Andrei Kuzmenko | #96 | LW

-AJ-

1 hour ago, Artemus said:

After watching Myers play this year under Tocchet's coaching, I also could see a possible scenario where he is extended for another two years. The sticking point could be money and fitting him in under our cap. Don't know how much the cap will rise and we will need room to fit Hronek and EP within it. Myers would probably have to accept an AAV similar to Soucy. He will probably be offered more on the open market.

I like Myers when performing well, but I'd be hesitant to offer him $3M. He probably would earn about $3.5M on the open market, but I'd rather keep the number under $3M for us to keep him. Either a discount or sayonara.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Artemus said:

After watching Myers play this year under Tocchet's coaching, I also could see a possible scenario where he is extended for another two years. The sticking point could be money and fitting him in under our cap. Don't know how much the cap will rise and we will need room to fit Hronek and EP within it. Myers would probably have to accept an AAV similar to Soucy. He will probably be offered more on the open market.

myers at 2.333 million x 2 years feels right 

• Upvote 1

Canucks forward Andrei Kuzmenko admits game has regressed, vows progress

VANCOUVER — Andrei Kuzmenko admits his game is struggling.

The Russian winger had 74 points last season, earning himself a two year US$11 million contract and a place on Vancouver's top line as a reward.

This season has been different.

Kuzmenko has 15 points (four goals, 11 assists) in 21 games this season, has been a healthy scratch twice and took a teammate's shot to the face requiring stitches.

"It doesn't matter if I scored … it doesn't matter if my score doesn't help the team," he said after scoring Vancouver's lone goal in a 4-1 loss to the Vegas Golden Knights on Thursday.

"I need to be better, this I understand. That's why I haven't played (as much) this season."

Kuzmenko scored Thursday after J.T. Miller seized on a loose puck, drove to the net and slid it across to the winger who fired a wrist shot past Logan Thompson.

The top line of Kuzmenko, Ilia Mikheyev and Elias Pettersson has been outscored and outplayed by its second line counterparts through the first quarter of the NHL season.

Canucks head coach Rick Tocchet expects more from Kuzmenko. More effort and more production.

Tocchet has labelled Kuzmenko's play during this season as just "OK," and says the forward needs "to start to play a little harder."

He scratched the winger for back-to-back games against the Seattle Kraken and San Jose Sharks in late November.

"He's got to get his game a little bit more sharpened up. It's not about last year, it's about this year for us. And he's a guy that needed a reset," Tocchet said on Nov. 27.

He specified what he wants to see more from Kuzmenko which includes battling for pucks at the board and being faster to move back when the puck is in the neutral zone.

Tocchet has laid out clear expectations for Kuzmenko, demanding stronger puck battles along the boards and quicker defensive reactions in the neutral zone.

"Those are the little things that I value around here. It's not about just scoring goals. Goal scorers are going to go through slumps," said Tocchet. 

"The little things matter. That's part of our staples and he has to understand that's the Bible for us around here."

All of which led to Thursday's goal and performance during the loss, which earned Kuzmenko praise.

"If you watch his shifts in the third, he was going A to B. He wasn't zigzagging, backwards skating defending, he was going forward," said Tocchet.

The head coach added that he hopes the winger recognizes the take-aways from his improved performance.

"Hopefully he learns from this third period," said Tocchet. "He can get some momentum playing this way, I think so."

Kuzmenko said he knows that his head coach wants to see him improve.

"This year with four goals is bad, statistically, I understand it's a problem," he said.

"I want to help the team and I understand coach wants this."

But he shrugged off questions about his mentality having gone nearly the full month of November (11 games) between his third and fourth goal of the season.

"What interesting questions about mentality," he said while smiling when asked if he had felt frustrated about his goal drought.

"It's an interesting moment for mentality, for personality, for me."

But he reiterated that he knows the key to solving his issues lies in hard work.

"It's simple with the hard work mentality, work in the gym, it's simple," Kuzmenko said.

He added that he was looking to continue his improved play and build on Thursday's goal against the Calgary Flames on Saturday.

"It's a new day with the game against Calgary," Kuzmenko said.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 1, 2023.

Nick Wells, The Canadian Press

2 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Canucks forward Andrei Kuzmenko admits game has regressed, vows progress

VANCOUVER — Andrei Kuzmenko admits his game is struggling.

The Russian winger had 74 points last season, earning himself a two year US$11 million contract and a place on Vancouver's top line as a reward.

This season has been different.

Kuzmenko has 15 points (four goals, 11 assists) in 21 games this season, has been a healthy scratch twice and took a teammate's shot to the face requiring stitches.

"It doesn't matter if I scored … it doesn't matter if my score doesn't help the team," he said after scoring Vancouver's lone goal in a 4-1 loss to the Vegas Golden Knights on Thursday.

"I need to be better, this I understand. That's why I haven't played (as much) this season."

Kuzmenko scored Thursday after J.T. Miller seized on a loose puck, drove to the net and slid it across to the winger who fired a wrist shot past Logan Thompson.

The top line of Kuzmenko, Ilia Mikheyev and Elias Pettersson has been outscored and outplayed by its second line counterparts through the first quarter of the NHL season.

Canucks head coach Rick Tocchet expects more from Kuzmenko. More effort and more production.

Tocchet has labelled Kuzmenko's play during this season as just "OK," and says the forward needs "to start to play a little harder."

He scratched the winger for back-to-back games against the Seattle Kraken and San Jose Sharks in late November.

"He's got to get his game a little bit more sharpened up. It's not about last year, it's about this year for us. And he's a guy that needed a reset," Tocchet said on Nov. 27.

He specified what he wants to see more from Kuzmenko which includes battling for pucks at the board and being faster to move back when the puck is in the neutral zone.

Tocchet has laid out clear expectations for Kuzmenko, demanding stronger puck battles along the boards and quicker defensive reactions in the neutral zone.

"Those are the little things that I value around here. It's not about just scoring goals. Goal scorers are going to go through slumps," said Tocchet. 

"The little things matter. That's part of our staples and he has to understand that's the Bible for us around here."

All of which led to Thursday's goal and performance during the loss, which earned Kuzmenko praise.

"If you watch his shifts in the third, he was going A to B. He wasn't zigzagging, backwards skating defending, he was going forward," said Tocchet.

The head coach added that he hopes the winger recognizes the take-aways from his improved performance.

"Hopefully he learns from this third period," said Tocchet. "He can get some momentum playing this way, I think so."

Kuzmenko said he knows that his head coach wants to see him improve.

"This year with four goals is bad, statistically, I understand it's a problem," he said.

"I want to help the team and I understand coach wants this."

But he shrugged off questions about his mentality having gone nearly the full month of November (11 games) between his third and fourth goal of the season.

"What interesting questions about mentality," he said while smiling when asked if he had felt frustrated about his goal drought.

"It's an interesting moment for mentality, for personality, for me."

But he reiterated that he knows the key to solving his issues lies in hard work.

"It's simple with the hard work mentality, work in the gym, it's simple," Kuzmenko said.

He added that he was looking to continue his improved play and build on Thursday's goal against the Calgary Flames on Saturday.

"It's a new day with the game against Calgary," Kuzmenko said.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 1, 2023.

Nick Wells, The Canadian Press

That's great to see his buy-in, and not surprisingly either.

Maybe coach RT should have his game "a little bit more sharpened up" too, and light a fire under the Alien's ass....and how about punting Phil Di AhlPizza out of the top 6 and promoting Hogz 

I'm not at the point of trade Kuzmenko, but I am wondering where he fits on this team in the short term.

Got benched again after just being scratched 2 games ago. I hope Kuzy figures it out, but I'm not sure he is a player that fits well with Tocchet's system. This team needs Kuzmenko to find his game, we go nowhere if he continues the way that he is. 

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I'm not at the point of trade Kuzmenko, but I am wondering where he fits on this team in the short term.

Got benched again after just being scratched 2 games ago. I hope Kuzy figures it out, but I'm not sure he is a player that fits well with Tocchet's system. This team needs Kuzmenko to find his game, we go nowhere if he continues the way that he is. 

No. Definitely not at this juncture. We won the Kuzy sweepstakes and he showed us and the league why he was so sought after.

He played to his strengths just fine when the new coaching regime took over the reigns; Tochett even saying Kuzy relied upon to score goals. I don't recall the game where Kuzy scored a shootout goal, but I do remember he was benched during that game and Tochett saying that he sent him out in the shootout exactly for such.

Honestly haven't seen that Kuzmenko infectious smile and joy much this season. Perhaps Tochett oughta' loosen the reigns some and let the kid freewheel. The Petey with the Russians were lights out last season. We gotta find that again for them!

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Sativika said:

No. Definitely not at this juncture. We won the Kuzy sweepstakes and he showed us and the league why he was so sought after.

He played to his strengths just fine when the new coaching regime took over the reigns; Tochett even saying Kuzy relied upon to score goals. I don't recall the game where Kuzy scored a shootout goal, but I do remember he was benched during that game and Tochett saying that he sent him out in the shootout exactly for such.

Honestly haven't seen that Kuzmenko infectious smile and joy much this season. Perhaps Tochett oughta' loosen the reigns some and let the kid freewheel. The Petey with the Russians were lights out last season. We gotta find that again for them!

Kuz was a -3 last night even with his limited ice. It is to bad that he has obviously lost confidence in his game. He isn't shooting as much as he should. I though Ray Ferraro's call was bang on. Shoot the puck. I cannot agree that Kuz gets a 'out of jail' card and is allowed to free wheel. What would doing something like that say to Hogs who has changed his game significantly to become a regular. Kuz a lot of talent but might be passed on the depth chart by players who can play a 200' game. Serious playoff teams have to have buyin by the whole roster.  

20 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Kuz was a -3 last night even with his limited ice. It is to bad that he has obviously lost confidence in his game. He isn't shooting as much as he should. I though Ray Ferraro's call was bang on. Shoot the puck. I cannot agree that Kuz gets a 'out of jail' card and is allowed to free wheel. What would doing something like that say to Hogs who has changed his game significantly to become a regular. Kuz a lot of talent but might be passed on the depth chart by players who can play a 200' game. Serious playoff teams have to have buyin by the whole roster.  

Yea, Bouds That makes allota' sense. Kuzy needs to shore up his north/south. Freewheelin' can't be shored up defensively by your teammates. I get it. Can you imagine an Energizer Bunny Kuzy?!?!?!? Holy crap. I can, but it's gotta happen. It just has to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sativika said:

Yea, Bouds That makes allota' sense. Kuzy needs to shore up his north/south. Freewheelin' can't be shored up defensively by your teammates. I get it. Can you imagine an Energizer Bunny Kuzy?!?!?!? Holy crap. I can, but it's gotta happen. It just has to.

We all see the talent Kuz has. What we cannot know is how he thinks the game. His career to date here and in Russia probably had him scoring big goals and driving offense. The NHL is a lifetime better than the KHL. There is a mental toughness in NHL players the some cannot attain. Kuz's lack of confidence is on display but can he change? He almost scored 40 goals last year and he will bring a significant return if PA decides to move him. It might come down to that. Canucks are playing 50/50 hockey these days and cannot squander their early season start. More decisions for PA by month's end.   

Mah Guy, you played better tonight but even if you are on the fourth line, you are on the 1st PP. Get shots on net dude. Flat zeros across the board, you need to get more involved in the game. Throw a hit even just to get yourself going...

image.thumb.png.dff4a768cc6dacdf9f13b9a8bc8be416.png

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

On 12/6/2023 at 5:57 AM, Boudrias said:

Perhaps the Bali summer wasn't ideal after all.  I'm sure he'll get it back and the Canucks will stick with him but man, it sure would be great to see a happy Kuz more again.

38 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Boeser had a good reason. Kuzmenko went to Bali.

He was training in Bali tho. Its not like his summer was worse than the year before?

And Im just saying which season do you think on ice has been worse to this point.

Not sure how Kuzy is going to right this ship. With limited minutes and demotion to the4 th is going to make it much harder. He’s not a 4th line type player , he’s a high iQ player playing on a line of grinders it’s going to definitely take time to change his game. 

4 minutes ago, dannydog said:

Not sure how Kuzy is going to right this ship. With limited minutes and demotion to the4 th is going to make it much harder. He’s not a 4th line type player , he’s a high iQ player playing on a line of grinders it’s going to definitely take time to change his game. 

Actually Kuz Missile can play exactly like he’s supposed to (as all the players are expected to) so n the fourth line. The “Staples” (as Tocchet expresses) are the same across all lines. Kuz needs to commit to playing the right way. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Actually Kuz Missile can play exactly like he’s supposed to (as all the players are expected to) so n the fourth line. The “Staples” (as Tocchet expresses) are the same across all lines. Kuz needs to commit to playing the right way. 

I can’t think of a skater on the team that is coasting. Kuz comes from the KHL where defensive play is weak. Kuz has to go thru the Hollander school of 200’ game. The question might be whether he will be given the chance or whether PA moves him for a d-man.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

It would be a mistake if PA would walk away from a 40goal scorer because of a slow start.When he was scoring there was no issue from RT about his game. He worked out in Bali which I honestly believe didn’t sit right with RT yet by all witnessed was credible. 

8 minutes ago, dannydog said:

It would be a mistake if PA would walk away from a 40goal scorer because of a slow start.When he was scoring there was no issue from RT about his game. He worked out in Bali which I honestly believe didn’t sit right with RT yet by all witnessed was credible. 

I guess the question for me is was the 39 a one and done (like William Karlsson) or is he that year over year?

I'd love to see Kuzy find his form but if he can be part of a deal for someone like Pesce then I think that needs to be done.

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I guess the question for me is was the 39 a one and done (like William Karlsson) or is he that year over year?

I'd love to see Kuzy find his form but if he can be part of a deal for someone like Pesce then I think that needs to be done.

Funnily enough, Karlsson is having an incredible year this year again.

• Vintage 1

So what does karlson  having an excellent year last and a great start to this have anything to do with Kuzy? Karlson being a centre on a consistent 5v5 line where all involved are playing great to Kuzy playing with petey having 5v5 issues offensively (unusual to date but will play a part).2 different players on 2 different teams on different skill lvls. I can’t be more happy with the teams start but Vegas is still a much better team

Edited by dannydog

43 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Funnily enough, Karlsson is having an incredible year this year again.

It's just so hard to repeat success in the NHL you just never know outside of a few guys.

I'd love to see Kuzy find it again here, but also get it if Allvin moves on. As long as we are better for it I don't really mind.

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Probably, at least as a guy who puts up as many goals as he did, he was always going to be in tough to keep that sky high shooting percentage going. He was always going to see some regression, his shooting percentage is much closer to league average now. 

If he wants to score more he'll need to simply start shooting more. 

None of this is to say he can't be a productive player, but I think folks should be tempering their expectations if they were expecting him to be a perennial 40ish goal guy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1