[Signing] Canucks extend Podkolzin for 2 years

Was hoping for more while we waited for him to finish army duty, but not all top drafts (or even 1st overalls)  are superstars

It is a very good signing and I think Pods took less to be guaranteed not to be sent down and hoping he plays with confidence and becomes even a better player now without the worry of being demoted

• Cheers 2

Good deal, though not unexpected, given that Podz had still proven very little in the NHL outside of a solid rookie season.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

• -AJ- pinned and featured this topic
1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Really good value. One way deal so he's definitely on Canucks main squad moving forward. He's looking good since they brought him back from Abbotsford, much more aggressive and confident.

It would have to be a one way deal as he's not waiver eligible anymore...

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It would have to be a one way deal as he's not waiver eligible anymore...

Pretty sure you can still sign two-way deals even if you're waiver-eligible. Many older players do it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuck You said:

So? He got him signed to a good contract. I'm talking about over-all not just picks.

Pure Nonsense is just trying to push his Benning fetish in yet another thread.

Its a great contract and whoever picked him is really irrelevant. Its Alvinn and Rutherfords team. 

Edited by filthy animal
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Older players yes.  However, Podkolzin would never clear waivers so makes no sense to give him a two way contract...

I could see him clearing if he's playing very poorly. If, for instance, he starts the year with 1 point in 23 games or something, I'm not sure another team will claim him, given they'd have to have him on their NHL roster.

$ value makes some sense as a bet on Podz's future. If he's terrible then he can also be sent down with no cap consequence, even on a one way contract.

I don't think Podz had any leverage to demand more money so I see the $1M as an investment for the 2nd year at a marginally higher salary than he was entitled to as a RFA (about $.875M if I'm not mistaken). Hopefully it shows management's confidence in him and translates to improved on-ice play. He's played well since his call up, just not much production.

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I could see him clearing if he's playing very poorly. If, for instance, he starts the year with 1 point in 23 games or something, I'm not sure another team will claim him, given they'd have to have him on their NHL roster.

I doubt Podkolzin would clear waivers next season, even if he has a poor year.  He will be 23 next season.  As a former 10th overall pick somebody would take a chance on him.  Most likely a bottom feeder who is at the top of the waiver list...

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I doubt Podkolzin would clear waivers next season, even if he has a poor year.  He will be 23 next season.  As a former 10th overall pick somebody would take a chance on him.  Most likely a bottom feeder who is at the top of the waiver list...

Yeah no way a team like the Hawks or Sharks would pass on him.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2