CFFGML - 2023-24

Here is the Capitals/Penguins matchup side by side:

Washington Capitals                       Pittsburgh Penguins

Verhaeghe - Kuznetsov - Henrique                    Hintz      - Duchene - Lindholm

Wood         - Stenlund    - Noesen                      Dadonov - Geekie    - Rodrigues

Duhaime    - Cogliano    - Okposo                      Drouin     - Drury      - Cotter

Toews     -   Skjei                                                   Bouchard   -   Hronek

Zadorov  -  Suter                                                   Montour     -    Lohrei

Stecher   -  Desharnais                                         Shattenkirk

Quick                                                                      Kochetkov

Should be a close one @ActionJax09

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

The other Eastern Conference matchup should be a barn burner as well between @Lethunder and @Gator

Here's how the lineups stack up side by side:

Toronto Maple Leafs                                 Buffalo Sabres

Frederic   - MacKinnon     - Reinhart                            Tarasenko  - Trocheck      - Teravainen

Kane        -  Colton            - Stankoven                        Goodrow     -Staal             - Martinook

Heinen     -  Luostarainen  - Mikheyev                         Fast            - Kovalenko    - Bonino

Vesey

Fox    -  Manson

Hughes   - Ceci                                                              Nurse - Mikkola       

Kulak      - Peeke                                                            Myers

Bobrovsky                                                                     Ullmark

• Like 2

14 hours ago, canuck2xtreme said:

This is a good suggestion, as it seems there is still debate about this, so let's see what the league thinks.

IMPORTANT!!!

The option to expand and bring one team back (Anaheim) is being discussed.  Please read this post and vote by interacting with this post.

Our expansion rules would be as follows:

***EDIT: I should note, as far as minimum exposure requirements go, pending UFAs WILL count towards the exposure limit provided they have played at least 41 games in the 2023-24 season, or 25 games for goaltenders.  RFAs who have been qualified will also count, as they did before.***

If you are in favour of expanding and bringing back Anaheim, please like this post with a goal light.

If you are opposed to expanding at this time, please like this post with a brick wall.

Voting will end when one side reaches majority (16 votes) or tomorrow evening, May 6th at 7pm Pacific time, so that Phase 1 of the draft lottery can be posted before the NHL draft lottery on May 7th.

Thank you for your input!

@canuck2xtreme

hey, did I miss something here? I am voting for expansion, but IMO, May 7th for the draft lottery is way too early with teams still in the playoffs. Why would a team near the top of the playoffs trade a player who is scoring in the playoffs for picks? Aka Celibrini (1st Over all for say Draisaitl) I mean, it should be done after the playoffs, should it not?

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, canuck2xtreme said:

No replacements mid-season this year.  We have as many as 2 GMs leaving at the end of the playoffs, but we have two new GMs ready to step in and take those teams, as well as Rush interested in returning who would take the expansion team.

I definitely agree with aGENT's point that we don't want to be yo-yo'ing, but I also remember the sentiment of teams wanting to return to a full league as soon as we're able to.  This would get us a step closer.  Contracting those two teams was because they went at least a full season without a GM and it was done as an absolute last resort, it wasn't a decision made on a whim.  I believe we should strive to reach a full league again, especially when there is enough interest to get closer to that.  However, I can understand the other sides point of view as well.  So we will let majority rule, if people don't feel it's the right move, we won't do it.  If our GMs want it, we will do it.  But I'd prefer to get an answer quickly so I can post Phase 1 of our Draft lottery either with or without Anaheim before the NHL does their draft lottery on Tuesday.

I hope we are mirroring NHL expansion rules.

7 forwards - 3 defenceman - 1 goalie

First and second year pro's and unsigned draft picks are exempt.

7 hours ago, JIAHN said:

@canuck2xtreme

hey, did I miss something here? I am voting for expansion, but IMO, May 7th for the draft lottery is way too early with teams still in the playoffs. Why would a team near the top of the playoffs trade a player who is scoring in the playoffs for picks? Aka Celibrini (1st Over all for say Draisaitl) I mean, it should be done after the playoffs, should it not?

The NHL is holding their draft lottery on May 7th, so we have no choice in that matter.  We need to get our phase 1 completed before that happens.  This was around the same window last season as well. 

As for trading, there are no trades allowed at this point for teams still in the playoffs.  But teams in the playoffs are not in the draft lottery, so it won't effect them.

If you're thinking I meant the actual Entry Draft, that's not on May 7th, just the lottery.  Our entry draft will be either the 22nd or 23rd of June.

5 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I hope we are mirroring NHL expansion rules.

7 forwards - 3 defenceman - 1 goalie

First and second year pro's and unsigned draft picks are exempt.

Our expansion rules would differ slightly from the NHL's previous rules to help teams prepare, as they'd only have a month to prepare rather than a full season.  Teams would have the option to protect either:

8 forwards, 3 defence, 1 goalie

7 forwards, 4 defence, 1 goalie

10 skaters (any position), 1 goalie

As for exempt players, the exemption status would bump up from 2 seasons to 3.  So players with 3 or fewer professional seasons would be exempt, as well as unsigned draft picks.

Minimum exposure requirements would remain the same, as well as players with NMC's being automatically protected.

Anaheim would select only 20 players of their choosing, meaning 10 teams would not lose anyone in the process.  This keeps flexibility for both our current teams and the expansion team, and increases likely trades being made to protect a player, or in some cases, convince Anaheim to not choose a player from a teams roster.

The Ducks would be involved in our draft lottery process, but unless they won the draft lottery their picks would be slotted 15th, after all the current non-playoff teams.

***EDIT: I should note, as far as minimum exposure requirements go, pending UFAs WILL count towards the exposure limit provided they have played at least 41 games in the 2023-24 season, or 25 games for goaltenders.  RFAs who have been qualified will also count, as they did before.***

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Caboose said:

What about teams who own ANA picks from previous iterations of the team?

You will still hold that pick.  Anaheim will get their 1st, 3rd and 4th back but you hold their 2nd and will be able to select in that place.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, canuck2xtreme said:

You will still hold that pick.  Anaheim will get their 1st, 3rd and 4th back but you hold their 2nd and will be able to select in that place.

teams still have teams picks that have been folded? ouch. With contraction that ought to have been handled without involving a new GM with a brand new club, imo. I wouldn't mind if in that rare circumstance the old pick is a 'freebie' for the club that owns it but the new GM and new club don't carry forward the penalty. Just my two cents, don't really care so much as it aint me, but fair is fair to the new guy right? (and yes i do have a history of pushin back on policies that make it incredibly hard for new people to join and enjoy fantasy keeper leagues, hehe, nothing has changed there)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

teams still have teams picks that have been folded? ouch. With contraction that ought to have been handled without involving a new GM with a brand new club, imo. I wouldn't mind if in that rare circumstance the old pick is a 'freebie' for the club that owns it but the new GM and new club don't carry forward the penalty. Just my two cents, don't really care so much as it aint me, but fair is fair to the new guy right? (and yes i do have a history of pushin back on policies that make it incredibly hard for new people to join and enjoy fantasy keeper leagues, hehe, nothing has changed there)

While I don't disagree with your underlying point, the potential incoming Ducks GM has no issue with the draft pick situation, so it's not necessary to make it more complicated.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

Heading to work, but it looks like I may not be home before the NHL holds tomorrow's Draft lottery.  Seems it's a pretty solid bet at this point that expansion is going to move forward, so with that in mind, here is our Draft Lottery Phase 1 for tomorrow's NHL Draft Lottery odds.

DraftLotteryPhase1Expansion.jpg.d482b83f8c934456d730abedfdafffa3.jpg

Edited by canuck2xtreme

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

image.thumb.jpeg.792cdb7be069f55a3600b440761a6670.jpeg

So a team can only fall two spots at most in the draft after both phases ?

Like IRL.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

So a team can only fall two spots at most in the draft after both phases ?

Like IRL.

It was pointed out to me after I posted this that the phase 1 shuffle is only for the purposes of the draft lotto tomorrow... above my pay grade, but yeah, I think only 2 winners, and they cant move up more than ten spots.

• Thanks 1

Battle in the West: Canucks Aim to Keep Rolling, Oilers Look to Upset in Second-Round Showdown

The second round of the GML playoffs is up and going in Vancouver, with the President's Trophy-winning Canucks taking on the red-hot Edmonton Oilers in a series brimming with potential.  Both teams boast legitimate Stanley Cup aspirations, making this a matchup hockey fans won't want to miss.

Vancouver enters the series fresh off a hard-fought seven-game battle against the Nashville Predators.  Despite a valiant effort from the Preds, the Canucks' offensive firepower, led by JT Miller, Artemi Panarin and Artturi Lekhonen, proved to be too much to handle.

"We learned a lot about ourselves in that series," said Canucks star JT Miller.  "We faced adversity, but we stuck together.  That kind of experience can be invaluable this deep in the playoffs."

However, the Oilers shouldn't be underestimated.  After a slow start to the season, Edmonton surged down the stretch, culminating in a pre-deadline trade that brought in superstar winger Mikko Rantanen. Rantanen's impact has been undeniable, bringing a much-needed spark of leadership and offensive creativity to the Oilers.

"We weren't happy with how things were going," admitted Oilers forward Jamie Benn.  "But bringing in Mikko [Rantanen] changed everything.  He's brought a championship mentality to this team, and we're all feeding off his energy."

Rantanen will be tasked with leading the charge against a potent Canucks attack.  Edmonton boasts a deep, six-man defensive unit anchored by Aaron Ekblad, but they'll need to be at their best to contain Vancouver's dynamic top-six forwards.

"It's going to be a battle," said Ekblad.  "We know they have a lot of weapons up front, but we're confident in our group.  It's all about taking it one shift at a time and making them work for every inch of ice."

Both teams have the luxury of elite goaltending, with Jake Oettinger standing tall for the Canucks and Igor Shesterkin emerging as a true difference-maker for Edmonton.  Whichever goaltender can steal a game or two could very well swing the series.

"It's a goalie's dream on this stage," said Shesterkin.  "You just want to give your team a chance to win every night.  I'm ready for the challenge."

This series promises to be a classic matchup of offense versus defense, with both teams hungry to take the next step towards their ultimate goal - hoisting the Stanley Cup.  Puck drops tonight in Vancouver, and hockey fans across Canada are sure to be glued to their televisions.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Here's a side by side of this Western Conference powerhouse matchup

Vancouver Canucks                                                        Edmonton Oilers

Artemi Panarin      JT Miller              Artturi Lehkonen                          Jamie Benn        Martin Necas       Mikko Rantanen

Chris Kreider         Charlie Coyle      Jake Debrusk                               Nick Cousins       Tyler Seguin

Craig Smith           Derek Ryan

Sam Girard                  Aaron Ekblad

Mattias Ekholm              Jani Hakanpaa                                                 Braden Schneider       Brandon Carlo

Parker Wotherspoon      Sam Malinski                                                   Dmitry Kulikov             Carson Soucy

Caleb Jones

Igor Shesterkin

Jake Oettinger

IR: Gabriel Landeskog

Good luck to both @Theo5789 and @Canuck Surfer in what should be an intense battle!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, da.moose said:

Here's a side by side of this Western Conference powerhouse matchup

Vancouver Canucks                                                        Edmonton Oilers

Artemi Panarin      JT Miller              Artturi Lehkonen                          Jamie Benn        Martin Necas       Mikko Rantanen

Chris Kreider         Charlie Coyle      Jake Debrusk                               Nick Cousins       Tyler Seguin

Craig Smith           Derek Ryan

Sam Girard                  Aaron Ekblad

Mattias Ekholm              Jani Hakanpaa                                                 Braden Schneider       Brandon Carlo

Parker Wotherspoon      Sam Malinski                                                   Dmitry Kulikov             Carson Soucy

Caleb Jones

Igor Shesterkin

Jake Oettinger

IR: Gabriel Landeskog

Good luck to both @Theo5789 and @Canuck Surfer in what should be an intense battle!

Thanks da!

Missing Justus Annunen.

To my eye we look better on D; them up front. A pretty dead heat when analyzing...

G's pretty close but Annunen could tip this thing my way? He would have got game two in the first round had he been available imo.

On 5/4/2024 at 9:57 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Am I abrupt for calling a series? 

@kondorclipz619 congratulations on making the show. Awesome result for your team.  I thought you might meet, and beat yer dad?

Edmonton 2knd round

Tyler Bertuzzi  Martin Necas  Mikko Rantanen

Jamie Benn   Tyler Seguin   Keegan Kolesar

William Carrier Nick Cousins Brett Howden 

Jake Leschyshyn Dmitri Zlodeyev

Noah Hanifin  Aaron Ekblad

Brandon Carlo Samuel Girard

Braden Schneider  Carson Soucy

Dmitry Kulikov  Matthew Schneider

Igor Shesterkin

Justus Annunen

Reserve the right to include Ivan Morozov in liu of Jamie Benn or Tyler Seguin if Vegas win their 1st round series...

Italics are game 7 players while 2knd round has started...

@canuck2xtreme

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

So you guys are trying to tell me that I didn’t win the First Round? 

Is that’s what’s happening? 

You guys are low-key assholes. 

image.gif.3f3c74dac55f6b1cdb2b5f86df7f5866.gif

I think @Gator has been very magnanimous in victory.

I can remember a Sharpie - Crabby " feud " that I am very glad has ended. 

Don't like it when my friends are not getting along.

Anyway, congratulations on making the playoffs.

That alone is a great achievement.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, canuck2xtreme said:

The NHL is holding their draft lottery on May 7th, so we have no choice in that matter.  We need to get our phase 1 completed before that happens.  This was around the same window last season as well. 

As for trading, there are no trades allowed at this point for teams still in the playoffs.  But teams in the playoffs are not in the draft lottery, so it won't effect them.

If you're thinking I meant the actual Entry Draft, that's not on May 7th, just the lottery.  Our entry draft will be either the 22nd or 23rd of June.

Yeah, I totally mis read that C2X....I am so sorry about my confusion....

• Huggy Bear 2

12 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

So you guys are trying to tell me that I didn’t win the First Round? 

Is that’s what’s happening? 

You guys are low-key assholes. 

image.gif.3f3c74dac55f6b1cdb2b5f86df7f5866.gif

I am so glad we got the weinermobile as a like button out of the whole Kessel affair. lol. 

• Like 1