Brandon Sutter retires

Too bad, I was really rooting for him

The Edmonton Oilers have released Brandon Sutter from his professional tryout (PTO) and the veteran forward has issued the following statement:

I’m grateful for the opportunity that Ken, Jay and the Oilers organization have provided to me the past few weeks. You need to be 100 percent healthy to compete in the NHL, and although my health continues to improve, in consideration of my health and family, I am officially retiring from hockey.

Thank you to the Oilers, Canucks, Penguins and Hurricanes, as well as all my past coaches, trainers and teammates for the incredible experiences throughout my 13 seasons in the NHL.

Entering the NHL as Carolina's first-round selection (11th overall) at the 2007 NHL Draft, Sutter appeared in 770 career regular season games, scoring 152 goals and 137 assists for 289 points.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Sad 16
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Dang that sucks. Didn't look too bad against us, but I guess they didn't want to give him a shot.

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I thought he looked pretty good for Edmonton, too bad they didn't see enough, rough way to end but atleast he didn't quit.

Tweaked the OP, sounds like it was a mutual decision based on his health 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is why take stuff like your health and Covid seriously. He's not the only one that's been heavily impacted by long Covid. I wish him the best of luck, a long happy life.

He got to enjoy hockey at the pro level, and carve a decent career out of it. Maybe he can go into coaching or be involved in hockey in another capacity. Or just find another career that he would enjoy. What's the phrase? If you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life.

we should hire him

• Cheers 1

That was quick.  PTO's don't always result in contracts with the team a player has the PTO with.  If they don't make that team, often other teams will sign them.  Usually a player will wait until the regular season begins at least.  Sutter didn't give anybody a chance.  Maybe it was Edmonton or nobody for him or maybe he really didn't have the drive to play like he used to.

44 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Tweaked the OP, sounds like it was a mutual decision based on his health 

Makes more sense for why he wouldn't try and get an offer somewhere in the days remaining. Hope he has his health going forward and enjoys retirement.

• Cheers 1

I've been experiencing long-covid symptoms in the form of recurrent pneumonia and returned asthma ever since I caught Covid in February 2022. Every time I've gotten back to being in shape and feeling like myself, it comes back out of nowhere and knocks me on my ass for a month+. His story really resonated with me because of that, and served as inspiration for my own comeback to sport. I hoped like hell that he could do it, and seeing him call it a career really sucks.

• Sad 3
  • Huggy Bear 3

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

That was quick.  PTO's don't always result in contracts with the team a player has the PTO with.  If they don't make that team, often other teams will sign them.  Usually a player will wait until the regular season begins at least.  Sutter didn't give anybody a chance.  Maybe it was Edmonton or nobody for him or maybe he really didn't have the drive to play like he used to.

I think you missed the part where he said it was due to his health not being 100%. He wanted badly to see if he could get back to playing at the NHL level and found out that he isn’t there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is why take stuff like your health and Covid seriously. He's not the only one that's been heavily impacted by long Covid. I wish him the best of luck, a long happy life.

He got to enjoy hockey at the pro level, and carve a decent career out of it. Maybe he can go into coaching or be involved in hockey in another capacity. Or just find another career that he would enjoy. What's the phrase? If you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life.

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Remember one of Sutter's greatest achievement. His nickname for Hughes. Huggy Bear. 

That came to him on the spot while watching him get drafted apparently. 

I think he might make for a good coach one day. 

27 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I can see a possible career in coaching for him but that's just my speculation.

It's easy to point towards coaching when discussing NHL'ers when they retire, it comes up pretty regularly, but in Sutter's case I could actually see it. He never really got to call his career on his own terms, if he'd never caught Covid he'd probably still be playing. His health took hockey from him, at least in the playing as an NHL'er sense. It's easy to see how getting into coaching or something like scouting could be a way for him to make the transition on his own terms, for him to continue his hockey journey in a different capacity.

19 minutes ago, Shekky said:

wow I am kind of surprised by this but not surprised at the same time. I guess with long covid that he was having a problem with he was never quite the same afterwards.

It's sad, all athletes wanna go out on their own terms if possible and his health largely made his choice for him. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EB43 said:

The look on his face last night while Kane was chirping the Canucks.. One game with Kane as your teammate could cause retirement.

Hmm. He may have been going "I'm going to try this again". Kane as a teammate, and said "release me, I want out!! I cant deal with him!!! I'll retire first".  And then he did.