Andrei Kuzmenko | #96 | LW

-AJ-

On 10/20/2023 at 3:57 PM, -AJ- said:

I've heard Tocchet comment how how he wants Kuz to still play his creative game, but I do wonder if maybe behind closed doors at practice, the structure is getting to him. I'm not too concerned, as 2 points in 4 games isn't horrible. If he gets two points tomorrow, then we're at 4 in 5 games and all is well again.

Welp, whaddaya know.

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I didn't catch any post game interviews, any word on the chap?

I looked around the hockey sites this am and this is all I saw:

Kuzmenko writhed in pain as play was halted, but eventually was able to skate off the ice and towards the medical room.

“He's good,” a relieved Miller said afterward. “He was smiling in here after the game, so he's alright.”

A couple of lines in an Imac article on how wonderful the Canucks are.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/we-believe-in-ourselves-canucks-hughes-plays-ot-hero-to-spoil-horvats-return/

44 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I didn't catch any post game interviews, any word on the chap?

31 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I looked around the hockey sites this am and this is all I saw:

Kuzmenko writhed in pain as play was halted, but eventually was able to skate off the ice and towards the medical room.

“He's good,” a relieved Miller said afterward. “He was smiling in here after the game, so he's alright.”

A couple of lines in an Imac article on how wonderful the Canucks are.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/we-believe-in-ourselves-canucks-hughes-plays-ot-hero-to-spoil-horvats-return/

Kate Pettersson also had a post about how Kuzmenko had an IG story saying he was fine. I suspect he might miss a game or two, but nothing more. Probably just a ton of dental work.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Cocanuck said:

Im afraid this benching is perhaps not as performance based as personal..  i hope im wrong but kuz perhaps isnt the player that tochet prefers..  i hope he comes back strong but he is fighting an uphill battle..  

your probably right unfortunately. Biased for sure. I’m not a fan of tochet regardless of his record with the Canucks. I hope his stint is short. 

He hasn’t looked that bad IMHO. His spin around passes are getting predictable, has more take always than giveaways, his passing on the PP is quite accurate and comes out on top with the puck in board battles. I think the 2nd lines issues have evolved more so on Peteys issues of late. Kuzy and Mikayeve forcing pressure with or without the puck but petey seems to be coming in late effecting numbers on the puck and possession time. Petey seems to be hanging back worried about the puck coming back instead of pressuring up ice. Obviously just my opinion though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kurtis said:

your probably right unfortunately. Biased for sure. I’m not a fan of tochet regardless of his record with the Canucks. I hope his stint is short. 

I think he is a very good coach and hopefully kuz will come around.  He has a tremendous amount of skill that i hope doesnt benefit another team

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Cocanuck said:

I think he is a very good coach and hopefully kuz will come around.  He has a tremendous amount of skill that i hope doesnt benefit another team

Does Kuz become a piece that brings back a 2RD? I was surprised that he sat out another game. Maybe PA has something in the works.

Edited by Boudrias
  • Upvote 1

I have to say I am starting to get concerned Tocchet is going to tank Kuzmenko's career. It's pretty clear Kuzmenko doesn't naturally play the brand of hockey Tocchet wants and Tocchet seems too stubborn to let him play any other way. Sometimes it's okay to let players play to their strengths. Kuzmenko has a ton of skill and I think Tocchet needs to give him the freedom to use it and take risks and let Mikheyev and Petey do the heavy lifting defensively.

If Tocchet isn't going to give Kuzmenko more freedom, it might be best to trade him before his value drops (but Lafferty is very much not the solution to replace him).

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Does Kuz become a piece that brings back a 2RD? I was surprised that he sat out another game. Maybe PA has something in the works.

After our performance in Seatle I expected that RT would go with the same lineup. Kuzmenko might still be feeling the effects of that large knot on his jaw but based on his play prior to the puck hitting him in the face, he didn't warrant a rushed return to play. After this loss, he will probably draw back in for the next game.

I've been thinking that if we could get an uptick in play from Kuz, similar to his better moments of last year, that we should try and move him. I want productive but hard to play against forwards in our top six. I know that he had 39 goals last year but I don't believe that Kuzmenko will ever amount to a player that you win with. For me, he is too much of a nice guy. And as the old adage goes "nice guys finish last" (or out of the playoffs).

9 hours ago, Boudrias said:

With Willander getting comparisons to Charlie McAvoy, maybe it's best to find a LHD who can play with him long-term in a trade?

Hughes - Hronek

Trade - Willander

Soucy - UFA/Myers

Edited by J-23

7 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I have to say I am starting to get concerned Tocchet is going to tank Kuzmenko's career. It's pretty clear Kuzmenko doesn't naturally play the brand of hockey Tocchet wants and Tocchet seems too stubborn to let him play any other way. Sometimes it's okay to let players play to their strengths. Kuzmenko has a ton of skill and I think Tocchet needs to give him the freedom to use it and take risks and let Mikheyev and Petey do the heavy lifting defensively.

If Tocchet isn't going to give Kuzmenko more freedom, it might be best to trade him before his value drops (but Lafferty is very much not the solution to replace him).

I just don't think that line works well to be honest, like Rick said they are too perimeter and too soft. 

I hope it works out with Kuzmenko because it is difficult to get top line wingers. 

However if it doesn't I would like to see something like this long-term. Move Mikheyev to the 2nd line and let them be an even better shutdown line. 

Konecny/Crouse - Pettersson - Podkolzin/Hoglander

Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

With Willander getting comparisons to Charlie McAvoy, maybe it's best to find a LHD who can play with him long-term in a trade?

Hughes - Hronek

Trade - Willander

Soucy - UFA/Myers

We do need another NHL quality left side defenseman!

By trade? I think that I would prefer to get this d-man in "Free Agency" this summer. Ian Cole is on a one year contract and that should allow us to upgrade this position on July 1st.

Question: How long do you think it will take before Willander joins the Canucks?

I'm thinking that it will be two years, this year and next year. Maybe at the end of next year's NCAA season. Willander is still 18 years old, with a February birthdate. Interesting that he is getting comparisons to McAvoy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

I just don't think that line works well to be honest, like Rick said they are too perimeter and too soft. 

I hope it works out with Kuzmenko because it is difficult to get top line wingers. 

However if it doesn't I would like to see something like this long-term. Move Mikheyev to the 2nd line and let them be an even better shutdown line. 

Konecny/Crouse - Pettersson - Podkolzin/Hoglander

Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser

I agree with you.

The line with EP40 and Kuzmenko is not working well this year. Interesting because last year they had insane chemistry together. I didn't like it when Kuz mentioned that he was going to Bali for the summer to train. Bali is a tropical paradise with a large Russian diaspora which has a penchant for partying hard. He probably did train but being around friends (and family?) not to the same extent that he might have here, where there are little or no distractions. Supposition on my part but would have preferred that Kuzmenko stay in Canada, get a trainer and come to training camp in the best shape of his life.

Mikheyev is starting to play quite well, with a lot of pace and a nose for the net. I like your suggestion of Mikheyev on the left wing of the Miller line.

Would have to find a left winger to play with the EP40 line. There are a couple of in-house options. Maybe one of our prospects (Lekkermaki?) will be ready to move up next year.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, J-23 said:

Hughes - Hronek

Trade - Willander

Soucy - UFA/Myers

The age gap between Willander and Hronek may be enough to just groom him as Hronek's eventual replacement.

9 hours ago, Artemus said:

I agree with you.

The line with EP40 and Kuzmenko is not working well this year. Interesting because last year they had insane chemistry together. I didn't like it when Kuz mentioned that he was going to Bali for the summer to train. Bali is a tropical paradise with a large Russian diaspora which has a penchant for partying hard. He probably did train but being around friends (and family?) not to the same extent that he might have here, where there are little or no distractions. Supposition on my part but would have preferred that Kuzmenko stay in Canada, get a trainer and come to training camp in the best shape of his life.

Mikheyev is starting to play quite well, with a lot of pace and a nose for the net. I like your suggestion of Mikheyev on the left wing of the Miller line.

Would have to find a left winger to play with the EP40 line. There are a couple of in-house options. Maybe one of our prospects (Lekkermaki?) will be ready to move up next year.

How the tide churns. Last year CDC wanted Kuz signed long term at $8 mil. Now, not so much. Moving players is always about the return. I suspect Kuz, Beau, Garland and Meyers are all talked about with other teams. Last years's numbers probably makes Kuz I high target for many clubs. I have warmed up to Garland a lot as his consistency is solid. I just wish he found the net more often. While I think all 4 of these players are movable it might be closer to the TDL and the Canuck need as they work towards a playoff birth. 

As you accurately point out the Canucks have serious options in the depth roster. What a novel concept. 🙂 

21 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

By the time Willander is here, Myers will be long gone. 

Maybe... but maybe not. I could see a possible scenario where the team resigns Myers to a two year contract. That would leave a possible overlap if Willander made the jump in two years.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

Maybe... but maybe not. I could see a possible scenario where the team resigns Myers to a two year contract. That would leave a possible overlap if Willander made the jump in two years.

Could happen, but the safer bet is 3 or maybe 4 years for Willander. This year plus one more in NCAA and then one year in Abbotsford before breaking into the NHL. Maybe two years in Abby if he takes a bit slower to develop. I'd be quite surprised if Myers is here three or four years from now.

Just now, -AJ- said:

Could happen, but the safer bet is 3 or maybe 4 years for Willander. This year plus one more in NCAA and then one year in Abbotsford before breaking into the NHL. Maybe two years in Abby if he takes a bit slower to develop.

For sure. I'm just saying it's not impossible for him and Myers to overlap, even if it isn't the most likely scenario. 

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

After watching Myers play this year under Tocchet's coaching, I also could see a possible scenario where he is extended for another two years. The sticking point could be money and fitting him in under our cap. Don't know how much the cap will rise and we will need room to fit Hronek and EP within it. Myers would probably have to accept an AAV similar to Soucy. He will probably be offered more on the open market.