[Specualtion] Canucks considering buying out Mikheyev contract

Snapshots: Hronek, Mikheyev, Okhotyuk, Abramov

May 23rd, 2024 at 8:29pm CST • By Brian La Rose

Still with Vancouver, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman suggested in the latest 32 Thoughts podcast (audio link) that the Canucks might consider buying out Ilya Mikheyev this offseason. The 29-year-old wound up with a respectable 11 goals and 20 assists in 78 games this season but his production cratered as the year went on as he managed just a single tally and nine helpers in his final 45 regular season and was held off the scoresheet altogether in 11 playoff contests.  Mikheyev has two years left on his deal that carries a $4.75MM AAV; a buyout would carry a cap charge of $1.15MM next season, $2.15MM in 2025-26, and $1.55MM for two more years after that.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/05/snapshots-hronek-mikheyev-okhotyuk-abramov.html#ref=home

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Just add the required pick and trade the guy. We dont need any more dead cap.

We’ve traded too many picks.

Id be good with those cap hits as we will have cheap replacements likely ready by year two of that buyout.

• Cheers 4

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I’d rather save those picks for deadline deals.

That buyout would save us 3.6 mil next season. That’s like enough to re-sign Joshua and Blueger right there.

Yeah fair point. Either way I’m happy to hear we’re looking to move on and not sitting on our hands with that contract.

That said it’s still just speculation from Friedman at this point. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

If those picks pan out they are ELCs and keeping the team competitive down the road solving possibly much bigger future problems than Mik is to us right now…. Some very tough decisions management has to make coming up and I can’t but help be on board with whatever they decide so much confidence in our front office, fingers crossed hronek gets us back in the first round next month 

32 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Just add the required pick and trade the guy. We dont need any more dead cap.

While there will always be rebuilding teams who will take bad contracts. With the Coyotes relocating to Salt Lake City to presumably try to be competitive the League's perennial garbage can for bad contracts appears to have closed.

• Cheers 1

Just play him and see if he can come back Garland-style, I'd be surprised if he COULDN'T make it back to his form.  Seeing Conor and Boeser rebound to form gives me hope.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Surely with the cap going up we can trade a pick or two and have someone else buy him out.  Mik was a significant mistake from management.  I think we are better off tempering our expectations and playing him in a Garland (pre 2024) like role where he is an expensive bottom 6 forward and just let his deal run out.  Maybe he refinds his game.  The guy is just not that bad other than the fact that he can't finish for shit.  Maybe one summer working on his shot would work wonders.

1 minute ago, Sell.the.team said:

Surely with the cap going up we can trade a pick or two and have someone else buy him out.  Mik was a significant mistake from management.  I think we are better off tempering our expectations and playing him in a Garland (pre 2024) like role where he is an expensive bottom 6 forward and just let his deal run out.  Maybe he refinds his game.  The guy is just not that bad other than the fact that he can't finish for shit.  Maybe one summer working on his shot would work wonders.

We already have a great 3rd line if they all come back. Mikheyev would have to play on the 4th line which isn’t going to happen. 

Allvin isn’t dumb enough to think Mikheyev can play in the top 6. He even admitted that in the press conference. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

@HKSR

So if they buy out Mikheyev, technically he wouldn’t be traded. So our friendly bet is voided. 

No Garland avatar for me…

🥳

Oh you just wait.  It's gonna happen my friend lol

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

@HKSR

So if they buy out Mikheyev, technically he wouldn’t be traded. So our friendly bet is voided. 

🥳

@HKSR

🥳

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We already have a great 3rd line if they all come back. Mikheyev would have to play on the 4th line which isn’t going to happen. 

Allvin isn’t dumb enough to think Mikheyev can play in the top 6. He even admitted that in the press conference. 

I think that our "great 3rd line" could easily be a second line.  Garland deserves top 6 minutes.  So does Lindholm.  Dak didn't have the best playoffs but he had some big moments and has shown he can be a skill guy.

I think giving up on him now is the wrong idea.  The dead cap over the next 3 years is brutal if we buy him out now.  Just cause he had a poor playoffs doesn't mean he can't salvage his career.  And if management determines that they really cant keep him we are better to pay the piper and trade him.

1 minute ago, Sell.the.team said:

I think that our "great 3rd line" could easily be a second line.  Garland deserves top 6 minutes.  So does Lindholm.  Dak didn't have the best playoffs but he had some big moments and has shown he can be a skill guy.

I think giving up on him now is the wrong idea.  The dead cap over the next 3 years is brutal if we buy him out now.  Just cause he had a poor playoffs doesn't mean he can't salvage his career.  And if management determines that they really cant keep him we are better to pay the piper and trade him.

Of course we aren’t buying out Mik. Eastern media making a suggestion of something we could do. Not any fact to it.