Time to give Rathbone a shot?

sashimi

Look I know odds are that Jack Rathbone is likely nothing more than an AHL/NHL tweener at best at this point.

But I think given current circumstances this might be the best time to give one last shot to prove himself in the NHL.

The one big glaring weakness on this team, even after two glorious wins over the Oilers, remains the right side of the defense.

Hronek looks great. Myers looks like Myers... in other words suitable for the third pair but can play second pair in a pinch. Still, he's not a great option in the top 4.

And then we get to Juulsen on the right side. I was really rooting for him. He looked great last year and I thought he would take a step and prove himself as an NHL regular this year. That didn't happen. He looks worse and like a liability out there. 

Good news is Carson Soucy should be back soon. Bad news is he's a left shot.

Tocchet seems pretty insistent and sticking to left-righty. I'm a big fan of this. Unfortunately the team doesn't have the best personnel for it.

With Soucy back and minimal lineup changes the defense probably looks like this:

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Myers

Soucy - Juulsen

It's great to have Soucy back but he's definitely not a puck mover. Pair him with Juulsen and that pair is getting hemmed in all night because they can't break out.

Who's pretty good at breakouts? Jack Rathbone.

I'd love to see him get a chance on the bottom pair with a solid shut-down guy like Soucy. I think it could work. It would require Rathbone taking a big step in his defensive play but the kid has to know what he needs to improve on and I'd be shocked if he hasn't been trying his hardest to get better defensively.

Once Soucy is back I'd go with these pairs for at least a game or two.

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Myers

Soucy - Rathbone

Decent amount of puck moving blended with offensive and defensive skill on each pair.

If it doesn't work send Jack back down and try McWard until they can add another legit RHD somehow.

I know a lot people are gonna say McWard should/will be called up before Rathbone. And you're right he probably will be called up before Rathbone. I think this management group is done with Rathbone. However, I think it would be worthwhile to give him one last shot and given the current circumstances it seems like a perfect opportunity has presented itself.

Thoughts? 

Edit:

Forgot to mention this. Big reason why I thought of this is Faber giving Rathbone a shout out for his play in Abby. Apparently he's seen their best d-man so far.

https://x.com/ChrisFaber39/status/1713288068290187545?t=OxM7XQrOMddnojVHPieESg&s=09

Edit:

NEVERMIND. I am an idiot and somehow mistook Jack for a right shot.

He shoots left, making this point entirely moot. Also makes sense why he wasn't given more of a look in camp.

I feel like I've seen listed on the right side for so long but obviously I was wrong. Check your facts before posting kids.

Locking this.

Edited by sashimi
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

Hard to say. He hasn't warranted or earned it, other than being a mainstay as a prospect. His camp was sub-par minus a couple events. 

I don't think right now is the best play and especially in Tocchet's defensive-responsibility structure. He's just not a good fit at he moment and his limited game is not what we need either. I think it would only highlight his flaws that much further in this environment.

Only way he should be called up is because another team is willing to take him on and wants to see him showcased for 1 game.

Sorry, would love to see him succeed but the place for that is elsewhere now.

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

He had training camp to make an impression. And he was pretty much invisible.

Let me turn this around. What has he done to make you want to give him a shot?

McWard was near the last batch of cuts. I'm sorry, it's not like Jack doesn't try.

But I just don't see NHL player in him.

• Cheers 2

I foresee that the time the big team gives Rathbone a shot is if he needs a vaccine, needs a boost to get into orbit, or spikes his energy drink with whisky.  He's far enough down the depth chart at the moment that there'd have to be quite a few injuries in order for him to get a regular spot on the team - and even then, GMPA may go the trade route to fill any holes.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, aGENT said:

I both think he could play in the NHL (sheltered 3rd pair, with a solid defensive partner and 2 PP time) but also isn't remotely a fit on our roster.

Time to give him a shot? Sure, on another team.

Yup. Rathbone’s best value for us might be as sugar to dumperoo Garland. 

• Like 1

Rathbone is worse than Juulsen, and even he isn't worthy of a roster position.

Jack Rathbone will never be an NHL d-man, he's had ample chance to prove he is, and shat the bed every time....he's small and has no D in his game, and probably deep down he thinks he's in tough, and maybe that mindset translates into his lackluster showcases.

kbkb.jpg

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, sashimi said:

I’m going to be honest with you.  
IMO, Rathbone just isn’t going to be good enough defensively to ever play in the NHL consistently. 
I thought of that the second I read the title of your thread and the only reason I read the whole post is because I love sashimi. 
I could eat it at every meal. 
Big fan of most kind of fish too, but salmon is my fav.  

• Thanks 1

I think the only way Rathbone gets a call up is to showcase in a trade for a game to be part of a bigger trade. McWard has passed him on the depth chart 100%. My honest opinion is he will not see another game with the big club this season and only way he does is via minor league trade and finds a new home. 

I like Rath but his tools don’t fit unfortunately with our defensive depth chart. 

1 hour ago, sashimi said:

Look I know odds are that Jack Rathbone is likely nothing more than an AHL/NHL tweener at best at this point.

But I think given current circumstances this might be the best time to give one last shot to prove himself in the NHL.

The one big glaring weakness on this team, even after two glorious wins over the Oilers, remains the right side of the defense.

Hronek looks great. Myers looks like Myers... in other words suitable for the third pair but can play second pair in a pinch. Still, he's not a great option in the top 4.

And then we get to Juulsen on the right side. I was really rooting for him. He looked great last year and I thought he would take a step and prove himself as an NHL regular this year. That didn't happen. He looks worse and like a liability out there. 

Good news is Carson Soucy should be back soon. Bad news is he's a left shot.

Tocchet seems pretty insistent and sticking to left-righty. I'm a big fan of this. Unfortunately the team doesn't have the best personnel for it.

With Soucy back and minimal lineup changes the defense probably looks like this:

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Myers

Soucy - Juulsen

It's great to have Soucy back but he's definitely not a puck mover. Pair him with Juulsen and that pair is getting hemmed in all night because they can't break out.

Who's pretty good at breakouts? Jack Rathbone.

I'd love to see him get a chance on the bottom pair with a solid shut-down guy like Soucy. I think it could work. It would require Rathbone taking a big step in his defensive play but the kid has to know what he needs to improve on and I'd be shocked if he hasn't been trying his hardest to get better defensively.

Once Soucy is back I'd go with these pairs for at least a game or two.

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Myers

Soucy - Rathbone

Decent amount of puck moving blended with offensive and defensive skill on each pair.

If it doesn't work send Jack back down and try McWard until they can add another legit RHD somehow.

I know a lot people are gonna say McWard should/will be called up before Rathbone. And you're right he probably will be called up before Rathbone. I think this management group is done with Rathbone. However, I think it would be worthwhile to give him one last shot and given the current circumstances it seems like a perfect opportunity has presented itself.

Thoughts? 

Edit:

Forgot to mention this. Big reason why I thought of this is Faber giving Rathbone a shout out for his play in Abby. Apparently he's seen their best d-man so far.

https://x.com/ChrisFaber39/status/1713288068290187545?t=OxM7XQrOMddnojVHPieESg&s=09

I’d be willing to give that lineup a shot. If for any reason, to increase his trade value. 

Give him a showing once he's truely earned it. Have him work on his consistency and defensive play in the AHL. Be the guy. If he takes a step, then give him a shot.

A couple games in the AHL aren't enough. He looked below average in training camp and preseason. He needs to force his way onto the team.

Dude is making almost a million dollars playing in the minors. Not gonna feel sorry for him.

Not every player makes the show. If he wants his shot he’s gotta earn it. He needs to prove he can be reliable at both ends of the ice. Just not sure he has what it takes though.

2 hours ago, Sooey Steamer said:

I believe Rathbone is a lefty...

Lmao shit you're totally right. I don't know why but I remember seeing him constantly listed on the right side for some reason. My bad. Moot point then. Also makes sense why he wasn't given more of a look in camp.

Closing this.

• sashimi locked, unlocked and locked this topic