Aatu Räty | C

37 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Agreed,

Also, both Rutherford and Alvin have said they want their prospects to be overripe in the minors. So they will always be more patient vs rush. 

on top of that, Podz has to clear waivers next year so there’s one player who’s definitely taking a spot for a young player next season. 

Then you’ve got players like Sasson, Karlson, and maybe Bains and Woo pushing too. The big club will only have a few rookies playing not 3-4.

i think they’ve also said Lekkermaki will go to the AHL first anyways. Raty will follow the same path as Podz and Hogz. Let him dominate and play a full 3 years and he’s up his waiver eligibility before you keep him up. 

Lekkerimäki will be in Abby in the next 2-3 weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lekkerimäki will be in Abby in the next 2-3 weeks. 

Is that a guess or did you see a report/update from the team? Would love to see him make his debut this season/

Edited by Blitz-Pix

12 hours ago, Bardown said:

I think they’ve also said Lekkermaki will go to the AHL first anyways. Raty will follow the same path as Podz and Hogz. Let him dominate and play a full 3 years and he’s up his waiver eligibility before you keep him up. 

I hear of this "Hogs and Podz" path to the NHL often (along with simmering in the AHL for 2-3yrs).

I think a young player should join his NHL team when he's ready.  He needs the challenge of the

NHL to keep his development going.

Hogs has only ever played 45 games in the AHL and Hogs has 72 games (so far).

Meanwhile, Raty has played 107 games to date.  If the coaching staff think he's ready

to make the Van team at some point next season, bring him onboard!

1 hour ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Is that a guess or did you see a report/update from the team? Would love to see him make his debut this season/

Örebro’s last game is this week. They may have a play in but most likely they will be out of the playoffs by March 15. Allvin said both Lekkerimäki and D-Petey will be coming to Abby after their playoffs are over. D-Petey will be done this week. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Örebro’s last game is this week. They may have a play in but most likely they will be out of the playoffs by March 15. Allvin said both Lekkerimäki and D-Petey will be coming to Abby after their playoffs are over. D-Petey will be done this week. 

OK Thanks, I saw Allvin make mention of that at the World Jr's when he was in Sweden. Didn't know if there was an update since then.

Orebro's last game (of the regular season) is March 12th I believe, which is a week away tomorrow.

Hopefully we have a Lekker sighting in Vancouver shortly thereafter. 

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I hear of this "Hogs and Podz" path to the NHL often (along with simmering in the AHL for 2-3yrs).

I think a young player should join his NHL team when he's ready.  He needs the challenge of the

Meanwhile, Raty has played 107 games to date.  If the coaching staff think he's ready

I don't think you realize how challenging the jump to the NHL is for any young player given your comment. Lek is a heck of a player, but he still hasn't competed against the best in the world. As we see with Hogz and Podz, time in the AHL helps a player from a number of perspectives. First, it allows them time to learn systems, defensive play and expectations of the pro level in north america. It also gives them more time to gain strength given the AHL schedule is lighter so there is more practice and gym time. It also allows them to make errors, and thus not lose confidence in their game. It gives them prime ice time they wont see in the NHL which is crucial for their development (ie top 6, PK, PP)....

Young players who are offensive can easily bust if they don't succeed right away, they're not used to failing. They're not used to being thrown around, they're not used to playing 6 minutes a night (which hurts them mentally and developmentally).  This is why allowing them to "graduate" to the NHL is a wise strategy.

On top of that, management has said they want their players to over cook in the AHL before they are called up. Most players aren't actually "ready" for the NHL right away, that's the point - because of all the development they need mentioned above.

A reminder, Podz played in the KHL for 2 years before coming over, which is a tougher league than the SHL, and he needed time in Abby. Players like Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Burrows, Schneider, Bieksa, and many others played in the AHL. There is immense value from it. Too many people think oh he's offensive bring him in now!!! There's more to developing players than that, and if we want him to be a star for us for a decade or more, he's better off taking a year or more in the AHL IMHO.

Edited by Bardown
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Orebro's last game (of the regular season) is March 12th I believe, which is a week away tomorrow.

Hopefully we have a Lekker sighting in Vancouver shortly thereafter. 

Maybe, but Orebro (currently 9th) will be in a play-in best of three against probably Lulea (currently 8th). If they lose that Lekkerimaki would be on his way to Abbotsford, but I'd say March 18-20 at the earliest. Later if they reach the next series in the best-of-seven  quarter finals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bardown said:

I don't think you realize how challenging the jump to the NHL is for any young player given your comment. Lek is a heck of a player, but he still hasn't competed against the best in the world. As we see with Hogz and Podz, time in the AHL helps a player from a number of perspectives. First, it allows them time to learn systems, defensive play and expectations of the pro level in north america. It also gives them more time to gain strength given the AHL schedule is lighter so there is more practice and gym time. It also allows them to make errors, and thus not lose confidence in their game. It gives them prime ice time they wont see in the NHL which is crucial for their development (ie top 6, PK, PP)....

Young players who are offensive can easily bust if they don't succeed right away, they're not used to failing. They're not used to being thrown around, they're not used to playing 6 minutes a night (which hurts them mentally and developmentally).  This is why allowing them to "graduate" to the NHL is a wise strategy.

On top of that, management has said they want their players to over cook in the AHL before they are called up. Most players aren't actually "ready" for the NHL right away, that's the point - because of all the development they need mentioned above.

A reminder, Podz played in the KHL for 2 years before coming over, which is a tougher league than the SHL, and he needed time in Abby. Players like Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Burrows, Schneider, Bieksa, and many others played in the AHL. There is immense value from it. Too many people think oh he's offensive bring him in now!!! There's more to developing players than that, and if we want him to be a star for us for a decade or more, he's better off taking a year or more in the AHL IMHO.

Perhaps I wasn't very clear about what I meant to say.

If/when Raty makes the NHL, it will be when he's ready.  Peeps won't say 'oh my gosh, he 

hasn't played in the AHL long enough'.  Already, he has had significantly more time in the NHL

than Podz or Hogs and he still has another +20 and playoff games to go this season.

If the trainers and coaching staff view him as NHL ready, they're more than likely right.

I don't assume that you have read my earlier thread on Raty. I commented that I am hopeful

that Raty can make the jump to the NHL I commented that I am hopeful

after NY sometime.  By that time, he will have played in +180 games in the AHL. 

I simply don't like to see a player held back when they are ready to play in the NHL.

It ends up frustrating him and doesn't allow his development to continue at a

higher level.

19 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Perhaps I wasn't very clear about what I meant to say.

If/when Raty makes the NHL, it will be when he's ready.  Peeps won't say 'oh my gosh, he 

hasn't played in the AHL long enough'.  Already, he has had significantly more time in the NHL

than Podz or Hogs and he still has another +20 and playoff games to go this season.

If the trainers and coaching staff view him as NHL ready, they're more than likely right.

I don't assume that you have read my earlier thread on Raty. I commented that I am hopeful

that Raty can make the jump to the NHL I commented that I am hopeful

after NY sometime.  By that time, he will have played in +180 games in the AHL. 

I simply don't like to see a player held back when they are ready to play in the NHL.

It ends up frustrating him and doesn't allow his development to continue at a

higher level.

What players have been held back that you could point to? Most players who are "truly" ready are given opportunities to show it. Few players are actually ever truly ready.

I get your point but would argue, most players aren't usually ready that quickly. And if they are, they generally are given an opportunity to play.

1 hour ago, Bardown said:

What players have been held back that you could point to? Most players who are "truly" ready are given opportunities to show it. Few players are actually ever truly ready.

I get your point but would argue, most players aren't usually ready that quickly. And if they are, they generally are given an opportunity to play.

I don't remember the Canucks being in the kind of circumstances where it would happen.  It

would likely be a contending team that has a lot of quality depth, or a rebuilding team that has

too many young players and are in need of vet influence.

Doubt it happens very often due to salary cap issues, which has created a rush to get them up

to the NHL team.  Luckily the Canuck management appear to be more thoughtful regarding

this matter.  I trust their judgment on a prospects' readiness' for the NHL.

11 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't remember the Canucks being in the kind of circumstances where it would happen.  It

would likely be a contending team that has a lot of quality depth, or a rebuilding team that has

too many young players and are in need of vet influence.

Doubt it happens very often due to salary cap issues, which has created a rush to get them up

to the NHL team.  Luckily the Canuck management appear to be more thoughtful regarding

this matter.  I trust their judgment on a prospects' readiness' for the NHL.

The developing quality and depth within the Canuck organization is really a great development considering the history. With the TDL looming this Friday I worry about which players will be traded out. 

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The developing quality and depth within the Canuck organization is really a great development considering the history. With the TDL looming this Friday I worry about which players will be traded out. 

Alf doesn’t worry about this because he knows Benning, the Moran, is gone.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2024 at 10:00 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Sounds like he might wait to see if he's named to the swedish team for the worlds

On 3/4/2024 at 9:16 AM, higgyfan said:

I think he is ready. 

Aatu Räty sets franchise record with four points in one period en route to a convincing 8-3 victory for the Abby Canucks

He could get a call up or I could see Karlsson called up again if we continue to struggle scoring they have to try something.

plus we still have 3 call up spots we can do. Then those players would be eligible or “black aces “ for Canucks playoffs availability!?

4 points again today with 20 minutes to go against Manitoba. Maybe he's nearly ready to make the jump to being a bottom 6 center for us next season.

Not sure if it's who we have him playing with in Abbotsford, but the kid is suddenly 9 points in last 3 games, one of those games isn't over yet.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

43 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

4 points again today with 20 minutes to go against Manitoba. Maybe he's nearly ready to make the jump to being a bottom 6 center for us next season.

Not sure if it's who we have him playing with in Abbotsford, but the kid is suddenly 9 points in last 3 games, one of those games isn't over yet.

He's playing as a left winger with Gatcomb, on a line centered by Chase Wouters

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

He's playing as a left winger with Gatcomb, on a line centered by Chase Wouters

So, kind of freed up to focus more on offense. Nice to see that he can do it when put in that position, bodes well for his future with the Canucks. 

• Cheers 1

It's awesome seeing Canucks prospects flourish and grow into stars with the current coaching staff.  Under the Benning regime our prospects were developed poorly.  It's such a refreshing change.  

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

22 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, kind of freed up to focus more on offense. Nice to see that he can do it when put in that position, bodes well for his future with the Canucks. 

I'll bet he's inspired by Podz joining the team and slowly securing a spot.  I hope that Ratu

will get back to playing C, as that is in greater demand by the V-Canucks.  Being a right shot

centerman would be of greater value. This kid is going to be a very good player for the Nucks.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2