St. Louis - Head Coach Craig Berube fired

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/blues-relieve-berube-of-coaching-duties

St. Louis Blues President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced tonight the team has relieved Craig Berube of his coaching duties and named Springfield Thunderbirds head coach Drew Bannister as interim head coach.

Bannister will travel to St. Louis on Wednesday and serve his first game behind the bench on Thursday when the Blues host the Ottawa Senators.

Bannister, 49, has spent the past three seasons with the Blues’ AHL affiliate in Springfield, leading the team to a 93-58-19 regular-season record. The Belleville, Ontario, native has also guided the Thunderbirds to consecutive playoff appearances, including 2021-22, when they won the Eastern Conference and reached the Calder Cup Final. 

Bannister began his coaching career in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), where he spent three seasons as an assistant with Owen Sound and three as head coach with the Soo Greyhounds. He also served as head coach of the AHL’s San Antonio Rampage and as an associate coach with the Utica Comets. 

As a player, Bannister’s career spanned over 20 years and included 164 NHL regular-season games between the Tampa Bay Lightning, Edmonton Oilers, Anaheim Mighty Ducks, and New York Rangers.

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Binnington is a puck sucker. 

Also one of the main reasons why Blues went on heater and won the cup. Back then Berube was coach of the year material.

Now that Binnington’s sucking pucks, Berube takes the fall for it.

Show me a great goalie and I’ll show you a great coach.

To add to that, Armstrong is overrated as a GM and has made some questionable decisions. If Blues don’t get a coaching bump from the new guy, Armstrong will get his pink slip next. 

Edited by PistolPete13

The decision to sign Faulk for 6.5 mil instead of Petriengalo for 8.5 was unreal. Although the worst problems come from the GM side of things, Berube had his own faults too. I believe St. Louis would have beaten us in the COVID playoffs if Berube wasn't so insistent on playing Binnington when clearly Allen was playing better. 

Edited by AK-19
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

The decision to sign Faulk for 6.5 mil instead of Petriengalo for 8.5 was unreal. Although the worst problems come from the GM side of things, Berube had his own faults too. I believe St. Louis would have beaten us in the COVID playoffs if Berube wasn't so insistent on playing Binnington when clearly Allen was playing better. 

No kidding.  Pietrangelo was and still is a world class top pair RHD.  You don't let those kinda guys go.  Way too hard to replace.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, AK-19 said:

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

No kidding.  Pietrangelo was and still is a world class top pair RHD.  You don't let those kinda guys go.  Way too hard to replace.

Blues keep Petro and maybe they win another cup, and Vegas probably doesn't 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/13/2023 at 6:38 AM, DrJockitch said:

They just aren’t a very good team anymore.
They caught lightning in a bottle but that team got broken up. 

Binnington just isn’t that good a tender overall.  They should see if they can find a sucker like Edmonton or NJ to take him to start rebuild. 

Oh man, can you imagine how bad Binky would be behind an Oiler D.

His head would explode.

On 12/13/2023 at 9:38 AM, DrJockitch said:

They just aren’t a very good team anymore.
They caught lightning in a bottle but that team got broken up. 

Binnington just isn’t that good a tender overall.  They should see if they can find a sucker like Edmonton or NJ to take him to start rebuild. 

Binnington will take a lot of the blame, and while he hasn't been the 2019 version of himself, he's been fairly good this year.

His save percentage is higher than Shesterkin and Oettinger, and his GAA is better than Sorokin.

The defense in front of him has been abysmal. Would help explain why he's so ornery.

52 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Binnington will take a lot of the blame, and while he hasn't been the 2019 version of himself, he's been fairly good this year.

His save percentage is higher than Shesterkin and Oettinger, and his GAA is better than Sorokin.

The defense in front of him has been abysmal. Would help explain why he's so ornery.

Colorado looked unstoppable on their cup run. But they were in real trouble against the Blues before Kadri injured Binnington. If St Louis still had Pietrangelo instead of Krug, decent chance they are the ones coming out of that series.

Edited by D-Money
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Colorado looked unstoppable on their cup run. But they were in real trouble against the Blues before Kadri injured Binnington. If St Louis still had Pietrangelo instead of Krug, decent chance they are the ones coming out of that series.

I had the Blues as my dark horse to win the cup in 2022. I believe they could've pulled off the upset if Binnington was healthy for the whole series.