Ethan Bear coming back eventually?

I would be all for it, might be a couple months into the year and hopefully by then we can move Myers and get a pick with us retaining then sign Bear to replace him on the 3rd pairing. But I also like Juulsen and the edge he brings to his game so I am hoping he can make the team out of camp even as the extra D if need be. But he showed well with Hughes, they can shelter his minutes a bit and put out Hughes Hronek for offensive draws to keep Juulsen's minutes down to not overplay him.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Does anyone think Ethan Bear comes back and is just waiting. They both might have a verbal agreement in place? It sounded like he was still set on signing here when he's done rehabbing. 

Yes. That last Province article made it sound like both parties are just waiting for Vancouver to clear cap space

• ThereItIs 1

If soucy cant play with Hughes I think its basically a guaranteed necessity that we bring him back

We cant roll into next year with mcward/juulsen in our top-6. Imagine what happens when one of our defensemen gets an injury, god forbid. 

thing is.. with the pearson out, desmith in move.. we still only have about 500k in space. Assuming he replaces Rathbone in our current active lineup (850k) thats 1.35 million. 

If Bear is signed a month or so into the season, we can afford.. 1.5m max?

The hope would be that he'd sign for that with a big raise next year if he succeeds.

On 9/24/2023 at 9:59 AM, aGENT said:

Fit? He can replace Myers on 3rd pair RD when/if we move him. While certainly not the "ideal", long term Hughes partner, he also still plays well with Hughes. Could be a decent, cheap stop gap there that allows us to put Soucy back in a more suitable 3rd pair role and run 3 VERY capable pairs, with guys all on their natural sides.

Hughes, Bear

Cole, Hronek

Soucy, Myers

Would be the best D we've run in YEARS.

would feel much more confident in being a playoff team if this is the D we run with

3 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I thought we were trying to improve???

Why go back to someone who was just OK?

Great fella, sure. But he is nothing special and we don’t really need him. 

Because he can either replace Myers on the 3rd pair for cheap when/if we move him, or be a cheap stop gap to play with Hughes, have everyone on their strong side, and have arguably the best D we've had in years.

Short of trading for Pesce, we're just not going to be able to put together a better defense than:

Hughes, Bear

Cole, Hronek

Soucy, Myers

... THIS year. Even if he's definitely no one's idea of Hughes' ideal long term partner.

• Cheers 2

Personally, I'm not sold on Bear. If we really need him then we won't have another choice, but I don't think he's the answer to our problems of finding a partner for Hughes. I think that'll come mid-season via trade. By the time Bear is ready to go, he'll then take a long while to get up to speed, and by that time it'll be February before he can make an impact.

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I thought we were trying to improve???

Why go back to someone who was just OK?

Great fella, sure. But he is nothing special and we don’t really need him

Sounds like something that could grow into a legendary thread title if only there was a hope in hell of Bear ever having the kind of impact on us all that Burr did 😄

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I don’t agree with that. Myers’ first season, where he won the Calder trophy was pretty good.

It's kind of a ridiculous post really.  Bear has struggled to get a contract.   3rd team already.  Of course Myers was a better player at the same age so far.  He's had one season with over 20 minutes a game (his rookie season and just barely).   He's still a tweener that could find a role in the NHL, and is probably drooling at the chance to play with QHs.    Myers has all 14 seasons playing 20:54-25:00plus a game.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's kind of a ridiculous post really.  Bear has struggled to get a contract.   3rd team already.  Of course Myers was a better player at the same age so far.  He's had one season with over 20 minutes a game.   Myers has 14 seasons playing 20:54-25:00plus a game.    

Myers is fine as a puck mover on a third pairing. He struggles when asked to play over his head. He won the Calder and then when asked to take on more struggled exactly what is happening with Slo Mo. he too won the Calder then got asked to do more when we stole Hronek and struggled. Guys need to play a role that is best for their talent. Myers and Slo Mo are third pairing D. If they are playing more minutes then they should their teams will struggle. And that’s exactly what’s happened. 

• Cheers 1