Aatu Räty | C

Just now, Snoop Hogg said:

He needs another season in Abby, but he looked good at times in the preseason. 

I thought so too.  He was exceptional with the young stars.  I read (somewhere) that the Nucks

want him to be a C, so they don't care too rush him playing onto the wing.  He's still 20yrs and

will take another step this season in Abby; hopefully making the big club next year.

• Like 2

I think he looked a lot better than good at times. I thought he didn't look out of place, and seemed to fit pretty good with our players.

He was a pleasant surprise, even on the nights the rest of the team didn't show up. He did.

But another season won't hurt. Best of all if he lights it up in the AHL, we could always call him up during the season.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

How’s he been so far?

Yeah, I'm curious as well. Is he producing offensively? And more importantly, how his skating. I remember that's an area of concern with his game. Has he improved that area or has it mostly remained the same? 

I've watched him in 3 games this year on AHL TV, not live, so would be good to hear from people actually watching live. 

I'd say his skating is stronger this year for sure. He's still no speedster but he doesn't look as behind the play as he was last year.  He looks strong, good on the boards, and good defensively - they have played against some big teams already too.  He's up to 4 points for the season i think. No goals yet - but i think they will come, he tends to not be deployed as offensively as Karlson's line which is one reason. 

I'd say he continues to develop nicely - and has a NHL ready game i'd say he's ready for a callup now, if injuries occur. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 10/22/2023 at 1:54 AM, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, I'm curious as well. Is he producing offensively? And more importantly, how his skating. I remember that's an area of concern with his game. Has he improved that area or has it mostly remained the same? 

He has set up more than a few guys with great opportunities, but will little to show for it. It's tough in Abby right now - lots of centres.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah like the others above said he had a great game last night at both ends of the ice. He's on a new makeshift line between Sasson and Karlsson who were a constant menace to the knights all game and played a key part in shutting them down in their own end seeing us walk away with the W and a shutout Arty Party. 

I wanted us to take a punt and draft this kid as i really thought he was gonna be a player and he is still tracking really well IMO, even tho i maybe a bit bias.  His details, vision and work along the boards are gonna see him do well when he gets a look in with the Toch super squad. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 10/22/2023 at 3:11 PM, Eddie said:

I've watched him in 3 games this year on AHL TV, not live, so would be good to hear from people actually watching live. 

I'd say his skating is stronger this year for sure. He's still no speedster but he doesn't look as behind the play as he was last year.  He looks strong, good on the boards, and good defensively - they have played against some big teams already too.  He's up to 4 points for the season i think. No goals yet - but i think they will come, he tends to not be deployed as offensively as Karlson's line which is one reason. 

I'd say he continues to develop nicely - and has a NHL ready game i'd say he's ready for a callup now, if injuries occur. 

I’ve watched mist of the games, and I’d only add that he has generated tons of chances for others that have not been cashed in. He is also starting to get shots, but looks like he is still learning to penetrate high percentage scoring zones. As for skating and confidence, I agree much improved. He needs a little Sedinery polishing to get to scoring areas.

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2023 at 1:07 PM, Alflives said:

Goal and assist in a win yesterday. Looks great. Big, smart, skilled, high compete. Steal by Allvin to get this future star. 

Stop it Alfie... 

He's big, smart, skilled, and has a high compete. You are bang on with that. 

Absolutely not a future star hahaha 

His ceiling is a 3rd line center, actually a picture perfect 3rd line center. His floor is really high, I almost see no way that he doesn't make the NHL eventually. 

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Stop it Alfie... 

He's big, smart, skilled, and has a high compete. You are bang on with that. 

Absolutely not a future star hahaha 

His ceiling is a 3rd line center, actually a picture perfect 3rd line center. His floor is really high, I almost see no way that he doesn't make the NHL eventually. 

With Miller and Petey Raty has a ceiling on our club of a 3C. We are killer down the middle. 

• Cheers 2

From The Province --- 

Aatu Raty

He’s being used as a Swiss Army knife lately.

That’s fine with the versatile Finnish forward.

With injuries up front, Aatu Raty has been bumped up the Abbotsford lineup and moved over to the wing from his usual centre ice position.

It’s working out well for the 20-year-old.

Raty has three points (2G, 1A) in his last three games and his line with centre Max Sasson and winger Linus Karlsson have been the recent catalysts behind the Canucks’ offence.

Raty, acquired in the Bo Horvat trade, will get some extra attention this week with the former Canucks captain making his much-anticipated return to Vancouver on Wednesday — and it couldn’t come at a better time with the 2021 second rounder finding his offensive touch.

Raty, whose skating, passing and vision are already professional grade, had been “excellent” earlier in the season with linemates John Stevens and the now-injured Chase Wouters, Colliton told Abbotsford Canucks play-by-play man Brandon Astle during Thursday’s broadcast.

“Losing a few guys, the best way to build the lineup was to move (Raty) up,” said Colliton. “That’s a good sign for him, to show that he’s got versatility, he can play different roles for us.”

The move to wing gives the organization options should Raty be considered for a call-up to Vancouver at some point this season. He can play both centre and wing and plays a complete 200-foot game.

Safe to say, however, that forward Arshdeep Bains, who is tied for second in league scoring with 17 points (3G, 14A) in 13 games, and centre Nils Aman (7G, 7A in 13 games) also deserve a look, should an opportunity arise.

And then there’s Vasily Podkolzin, who is skating with the team again after being concussed in a scary incident at the Abbotsford Centre on Oct. 25. Podkolzin had five goals and two assists in six games before he was injured.

Raty has three goals, five assists and a plus-6 rating in 13 games this season.

Tom Willander speaks to the media after being selected by the Vancouver Canucks with the 11th overall pick during round one of the 2023 Upper Deck NHL Draft at Bridgestone Arena on June 28, 2023 in Nashville, Tennessee.
Tom Willander speaks to the media after being selected by the Vancouver Canucks with the 11th overall pick during round one of the 2023 Upper Deck NHL Draft at Bridgestone Arena on June 28, 2023 in Nashville, Tennessee.
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

After a slow start (0 points in first 5 games) Aatu Räty has been finding his game with 7 points in his last 8 games.  (3 goals and 5 assists.)

It was bound to happen. You can tell just from watching him play that he has the "smarts" and ability to make things happen. 

I think he's just turning 21 this week, so he's still young and is only going to get better. 

Great pick up. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

This guy intrigues me a lot given how he's turned things around so much already with his career as well as the fact that he, at one point, could have been a number 1 overall pick. If this guy can crack the team full time, he could easily be underestimated in terms of impact in my opinion.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Lock said:

This guy intrigues me a lot given how he's turned things around so much already with his career as well as the fact that he, at one point, could have been a number 1 overall pick. If this guy can crack the team full time, he could easily be underestimated in terms of impact in my opinion.

Seems like they are trying to train him into a 3C role, which he appears to have all the tools for, including a good attitude. I'd be pretty disappointed if he isn't in that role in two seasons.

• Cheers 1

On 11/14/2023 at 10:11 AM, Bob Long said:

Seems like they are trying to train him into a 3C role, which he appears to have all the tools for, including a good attitude. I'd be pretty disappointed if he isn't in that role in two seasons.

Exactly this. I'd even go further to say that I think he'd be a 3rd line center but with the potential of becoming more than that if he gets his footing.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Exactly this. I'd even go further to say that I think he'd be a 3rd line center but with the potential of becoming more than that if he gets his footing.

He has a lot of skills in his toolbox, but will need to improve his speed if he wants to get into

the top 6.  I haven't seen him play, so maybe already made some improvements while at Abby.

Defiantly finding his offensive game, which means his confidence is returning.  One of the things I like

the most about him, is that he already plays the defensive game, which is unusual for a young player.

He's a big kid that doesn't avoid physical contact and can play the physical game.  Along with his

defensive game, I think he joins the team next season.  Maybe gets a call-up this season.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, higgyfan said:

He has a lot of skills in his toolbox, but will need to improve his speed if he wants to get into

the top 6.  I haven't seen him play, so maybe already made some improvements while at Abby.

Defiantly finding his offensive game, which means his confidence is returning.  One of the things I like

the most about him, is that he already plays the defensive game, which is unusual for a young player.

He's a big kid that doesn't avoid physical contact and can play the physical game.  Along with his

defensive game, I think he joins the team next season.  Maybe gets a call-up this season.

I like Raty and Bains. Is PDG tailing off a bit? Maybe nursing an injury? Bains has a scoring pedigree which is working well as a top 6 in Abby. So much of this development is about reps. Bains might end up bumping PDG out.  

• Cheers 1