[Signing] Canucks extend Podkolzin for 2 years

2 hours ago, arsenalian said:

We can’t play the Leafs in the first round.

Oh wait, did you think Leafs were getting out of round 1? That is a bold prediction.

It will always be so hard for Canucks to meet the Champion Leafs in the playoffs

E2wthdhXMAgcBFq.jpg.cdea284d2b4c6bc15950503a22fc13ca.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwarrior said:

I like what I've seen from Podkolzin, just wish he buried a few. But keep it up!!!! 

I think he's going to break out next season offensively. Does that mean 20 goals? Maybe not. But I think he can get pretty close, maybe 17-18 goals? I think he has the offensive instincts to be a regular 20-22 goal scorer. I don't think that's out of his realm, but he needs to bury the chances. He'll be given every opportunity to take a top six role, if he can earn it next season during training camp. Pretty sure he'll be a staple in the line up, it's just a matter of where in the line up he'll be consistently playing. If he's not top six, then it'll probably be a middle six role (if Joshua doesn't return, and if Dak does come back, then Podz is either top six or bottom six). 

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think he's going to break out next season offensively. Does that mean 20 goals? Maybe not. But I think he can get pretty close, maybe 17-18 goals? I think he has the offensive instincts to be a regular 20-22 goal scorer. I don't think that's out of his realm, but he needs to bury the chances. He'll be given every opportunity to take a top six role, if he can earn it next season during training camp. Pretty sure he'll be a staple in the line up, it's just a matter of where in the line up he'll be consistently playing. If he's not top six, then it'll probably be a middle six role (if Joshua doesn't return, and if Dak does come back, then Podz is either top six or bottom six). 

Top six for Podz out of training camp?  I dont see much room currently.  If you let Joshua and Lindholm walk, you still got a bunch of players ahead of him: Boeser. Miller, Petersson, Garland, Mikheyev, and Höglander.  The top six is not wide open.

24 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Top six for Podz out of training camp?  I dont see much room currently.  If you let Joshua and Lindholm walk, you still got a bunch of players ahead of him: Boeser. Miller, Petersson, Garland, Mikheyev, and Höglander.  The top six is not wide open.

Mikheyev over Podz ? 
i think I would try Podz in the top 6, on a Petey line or even with Miller and Boeser. 
Mikheyev I can see some flashes here and there, he could do great in the 3rd line. 

right now, I this this my roster for 24’-25’

Podz Miller Boeser

Hoglander Petey Garland

Mikheyev Joshua xxx <—- need one signing 

PdG Suter Lafferty

Hughes Hronek

Zadorov Tanev

Soucy Myers

Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

18 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

Podkolzin wasn't even his pick though.

There was no way Podz would've been around by the time the Pens first round pick came up In the 2019 Entry Draft. But perhaps back then, PA and Co had Podz on their radar as a desirable pick that year, knowing they couldn't because of their position at 21st. I mean, I'm just speculating but if that's the case, then PA probably still sees what he saw in 2019 with him. 

Sure. He wasn't a PA pick. But PA obviously likes Podz and what he sees to give him that extension. A 'show me' type contract it may be, but I'm confident in that Podz will come through. Management's confident in that he will do as such.

• ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, DexM94 said:

Mikheyev over Podz ? 
i think I would try Podz in the top 6, on a Petey line or even with Miller and Boeser. 
Mikheyev I can see some flashes here and there, he could do great in the 3rd line. 

right now, I this this my roster for 24’-25’

Podz Miller Boeser

Hoglander Petey Garland

Mikheyev Joshua xxx <—- need one signing 

PdG Suter Lafferty

Hughes Hronek

Zadorov Tanev

Soucy Myers

Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

Suter Miller boeser

Hoglander Pettersson ________

Garland _______ Mikheyev 

Podkolzin ______  _______

Hughes Hronek

Soucey _______

Juulsen _______

Demko 

Silovs

Have a playoff run to get through, good chance we don't get to bring back many of our UFA's but I'm sure most would love to bring back Joshua and Zadorov 

• Cheers 2

Even if he simply sticks as a capable middle six guy that's a win from a 10OA pick

Most guys at 10 don't exactly pop off, getting a guy like Rantanen is an outlier 

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl-draft/en/overall/10-overall-draft-picks-players-all-time-points-leaders.html

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/draft_by_pick.php?position=10

2 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Suter Miller boeser

Garland _______ Mikheyev 

Hughes Hronek

Soucey _______

Juulsen _______

Demko 

Silovs

Have a playoff run to get through, good chance we don't get to bring back many of our UFA's but I'm sure most would love to bring back Joshua and Zadorov 

I'd be OK with signing Joshua and Zadorov and letting the other FAs walk (if they want too much - a team friendly deal would also be good).  GCG!

10 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

If Lindy stays we have a top 9. 

9 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Suter Miller boeser

Garland _______ Mikheyev 

Hughes Hronek

Soucey _______

Juulsen _______

Demko 

Silovs

I want to bring back Joshua (3.5 x 5), Zad (4.25 x 5), Desmith (1.8 x 2).

Hope that Mikheyev is fully healed, he played well with Miller and Boeser.

Plus Lafferty (1.2 x 3), Cole (2.5 x 1) and Friedman (775k x 2) for depth if they can get them on team friendly deals. Otherwise find similar depth guys for those roles.

Don't think we can afford to bring back Blueger and Myers. Instead add Tanev (4.5 x 2) and someone like Sam Carrick as a RH'ed 4C (1.2 x 2) and the roster is fairly complete. Something like this:

Mikheyev Miller Boeser

Joshua Pettersson Garland

Hoglander Suter Podkolzin

PDG Carrick Lafferty

(Aman)

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Tanev

Zadorov Juulsen

(Cole Friedman)

Demko 

Desmith

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Looks like Podz is ready for full time.This looks to be a great deal if he takes the next step and becomes the player that plays hard as goals will come.

Agree he's ready for the big leagues, but he has a long way to go to get anywhere near his drafted (#10 OA) potential. This deal is about right for both parties at this point.

I didn't know Podz spent 3 years in the KHL. Some players {Kuzmenko leaps to mind} have trouble adjusting to the smaller rink size, especially defensively.

I could see Podz was over thinking the game for long stretches and hopefully everything is dialed in now.

48 minutes ago, Craig Coxe said:

I didn't know Podz spent 3 years in the KHL. Some players {Kuzmenko leaps to mind} have trouble adjusting to the smaller rink size, especially defensively.

I could see Podz was over thinking the game for long stretches and hopefully everything is dialed in now.

From what I recall of our acquisition of Podz 10th overall; he was considered to go top 5 in that draft; scouting reporters and draft analyzers waxing ecstatic on Podz in that draft year.  However, my understanding was that he had commitments to the KHL and wouldn't be available till two seasons after his 2019 draft year. Because of such some teams were scared to pick him so he miraculously fell to us at number 10. JB couldn't believe his luck and snatched him up. 

To me this was a brilliant move on JB's part. I'm guessing JB was confident that Podz would make the move to Vancouver after his KHL commitments instead of staying in Russia. Which I believe is what scared teams picking before the Canucks thought might happen. JB and company blundered in other ares, but the drafting during his tenure as Canucks GM got some positive results. We need not talk of JB's draft fails though. We all know those, don't we!

4 hours ago, Sativika said:

From what I recall of our acquisition of Podz 10th overall; he was considered to go top 5 in that draft; scouting reporters and draft analyzers waxing ecstatic on Podz in that draft year.  However, my understanding was that he had commitments to the KHL and wouldn't be available till two seasons after his 2019 draft year. Because of such some teams were scared to pick him so he miraculously fell to us at number 10. JB couldn't believe his luck and snatched him up. 

To me this was a brilliant move on JB's part. I'm guessing JB was confident that Podz would make the move to Vancouver after his KHL commitments instead of staying in Russia. Which I believe is what scared teams picking before the Canucks thought might happen. JB and company blundered in other ares, but the drafting during his tenure as Canucks GM got some positive results. We need not talk of JB's draft fails though. We all know those, don't we!

let's not get too excited by the drafting of Podz at 10th OA. JB could have taken any one of Boldy, Knight, Caufield, Pinto or Newhook with that pick...

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Mikheyev is not a top-six player. 

He is by definition.  Played alongside Pettersson for the vast majority of his shifts.  Tocchet likes him - why else would he keep a guy who's scored one goal since Decemeber on a line with Petey?

14 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

let's not get too excited by the drafting of Podz at 10th OA. JB could have taken any one of Boldy, Knight, Caufield, Pinto or Newhook with that pick...

You know what's wild?  All five guys you mentioned went to college to play hockey.  That was a great draft year for Boston College.

6 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

He is by definition.  Played alongside Pettersson for the vast majority of his shifts.  Tocchet likes him - why else would he keep a guy who's scored one goal since Decemeber on a line with Petey?

Because this team have 0 wingers capable of playing in the top 6 outside of boeser and atm hoglander. He have the highest goals in a season in his career out of the bunch. It’s actually pretty sad and pathetic of the players we plugged into the top 6 this season outside of hoglander and boeser didn’t count garland since he’s mostly playing 3rd line. Suter mik pdg laffety and whoever else we plugged in there outside of the hoglander boeser combined for prolly less than 5 total goal scored since the all star break.. ok we can toss lindholm to the list that prolly bring it to less than 10 goals and really he’s not even playing in the top 6.. like what other option do they have outside of mikheyev to stick on there?? When really all of them shouldn’t even be there on a contending team

6 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Much rather have Pods at 1 mil per than Caufield at 8. Newhook is craperolla. Pinto is a lemon. Night can’t stop a beach ball. Isn’t Boldy golfing? 
It’s losing teams that allocate big cap dollars to loser players. 

7 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Mikheyev was moved to the 3rd line and even the 4th line. Wasn’t he playing on a line with Podkolzin and Suter?  

Mikheyev being in the top 6 has more to do with the lack of top 6 wingers on this team versus Mikheyev being a top 6 winger. 

At $4.75 million he probably can’t play in the bottom 6 next season. I can see him being traded to create cap space for Joshua and Lindholm. 

• Like 1