[First Round] Edmonton Oilers (P2) vs. Los Angeles Kings (P3)

Who will win the series?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Oilers in 7
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 4
    • Kings in 4
    • Kings in 5
    • Kings in 6
    • Kings in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

image.thumb.png.1cb0a46a8be05f7c1f25dcda5621768e.png

Game 1 - April 22 - Los Angeles Kings @ Edmonton Oilers

Game 2 - April 24 - Los Angeles Kings @ Edmonton Oilers

Game 3 - April 26 - Edmonton Oilers @ Los Angeles Kings

Game 4 - April 28 - Edmonton Oilers @ Los Angeles Kings

Game 5 - May 1 - Los Angeles Kings @ Edmonton Oilers

Game 6 - May 3 - Edmonton Oilers @ Los Angeles Kings

Game 7 - May 5 - Los Angeles Kings @ Edmonton Oilers

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/oilers-to-play-kings-in-round-1/

The Edmonton Oilers and Los Angeles Kings meeting in Round 1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs is starting to become an every-year thing.

After the Kings went to overtime with the Chicago Blackhawks and the Vegas Golden Knights' lost to the Anaheim Ducks on Thursday, the first-round matchup was made official as Los Angeles finished third in the Pacific Division.

Not only is it the third straight year the two teams have faced off in Round 1, but it's also the third time the Oilers and Kings have finished second and third in the Pacific Division, respectively.

The Kings and Oilers matchup was anything but a sure thing as it all came down to the wee hours of Friday morning with the final two games on the NHL schedule..

With the Golden Knights' loss to the Ducks, and the Kings up 3-1 on the Blackhawks headed to the third, most were already prepping for a Kings-Oilers series. But after three unanswered third-period goals from the Blackhawks to take a 4-3 lead, suddenly it looked like the Oilers would be taking on the defending Cup champs instead.

The matchup then got flipped for a final time after the Kings levelled the game thanks to a Viktor Arvidsson goal (on the power play and with the goalie pulled) with just over a minute remaining in the third, sending the game to overtime, and clinching the division's No. 3 spot. The Kings went on to win 5-4 in OT.

Los Angeles will be hoping the result of this year's clash is different than the previous two seasons, as the Oilers eliminated the Kings in seven games in 2022, then six in 2023.

This season, the Oilers hold a 3-1 record over the Kings.

After falling to the final wild-card spot, the defending Stanley Cup champion Golden Knights booked a round one date with the Dallas Stars — the Western Conference's No. 1 seed.

The two first-round matchups already set in the West were the Vancouver Canucks vs. the Nashville Predators and the Winnipeg Jets vs. the Colorado Avalanche.

Edited by Rubik

• Rubik changed the title to [First Round] Edmonton Oilers (P2) vs. Los Angeles Kings (P3)

I think the easiest way out of the Pacific for us is Nashville and Edmonton.

The later we get Edmonton the better as the whistles get put away more and more as we get through the rounds.

Who knows on the other side, nice that only one of Stars, Avs or VGK will survive to loose to us in WCF.

This will be an interesting matchup. Will Doughty let the Oilers beat them the 3rd straight time in the 1st round? That's going to be some big humiliation.

I hope they take it to game 7, make it a bloody battle. 

7 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

It's a sneaky bad match-up for the Oilers.  If Kings can keep it tight they can play their trap game but mcdavid is certainly the dude with the speed to break down a trap.

Unless it’s on the power play I don’t see McWhiner Baby doing much. Kings will be very physical with him away from the puck. McLoser will whine and cry to the refs, but the league needs LA to advance so his cries will go unanswered. 
Then in round two we will demolish the Kings. We don’t need power plays to win. Unlike the Smelly Soilers and their McWhiner Baby. 

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

I wanted Edmonton to play Vegas. I didn’t want any chance of meeting the Kings in the second round if the Canucks make it. That said I’m predicting Oilers in 6 as their elite high end skill gives the Kings and their 1-3-1 trouble, but I wouldn’t be totally surprised if the Kings pull through and win as both of the last 2 series were very close and competitive and I believe the Kings are healthier this time around than the last 2 years. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Unless it’s on the power play I don’t see McWhiner Baby doing much. Kings will be very physical with him away from the puck. McLoser will whine and cry to the refs, but the league needs LA to advance so his cries will go unanswered. 
Then in round two we will demolish the Kings. We don’t need power plays to win. Unlike the Smelly Soilers and their McWhiner Baby. 

Well the Kings need pp to beat us hence we will be short handed a lot due to biased reffing. Gonna be Canucks vs refs each round 

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I think the easiest way out of the Pacific for us is Nashville and Edmonton.

The later we get Edmonton the better as the whistles get put away more and more as we get through the rounds.

Who knows on the other side, nice that only one of Stars, Avs or VGK will survive to loose to us in WCF.

There's no easy no easy no easy way out 

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

There's no easy no easy no easy way out 

Wow. That was cheesy. Nice to see a pro using a budget guitar though. 

‘Never said there was easy way, there are no undeserving playoff teams in the west (a couple in the East).  As far as matchups and how things are shaking out for playoff brackets though I don’t think there was a better spot to be. 
Only potential matchup I don’t like in first couple rounds would be LA and we have the goaltending advantage by a lot, can match them at centre and probably have better scoring depth. 

Honestly don't know what way to go for this matchup. If LA can shutdown McDavid their depth can win it for them. But, McDavid and his speed have the potential to break apart LA's system. It might actually end up being a more interesting series to watch than I first thought.

22 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Will be interesting to see if the staunchy defense of the Kings can shut down the high flying Oilers.

LA knows that they have to play a physical game to beat the Oilers. The question is whether the Oilers can avoid injury to their top line and whether they have the fortitude to overcome the physicality? The other question might be whether the Oiler d-side game and goal tending is good enough. It probably is and the Oilers should win this series. The new Oiler coach has done a better job of balancing this roster. 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

LA knows that they have to play a physical game to beat the Oilers. The question is whether the Oilers can avoid injury to their top line and whether they have the fortitude to overcome the physicality? The other question might be whether the Oiler d-side game and goal tending is good enough. It probably is and the Oilers should win this series. The new Oiler coach has done a better job of balancing this roster. 

EDM defence is not good enough, they will have to score their way out of trouble as usual.

If the refs get involved too much then the series will go EDMs way, but if the special teams time is low LA takes it. 

LA will be very disciplined imo.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bob Long said:

EDM defence is not good enough, they will have to score their way out of trouble as usual.

If the refs get involved too much then the series will go EDMs way, but if the special teams time is low LA takes it. 

LA will be very disciplined imo.

The first goal is key.  The Kings have become an elite defensive unit with that godforsaken 1-3-1.  The gameplan for both sides is very simple.  Edmonton needs to carry the puck in with speed and enter the O-zone with possession.  They have the players to pull that off, but they need to consistently break down the 1-3-1 to make a difference.  Los Angeles... needs to stop that zone entry at all costs and force them to dump and chase.  If they let McDrai set up in a 5v5 situation, they are going to get cooked.

A surprising weakness of LAK is their ability to retrieve dump-ins.  They're actually bottom of the league in retrievals, ahead of only CBJ and BUF.  Since the 1-3-1 deploys just one defender behind the zone, that makes sense.  Ironic given how the system tries to force attackers to dump.  We'll see how good the Oilers are with their 1-2-2 forecheck.

Edited by Miss Korea
  • ThereItIs 1