Aatu Räty | C

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Been keeping a close eye on Raty all season as I feel he can be a huge piece of the puzzle moving forward if he can develop well.

He's still been solid, good along the board, good vision, and good instincts at both ends of the ice.  

He hasn't exactly been spectacular tho - but still has time to step that up.  As many know he's been moved from C to wing a month or 2 ago and has had a bit of a blender of line mates, which might be holding back his ability to really break out.  He has played with some good players tho to be far. 

Without a doubt, his biggest problem is still his foot speed.  Once up to speed, he is now ok, but accelerating from a stop or changing direction he looks a yard behind at least, really noticeable compared to the rest of the roster.  Not sure he can play on the big lineup with that flaw, considering how we play. 

Can't really comment on his skating technique, but he is a big guy and likely needs to really focus in the gym and nutrition this off-season to get himself an extra step. 

I have high expectations on Raty as well.  Keeping in mind that he's a couple of years younger

than the others on Abbys top 5, so he has more time for development (along with another year

of ELC).  I was disappointed that he no longer plays C on the team, but that could change in

time.  His skating is an issue, but he has been working with the twins on using his high IQ to

compliment any skating issues.  It's not that he's a slow skater; it's his initial breakout speed

that he has to work on.  Really cheering for this kid to make the NHL.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I've liked his game. Lately he's been scoring at a much better pace too which is nice. People have been concerned about him getting switched from C to wing. But in my mind it's mostly been to stack the top lines up and get as much offence as possible. With all the injuries it's been tough to keep any steady lines on the farm. Now that injury bug has passed our team is looking a bit better and Raty is getting to play with better players.

For the alarmists, him not playing center is more due to him being more creative on the wing, it untaps his offence a bit more. When he plays center he plays a much more defence first oriented game. He's still learning to combine the 2 elements together. It may happen or it may not. But lets get the notion that he can't play center out of our heads. He is doing just fine there. He's pretty good at faceoffs, and defensively he shines very well. He's always making those subtle toolsy defensive plays that coaches love.

As for him at wing right now, it shows he can score when given the chance to just focus purely on that. Playing center you always have to play high, cover your wingers while they are down low, etc. Playing wing frees him from those responsibilities and lets him play a simpler game.

He's shown he can play any position now, which is encouraging. My outlook on him is a swiss army knife 3rd line center/winger who can play in the top 6 when needed. His ceiling may be higher but that's just where i'm projecting him to be. He may arrive just in time too. Once we are done with Blueger and Sutr, he's right there to step in for us and play some solid minutes.

Thanks for the detailed response! How's his skating and mobility looking?

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

10 points in his last 10 games and the best Abbotsford player right now.  I think one more year of AHL hockey and he should be ready for the NHL…

Raty-Lekkeriamki

Could be fun

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Raty is playing wing.  So  Raty   Petey   Lekkerimaki...

I’m talking next year AHL.

i am still hoping he is C next year

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pretty sure Lekkerimaki will be with the big club next year playing with Petey...  

Podkolzin has to be on the NHL roster next year. or he's gunna get picked up on waivers

43 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

Podkolzin has to be on the NHL roster next year. or he's gunna get picked up on waivers

A lot can happen between now and the 1st game of next season.  Fingers crossed he isn't

packaged in a TDL deal. I would hate that, but if JR decides he wants a Genzal type

player and/or a comparable Rdman, he may have to move Podz.  It's not like there are

many high draft pics anymore.

8 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

A lot can happen between now and the 1st game of next season.  Fingers crossed he isn't

packaged in a TDL deal. I would hate that, but if JR decides he wants a Genzal type

player and/or a comparable Rdman, he may have to move Podz.  It's not like there are

many high draft pics anymore.

I hope they don't make another big trade this year. only depth moves.  look what happened to boston and toronto last year.  they don't have any assets to make big moves this year and next year.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pretty sure Lekkerimaki will be with the big club next year playing with Petey...  

hope you are right 

I just feel like he’s gonna need an ahl year 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

hope you are right 

I just feel like he’s gonna need an ahl year 

I don't see either Raty or Lekker making the big club next year; one more year in the AHL would better prepare them for the jump to the NHL. Past Canucks management always seemed to be in a rush to get prospects to the NHL without taking the time to make sure they are developed properly. IMO, Karlsson will in playing in the NHL next year over either of them.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I don't see either Raty or Lekker making the big club next year; one more year in the AHL would better prepare them for the jump to the NHL. Past Canucks management always seemed to be in a rush to get prospects to the NHL without taking the time to make sure they are developed properly. IMO, Karlsson will in playing in the NHL next year over either of them.

Karlsson appears to be the best player in Abby this year.  At 24yrs, he has only played 4 NHL

games, which is a strange and doesn't look good for him.  Hopefully will get a solid grouping

of NHL games next season, but he still has much to prove before he gets a permanent spot.

As for Raty, he seems to be picking up his game over the past few and given his age, he is

looking very promising.  At 21yrs and continuing to improve his game next season, I am

hopeful to see him making the jump after NY next season.  He's a big kid, whose only hold

back is his (first steps) skating, which his IQ and positioning may negate any skating issues.

Lekker is a different category all-together due to some elite skills.  At 19yrs, he is the top

offensive player on his SHL team.  He will need time to adapt to the NHL game as well

as the smaller ice.  I wouldn't surprise me if he gets a call-up in the second half of next

season and finds a spot on the V-Nucks.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Karlsson appears to be the best player in Abby this year.  At 24yrs, he has only played 4 NHL

games, which is a strange and doesn't look good for him.  Hopefully will get a solid grouping

of NHL games next season, but he still has much to prove before he gets a permanent spot.

I don't think Karlsson is waiver exempt next year but not sure. Part of my reasoning on why he will be in the NHL along with Woo next year

9 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I don't think Karlsson is waiver exempt next year but not sure. Part of my reasoning on why he will be in the NHL along with Woo next year

Neither Karlsson or Woo are waiver exempt next season.  Neither have shown much at the NHL

level, but I hope they will get a chance to prove themselves.  I will be up to how they impress

the coaches at training camp. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I agree

7 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Agreed,

Also, both Rutherford and Alvin have said they want their prospects to be overripe in the minors. So they will always be more patient vs rush. 

on top of that, Podz has to clear waivers next year so there’s one player who’s definitely taking a spot for a young player next season. 

Then you’ve got players like Sasson, Karlson, and maybe Bains and Woo pushing too. The big club will only have a few rookies playing not 3-4.

i think they’ve also said Lekkermaki will go to the AHL first anyways. Raty will follow the same path as Podz and Hogz. Let him dominate and play a full 3 years and he’s up his waiver eligibility before you keep him up. 

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Neither Karlsson or Woo are waiver exempt next season.  Neither have shown much at the NHL

level, but I hope they will get a chance to prove themselves.  I will be up to how they impress

the coaches at training camp. 

Karlsson is waiver exempt until the 2025-2026 season according to CapFriendly. Unless he plays 4 more NHL games this year.