Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

25 minutes ago, Gurn said:

'may not'

funny stuff.

Hey- why let the facts get in the way?

Anger has already taken it's place.

PP has done a great job, for lack of a better term, harnessing millenials anger in particular. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, JIAHN said:

Not that I disagree with you

But, isn't it sad that we live in one of the best countries i the world and still most of us feel this way....

I mean, really think about it!

Do we expect too much?

We have learned to live with a very high floor, that's for sure. 

We do have very strong systems, which is one of the reasons PP can play his anger game. He knows if he wins there isn't much for him to change or do to keep peoples standard of living high.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

That is a substantial difference, and not quite in the way the spin makes it sound. If I invest in Skye Biosciences, which I did, an american company, I am happy to report the penny stock is up around 12 dollars a share now. The money I bought in with 'fled the country' but the money I will spend on a new kitchen cabinets/countertops project when I sell those shares is right back in our 'Canadian' pockets. It isn't an 'end of the world' scenario, and by your own admission in the post I am quoting, it isn't specific to the Trudeau Liberals. Happy to see you back down from the two trillion number though and come in at a more scientifically backed 225 billion. 

In fact, come to think of it, if Foreign Direct Investment flowing into Canada is dwarfed by Foreign Direct Investment flowing out of Canada: doesn't that really mean to show that Canadians are getting richer to the point of being able to invest outside our borders? If my brother in law makes 250 a year and invests 100k of that outside of Canada, 'buying up the world', how is that bad for Canada? Foreign Capital Gains is even higher taxed.... lol 

lastly, the most recent numbers from the article you are quoting say less than 20 billion in 2023..so it is trending lower year over year since you said the average is 25 billion. It is funny that one can manipulate the narrative by selective choices in which sentence to quote. 

$225 billion outflow since Trudeau took over and according to you that’s a good thing and it is trending lower.  But I’m the one manipulating the narrative. 🤣

Edited by Elias Pettersson

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

'may not'

funny stuff.

Hey- why let the facts get in the way?

The facts are that $225 billion in investment has left the country since Trudeau took office. That’s a pretty sad state of affairs. Luckily most people have caught on, even the gen z’ers know what’s up. 

It's always easy to post an opinion piece that states TRILLIONS!!  Wait no, only a few hundred billion.  Ok wait no an average of 25 billion or less a year has filed Canada 

When one doesn't factor in why and just says it out loud and drops (insert PMs name) as a cause not an effect

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's always easy to post an opinion piece that states TRILLIONS!!  Wait no, only a few hundred billion.  Ok wait no an average of 25 billion or less a year has filed Canada 

When one doesn't factor in why and just says it out loud and drops (insert PMs name) as a cause not an effect

And what 2 things happened during that decade that could affect investment in Canada?  One happened just as JT was taking over in 2015.  Then other has the word global in it.

32 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

my mistake, apologies. 

Ummm, that was another poster who said that. Not me. So chill out brother and stop calling me a liar. 

I simply quoted the FDI numbers from the financial post to show that it obviously wasn’t that high but at $225 billion it was significantly higher than under Harper. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

The numbers show outflow was significantly higher under Trudeau than under Harper. If you don’t believe the opinion piece than try posting some numbers that refute what was posted. $25 billion is triple what it was under Harper in his last years. 

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ummm, that was another poster who said that. Not me. So chill out brother and stop calling me a liar. 

I simply quoted the FDI numbers from the financial post to show that it obviously wasn’t that high but at $225 billion it was significantly higher than under Harper. 

I will edit my post, sorry. I scrolled back and found it was in fact Boudrias. I get you Peter Poutineers confused from time to time.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The numbers show outflow was significantly higher under Trudeau than under Harper. If you don’t believe the opinion piece than try posting some numbers that refute what was posted. $25 billion is triple what it was under Harper in his last years. 

19 billion last year, so it is coming down, but I fail to see how it is a bad thing in any regard.

again: if i have money as a Canadian and I invest that money in say an American Bio Lab and it makes me more money, how is that bad for Canada?

15 minutes ago, bolt said:

https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2024/05/20/2003818139

Canadians can't afford to live or die after 9 years of Liberals; time for a change...

the Poutineers don't even have any reading comprehension skills now? the cost, according to this article went up 25% over 25 years, or 1% per year, half the rise in cost of living on average over the same span. I don't know what to say anymore: penny candy hasn't been a penny since the 90s. I am voting out this penny candy unfriendly government: nonesense. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 2:44 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

This could easily be achieved if Trudeau would simply step down for the good of the party and let someone else take over.  Why isn't he capable of doing this?  What is his motivation for running for a 3rd term when he knows that people aren't going to vote for him no matter what he does?  It's almost like he is a dictator.

A dictator wouldn't have an election or try & fix the results like VonSh*tsHisPants south of the order.

Castro Jr.'s ego is the reason why he's still running.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

5 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

the Poutineers don't even have any reading comprehension skills now? the cost, according to this article went up 25% over 25 years, or 1% per year, half the rise in cost of living on average over the same span. I don't know what to say anymore: penny candy hasn't been a penny since the 90s. I am voting out this penny candy unfriendly government: nonesense. 

Not to mention - as is the M.O. appears to be from that poster - the burial industry is regulated under Provincial jurisdiction and not federal, as the poster would have us believe.  Those Ontarians and Quebeckers and Albertans (oh my!) really should have a talk with their right-of-centre provincial governments.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 5/17/2024 at 8:37 AM, Satchmo said:

I'm not going to comment on the guy's musicality but it sounds like he's been involved with this kind of stuff for years.

Environment and ecology rap[edit]

Brinkman was commissioned by the WILD Foundation to produce The Rap Guide to Wilderness in 2014. The album was critically acclaimed and features songs about biodiversity, extinction, conservation, habitat loss and trophic cascade.[47][48][49][50][51]

In 2015 Brinkman's play Rap Guide to Climate Chaos premiered at the Edinburgh Fringe,[52][53][54] followed by performances at the COP21 United Nations Climate Change Conference.[55] "Climate Chaos" went on to play-off-Broadway for six months in 2016, and featured Michael E. Mann, Gavin Schmidt, Naomi Oreskes and Bill Nye as talkback speakers.[56][57] Bill Nye also features on the album version of "Climate Chaos", rapping the chorus of the track "What's Beef", which remixes a Notorious B.I.G. song to discuss climate change denial.[58] Rap Guide to Climate Chaos summarizes the science, politics, and economics of climate change and advocates for a global carbon tax as part of the solution.[59]

In 2016, after the election of Donald Trump, Brinkman worked with Gary Yohe at Wesleyan University, a senior contributor to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and co-recipient along with Al Gore of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize, to produce a new song and video titled "Erosion", summarizing data from the National Climate Assessment on the U.S.-based physical impacts of climate change.[60][61]

Instead of focusing on his mom's job, how about his dads?

Dirk Brinkman, Sr., who is notable for having founded the world's only private company responsible for planting more than one billion trees.

Brinkman spent his early summers in remote tree planting camps, and began planting trees himself at the age of 15.[5] He worked for his parents' business, Brinkman & Associates Reforestation, for twelve seasons in British Columbia and Alberta, personally planting more than one million trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_Brinkman

Slow down now son, if they are parroting Pepi Le Pew, they can't read that fast. They only memorize sound bites, like a parakeet, to use later when they want to whistle in the dog. 

I get that at the end of the day there is people who just never will like Justin Trudeau. 

What I don't get is why they are lined up behind Pierre Poilievre, who has had one job in his entire adult life: loudest most life long gator in the mud sucking swamp. 

Most of what people don't like about our Prime Minister is what P.P. has told them not to like for the last decade or so. 

it is mind boggling.  Almost as ridiculous as trying to demand the duly elected Prime Minister resign because the leader of the Opposition doesn't like him. 

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

I get that at the end of the day there is people who just never will like Justin Trudeau. 

What I don't get is why they are lined up behind Pierre Poilievre, who has had one job in his entire adult life: loudest most life long gator in the mud sucking swamp. 

Most of what people don't like about our Prime Minister is what P.P. has told them not to like for the last decade or so. 

it is mind boggling.  Almost as ridiculous as trying to demand the duly elected Prime Minister resign because the leader of the Opposition doesn't like him. 

What I don't get is the people whingeing about the state of Healthcare in Canada.....

As if the guy who's running on a campaign of "Axe the Tax" is somehow going to improve any Social Programs, let alone the most expensive one....:classic_rolleyes:

I also love the fact that the PP crowd continue to pretend that we didn't just go through a 4 year global pandemic....

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

We have learned to live with a very high floor, that's for sure. 

We do have very strong systems, which is one of the reasons PP can play his anger game. He knows if he wins there isn't much for him to change or do to keep peoples standard of living high.

You Bob here is what I ask of the 3 main parties...........

#1. Conservatives

- Keep your fiscal policy of not over spending

- Try and broaden your social platform

- Remove the carbon tax if in power

#2. Liberals

-Get rid of the carbon tax and implement a softer version based on other countries efforts

- Also it should be based on a net production carbon vs net producer of Oxygen

- Stop all lobby groups (business and unions)

#3. NDP

-Stop giving in to all social demands ( I do support a single mother with 3 kids under 6 needing social assistance...I do no support idiots sleeping in that can work)

-Ask for a better carbon tax...more in line than the Liberal

*I ask all parties, to grow up and use each others platforms when that platform helps Canadians, instead of being the anti christ when, opposing it!

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

#1. Conservatives

#2. Liberals

-Get rid of the carbon tax and implement a softer version based on other countries efforts

#3. NDP

-Stop giving in to all social demands ( I do support a single mother with 3 kids under 6 needing social assistance...I do no support idiots sleeping in that can work)

*I ask all parties, to grow up and use each others platforms when that platform helps Canadians, instead of being the anti christ when, opposing it!

We we used to have #1. #3 is unlikely imo because as a likely always #3 party, they need a more extreme position to be noticed.

I agree on lobbying, but I'd be fine with it staying if all meetings were public.

Edited by Bob Long

37 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

He's tapped into the pissy millenial vote. The dissatisfaction, the insults, the one liners, the social media, it's all for mad millenials.

Everyone thought that their ribbon would turn into a house.

21 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

#1. Conservatives

#2. Liberals

#3. NDP

How do you differentiate persons with disabilities from "idiots sleeping in that can work"? How prevalent do you think abuse of the disability systems in Canada is? I assure you it's not a glamorous lifestyle and anyone who prefers it to working is probably dealing with serious issues you just don't see on the surface.

Also, what does stopping unions from lobbying do to help the country?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

19 billion last year, so it is coming down, but I fail to see how it is a bad thing in any regard.

again: if i have money as a Canadian and I invest that money in say an American Bio Lab and it makes me more money, how is that bad for Canada?

FDI computes both foreign inflows as well as Canadian outflows. Foreigners bringing their money into Canada increases our GDP does it not? 

Also, if it doesn’t make a difference then why does the government bother to even track it?