is that well over 50% of the drafted players picked #10-15 end up in the NHL doing very well getting over 0.50 point per game going back from draft years since 2014. 

Love this kid. Tocchet loves him too.

He's going to be a very good player for us. By the end of this contract hopefully he's up for a huge raise. 

He'll score more next season. I think he'll have good playoffs too.