[First Round] Dallas Stars (C1) vs. Vegas Golden Knights (WC2)

Who will win the series?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Stars in 7
    • Stars in 6
    • Stars in 5
    • Stars in 4
    • Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

Damn, hopefully Dallas can get the next one and claw their way back into the series, it's hard to see any team beating Vegas four straight now that they're healthy. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

On 4/22/2024 at 2:01 PM, Master Mind said:

I hope this one is more interesting than last year where Vegas went up 3-0.

Looking like we'll get the same script.

Glad we didn't get Vegas round 1. Mostly the same as last year's championship team but upgraded on D with Hanifin and swapped Reilly Smith with Hertl.

• Cheers 1

Imagine being considered the cup favourites, made some great TDL acquisitions and then lose both home games to the 8th seed. Dallas could get swept here. As loaded as Vegas are this would be a bigger upset than Nashville beating us.

I’ve spent about 6 years in Texas and never met a single stars fan. This is concerning to about 0.000638% of Texas. I bet there are more people in Canada directly and indirectly related to the players. 

• ThereItIs 2

12 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I’ve spent about 6 years in Texas and never met a single stars fan. This is concerning to about 0.000638% of Texas. I bet there are more people in Canada directly and indirectly related to the players. 

That's nothing, I have a cousin that lived in Chicago from 2908 to mid 2010's. I was there visiting occasionally around 2011-2013 and he didn't even know Chicago had an NHL team 😂

But he was aware of the Bulls, Cubs, and the White Sox

Edited by iinatcc

24 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

That's nothing, I have a cousin that lived in Chicago from 2908 to mid 2010's. I was there visiting occasionally around 2011-2013 and he didn't even know Chicago had an NHL team 😂

Yes, I’ve also spent a long time in Pennsylvania. Met maybe 5 people that liked the Pens and 1 Flyer fan. Roughly 2 hrs from both cities. Lol. 

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Imagine being considered the cup favourites, made some great TDL acquisitions and then lose both home games to the 8th seed. Dallas could get swept here. As loaded as Vegas are this would be a bigger upset than Nashville beating us.

Not sure how Vegas getting their best player back, adding two blue chip players at the TDL, makes them "underdogs", they are the cup champs, but a little surprised Dallas wasn't able to split.   Dallas got boned, their GM can't be happy about this. 

Picked Dallas to go to the final against CAR based on last years playoffs, at the start of the year.    Picked Dallas to win this series too, but not in four or five.   It's an upset i'm sure to Dallas fans, they got boned too.   Can see in the future, that teams are given a choice which wild card they'd like to play if they win a division.   Canuck media was all over this for about a month thinking we might be the team getting "boned". 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Not sure how Vegas getting their best player back, adding two blue chip players at the TDL, makes them "underdogs", they are the cup champs, but a little surprised Dallas wasn't able to split.   Dallas got boned, their GM can't be happy about this. 

I assume in the naked eye people will see Vegas as the underdogs and could be this year's Cinderellla team

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Can see in the future, that teams are given a choice which wild card they'd like to play if they win a division.   Canuck media was all over this for about a month thinking we might be the team getting "boned". 

With the NHL trying to expand and the success of the NBA's play in tournament I think the playoff format will change anyways. Once the team reaches 17 teams per conference I can see the NHL employing some sort of play in tournament similar to the NBA. In which case Vegas could likely move up a spot. 

I think this should be enough since it will likely lead to the better team placing higher in the standings.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I think this is more a case of your cousin being real, real dumb than it is representative of one of the most well supported and storied franchises in league history. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

I think this is more a case of your cousin being real, real dumb than it is representative of one of the most well supported and storied franchises in league history. 

Not really. The anonymity provided nhl players living in US cities is why many of them choose to play down there. Hockey is king up here but the 2 of Clubs down there. 

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

I assume in the naked eye people will see Vegas as the underdogs and could be this year's Cinderellla team

With the NHL trying to expand and the success of the NBA's play in tournament I think the playoff format will change anyways. Once the team reaches 17 teams per conference I can see the NHL employing some sort of play in tournament similar to the NBA. In which case Vegas could likely move up a spot. 

I think this should be enough since it will likely lead to the better team placing higher in the standings.

Personally feel that the NHL is already big enough that a play-in tournament like the bubble makes a lot of sense.   

Reduce the schedule one home and one away game a year.    Down to 80 games.   For decades it was a 78-80 game schedule.    And add the play-ins, a five game series where the wild card teams have home ice, and play the next best in their conference.  

It's absolutely ridiculous, that teams can go a decade or two, and barely sniff the playoffs.   EDM, Buffalo, CAR,  VAN, soon to be SJ, DET...it's no a 3-5 year cycle, it's a 6-11ish year cycle.    It's disheartening.    16 teams make it, and at least half the spots are more or less going to be used up by the team with the most competitive advantages,  the remaining spots 16 or so teams are constantly fighting for (then another 8 or so looking towards the draft).    Rebuilding these days is not like pre-cap, where players were traded like hockey cards.   Makes it awfully difficult to have back to back good-great teams without a long period of rebuilding, often failed and re-started.   

The only teams I can think of off the top of my head, that have managed this,  Dallas,  TB (they were awesome in 2011),   Boston and the NYR.

CAR missed 9 in a row.   Buffalo is double digits now (is it 11? or 12...?).   Canucks first home game in a decade, and doubt we'd of made it the covid year, Tanev was out, Toffoli scored but the team couldn't win without Brock.   

EDM waited forever to get their superstar.    Never seen a team get so many first overall - top 3 picks and not make it work.    ANA and OTT are well into their rebuilds.    How much longer for them?   

If 20 teams were involved, instead of 16 it would help.   As for expansion, i'm dead set against it.   The league has taken decades to catch up to it as it is, had to change the rules, create gimmicks to boost offense.   I'd be all for re-locating floundering franchises, expansion ... ugh.   Not a fan.   It took decades, lockouts and rule changes to get offense up.   That could go sideways awfully fast.    Too many teams still ice AHLers.     First time in over a decade we've been able to ice 6 legit NHL d-men.    

Not every generation is as good as the previous one.    This current one is better than the one before it, who wasn't as good as the one before that, who was on par with the one before them.     Can't expect that the talent is going to maintain its current levels, expansion waters things down each time.    It's not an automatic the product is sustainable.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, tas said:

Especially if he's from Canada.   Hilarious.    Even then, an original six team, it would be like a Canadian having no idea who the NY Yankees were, or Dallas Cowboys or LA Lakers almost. 

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Especially if he's from Canada.   Hilarious.    Even then, an original six team, it would be like a Canadian having no idea who the NY Yankees were, or Dallas Cowboys or LA Lakers almost. 

The vast majority of Americans have no clue about hockey.

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not really. The anonymity provided nhl players living in US cities is why many of them choose to play down there. Hockey is king up here but the 2 of Clubs down there. 

chicagoans know about the blackhawks. period. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sure would be pleasurable to watch the Stars lose. 

The Vegas Bettmans have no excuse, they should win it all with their LTIR cheating. 

So watching Sallad get humbled is fun, I'll take it. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Would think that Nashville is close to even money or favourite with Demko out.