Aatu Räty | C

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Doesn’t the Lotto line consist of Miller and Petey?  Aren’t they both centres?  if so, who was playing the wing?

Also, Wouters isn’t a winger, he’s too small.  He is a natural centre and they prefer the big body on the wing.  Colliton already explained this, so not sure why you are trying to question the coach of the team and calling him a liar.  Put your ego aside on this one and take the L.  We can’t all win every debate…

And how many times has the Lotto line been put together this season?  It's loading up a line.  That's completely different than a regular starting lineup.  In fact, Tocchet is so reluctant to do that or even stack Lindholm and Petey that he has all his top centres split up.

Wouters is 6'0" 186lbs.  How is that small?  Sasson is almost identical to Wouters.

If there is a big body and highly capable centre in your lineup, you play the guy at centre.  Not wing lmao.

Miller and Petey were wingers all through their career until they came to the Canucks.  If anything they'd be the most versatile guys we have for the wing.  How stupid would it look to move Suter to the middle and Miller on the wing?  

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

And how many times has the Lotto line been put together this season?  It's loading up a line.  That's completely different than a regular starting lineup.  In fact, Tocchet is so reluctant to do that or even stack Lindholm and Petey that he has all his top centres split up.

Wouters is 6'0" 186lbs.  How is that small?  Sasson is almost identical to Wouters.

If there is a big body and highly capable centre in your lineup, you play the guy at centre.  Not wing lmao.

Miller and Petey were wingers all through their career until they came to the Canucks.  If anything they'd be the most versatile guys we have for the wing.  How stupid would it look to move Suter to the middle and Miller on the wing?  

So you can't just take the L and move on?   😊

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So you can't just take the L and move on?   😊

Haha, I'm not trying to get a W or L... I just think it makes most sense that if you have a strong centre, you play the guy at centre and fill the wings with whatever you got.  I can't grasp a concept where a coach has a strong centre that has more size, more skill, and more defensive ability, and then throw him on the wing just because he can adapt better than the other guy 😉

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Doesn’t the Lotto line consist of Miller and Petey?  Aren’t they both centres?  if so, who was playing the wing?

Whens the last time we ran with the lotto line for a noticeable chunk of time? The lotto line hasnt really been a thing in a few years. 

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

No he didn't play centre until he was put there and excelled at it.  The Canucks would never move one of their top 2 centres to the wing just because they're more versatile at it.  Not many centres on this planet would have trouble transitioning to wing if called upon.  If Raty was a strong centre, they'd have him the middle no different than the Canucks with Miller and Petey.  Miller and Petey are the strongest centres, and so they stay as centres.  They've moved Suter to the wing, they've had Lindholm play wing, they have Lafferty on the wing, etc.

What I'm saying is, if Raty is one of the top 2 centres on Abby, he'd be playing centre.  Makes no sense to play a weaker centre in the middle just because a better centre may be more versatile.  Centre is the most important forward position.

If memory serves me correctly, there has been issues/concerns with his skating, it could be why he's being used more as a winger as opposed to center.

He might be good enough in the face off dot but perhaps not quite good enough a skater (at this/NHL level) to play the center position.

I've heard mention of it last season and earlier this season (I believe).

I think the hope was it something that could be addressed and worked on moving forward. 

They said he has the skills, hands, hockey IQ and see's the ice well but recall it being a matter of his foot speed and consistancy.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kettlevalley said:

Ah guys.....they have Raty playing the wing because center's have to skate more and Raty lacks the skating speed and prowess.  And remember Dakota Joshua was a center too.  

That was my understanding as well. 

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Haha, I'm not trying to get a W or L... I just think it makes most sense that if you have a strong centre, you play the guy at centre and fill the wings with whatever you got.  I can't grasp a concept where a coach has a strong centre that has more size, more skill, and more defensive ability, and then throw him on the wing just because he can adapt better than the other guy 😉

I believe others have posted about Raty’s weak skating. That might be hindering his ability to play centre. 

We will see in the coming years if he can improve on that. BO was also not the greatest skater coming out of junior. He was able to fix that part of his game after a few seasons. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I believe others have posted about Raty’s weak skating. That might be hindering his ability to play centre. 

We will see in the coming years if he can improve on that. BO was also not the greatest skater coming out of junior. He was able to fix that part of his game after a few seasons. 

Yeah I could see that.  Makes sense.  For our sake, hope he fixes that part of his game.  If he does, he could probably be a 2C in the future.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 3/24/2024 at 12:55 PM, Pure961089 said:

It's awesome seeing Canucks prospects flourish and grow into stars with the current coaching staff.  Under the Benning regime our prospects were developed poorly.  It's such a refreshing change.  

I truly believe that if Colliton was the coach rather than Trent Cull when Lind, Gadjovich were here, they'd be decent Nhlers. Something about Trent Cull, screams failure. Maybe theres a reason guys like J.Dahlen and Palmu took shots at the team on their way out the door

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, J-23 said:

Joshua - Raty - Podkolzin.

Hopefully this can be the 3rd line in a few seasons. 

They might not have a choice if they want to sign all their free agents. Im almost certain Bleuger is gonna be gone, MAYBE even Lafferty

6 hours ago, filthy animal said:

They might not have a choice if they want to sign all their free agents. Im almost certain Bleuger is gonna be gone, MAYBE even Lafferty

Lafferty will be gone. Pretty sure they will try to find a way to keep Bleugar.  

Bains Aman Raty 

Is hopefully the 4th line in September.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

I've watched a lot of Abby both in person and on stream this year keeping an especially close eye on Raty. 

Too add my thoughts to the debate on his position.  I think the rationale for his switch to wing is that he is likely the best along the boards of all the top centers and a good number of the potential wingers there, Abby is in a heavy conference up against a lot of bigger teams, and are quite lacking in this department, especially in the top 6.

Couple that with while I think he is a competent center he is a good bit less experienced in that position than the other options at top 6C, in a position where experience really helps. This swap likely gives Abby the best chance to win, and him the best chance to put up points, which your seeing as of late. I don't think this discounts him from being a C moving forward.  He is tracking numbers-wise quiet similar to JT Miller who spent a lot of his earlier days swapping too and from wing. he has most of the tools to be a good C apart from maybe the one we will come to.  

Raty is a really smart player, second to probably only Bains on the team. He is strong down low, has good hands and good shot.  The comments on his skating are somewhat deserved, like I said here before, it's not really his top speed, it's his acceleration that is the problem. Where he has failed a few noticeable times during his time at C was defending high slot turnovers, he just can't catch up with the play and it often leads to a clear-cut chance against on the break for the opponents. 

I think he's 100% a NHL'r, likely next year. How high he can go and where in the lineup depends on his ability to increase his acceleration, much like Bo in his early days. If he can find an extra gear out the gate he can easily be a 2/3 C or even play on Petey's line maybe with Lekkermaki at some point, if not I feel he is likely gonna be anchored to the bottom of the lineup.  Really good promising prospect still who shouldn't be slept on. He's progressing consistently and going from strength to strength right now. 

Cheers... nice write up...

• Cheers 1

On 3/27/2024 at 7:27 AM, kettlevalley said:

Lafferty will be gone. Pretty sure they will try to find a way to keep Bleugar.  

Bains Aman Raty 

Is hopefully the 4th line in September.  

I think they resign Blugers as well. I really like his tenacious play. Excited to see Raty play games for the big club next year.

1 hour ago, Alexandre said:

I think they resign Blugers as well. I really like his tenacious play. Excited to see Raty play games for the big club next year.

Blueger is having a career year, so will likely be looking for an upgrade on his $1.9m salary + some term.

The team already has Suter($1.6m) for another season and he can fit in well with the 3rd line.  Sadly,

Teddy will have played himself out of the Canuck lineup.

32 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Blueger is having a career year, so will likely be looking for an upgrade on his $1.9m salary + some term.

The team already has Suter($1.6m) for another season and he can fit in well with the 3rd line.  Sadly,

Teddy will have played himself out of the Canuck lineup.

I think so too, he will be 30 this summer, deserving of a small pay raise, maybe 2.5m from some club, but we already know his ceiling is what it is. Where he is. Sure he scored 9 goals in teh NHL in two different seasons, but those were his highest scoring years. Raty is 837k next season, almost 2 million cheaper than re-signing Blueger, and with a higher ceiling. 2 goals in his 12 games with the Islanders last year to kick off his NHL stats. Currently 46 in 62 games in his first full AHL year in Abby, which is already 1 point better than Bleugers best AHL season ever. I don't see a lot of daylight between where 30 year old Teddy is right now vs 21 year old Aatu, except for future potential. 

why wouldn't we make room for Aatu?

• Like 1

Raty is on fire over the last 7 games averaging 2 points a game. Check out the down on one knee snipe show he burried last night : 

He's been absolutely dominant along with the team finally finding some form. Big hopes for him next season. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

On 4/4/2024 at 7:36 AM, Rip The Mesh said:

Sounds like a great guy to have around, speaks with a smile on his face and wee positive dig to his fellow Scandinavians... Really hope he makes it... The kind of jolly fellow you need in your dressing room. 

• Cheers 1