2024 IIHF World Junior Championship Thread

Just now, gwarrior said:

I can't wait for the world junior's to start. My mom and I NEED that distraction right now. Canuck games help alot right now. But the world junior's are the best distraction. Always intense. Always crazy viewing!!!! Need this!!!!

Treat your mom with love and respect. You’re not going to her her forever. And go Sweden! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Treat your mom with love and respect. You’re not going to her her forever. And go Sweden! 

I do, and will. As for go Sweden. I can't go there. Go Canucks prospects, yes, but I'll pull for Sweden only if Canada is out. I'm still a hardcore Canadian.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, gwarrior said:

I can't wait for the world junior's to start. My mom and I NEED that distraction right now. Canuck games help alot right now. But the world junior's are the best distraction. Always intense. Always crazy viewing!!!! Need this!!!!

You are right; this is great! 

I love concentrating on the youth, they have already worked hard in their lives to get this far, are so talented, and their parents/guardians are still very close and involved in their lives.  All that potential and good development, teamwork, sportsmanship is so much fun to see and there're things to learn that it instills the joy of life that resounds in the these young people. 

We know from your comments that you and your family are going through very difficult times and this forum is surprisingly good at coming together to try to help a bit when we learn of difficulties that people are going through.  For a bunch of goofs with fake names who will type anything to get a laugh, or a rise out of people (damn trolls), we tend to get real quickly when people are hurting. 

Keep reaching out G-Dub, try not to despair, dig into the games, and get out of them what you put into them; in other words, keep busy and concentrate on positive, forward-thinking things that you can manage, and if possible, Help Others, there is no greater joy than being able to help someone else in life.

There is much more in life than the media, especially TV, make it seem.  Turning the damn thing off can brighten anyone's life.  Sensational, gory headlines and details make people feel powerless and desperate (so that they think they need a Big Mac or a new car, etc, to be happy).  Buyer's remorse proves that this does not work.  The important things in life are inside us already, like heart, courage, love, understanding, recognizing others' needs, etc; all things that don't need a TV or money.  Concentrate on the things that make life great, like the exuberance of youth in the upcoming tournament.  But most of all, don't suffer alone; reach out and discuss things.  Get real help (not some goofy old fart trying to make people laugh on the internet) if you and yours need it.

My personal trick (and I have lots of problems trying to keep me down, mentally, emotionally, and physically) is: No matter how I feel upon waking (and sometimes it is pretty awful), I force myself to smile. 

Immediately things start to get a bit better. 

Face feels better, brain starts to laugh at me that I'm lying there faking feeling ok, then the brain starts to concentrate on the good vibes; and the aches and pains, the regrets and old mistakes start to fade into the background of one's consciousness, and the head starts to enjoy the humour of life and loosen up and the smile becomes real and natural. 

For me, that is when I make the push to get up, grimace out a new fake smile if I have to, but I'm up and pretty soon, I'm up and at 'em (even though I'm not very good at getting at 'em anymore, lol). 

This little trick to fool yourself first thing upon waking, can set the mood for your day.  I'm not kidding; it really works; and you get better at it over time.  People think its stupid but it works. 

I think part of the reason it works, is that you feel stupid even trying it.  Problems seem overwhelming; how can anything this simple make any difference?  But it does. 

And it resets your day to start on a positive note.  And you have already got one thing accomplished just by getting out of bed with a (perhaps ugly, grimacing) smile on your face.

Smile!  Don't despair; keep seeking help.

Help others (with anything).  Nothing makes people feel better than helping others.

If your mom isn't as fanatical as you are about hockey, Grab onto your Googler (not in front of anyone!) and deep dive into these young players, and share the information with your family.  People love to learn and hockey breeches invisible barriers between generations.  I am heading out (anywhere out of the house is a big deal for me now) in a couple hours to spend time with my mom (94) who is in care but still full of (vocal) beans. 

We are going to send out some eCards and eTRNs to her kids (my siblings), their spouses, grandkids, great grandkids, and more.  Mom can longer write, or go shopping or banking, and doesn't understand all the electronics of today.  She used to do so much for everyone all the time, especially at Christmas, that it causes her great pain to not be able to do 'her cards' or send everybody a little bit of what she calls, 'mad money' (don't know where she got that, but it used to be a thing, and she does get really mad at the refs! lol). 

So we will sit for a couple hours and that is a joy in itself; but also helping mom get the most out life helps me to feel better about myself and our family.  Later, I'll have to help her get her TV on the right channel for the Canucks game tonight (5:00pm "Be there or be Square"-Caveat from the Sixties).  Then the shouting and cheering will start, and soon after the refs are gonna hear all about it!!  The whole wing of her care facility hears about it.

GO CANUCKS GO! 

GO CANADA (and SWEDEN) GO!

GO CANUCKS PROSPECTS GO!  - Wherever they might be; like maybe in Sweden, at the tournament, playing for Sweden: Lekkerimaki-Stealthy Sniper; Willander-All-round Great RIGHT-hand D; Elias Pettersson V2.0 "D-Petey" Bigger Version of Elias Pettersson: Swedish Idol*.

[*can't find that clip with the Swedish fans singing "'Lias is our Idol" serenading Pettersson - I posted it on here years ago.. will keep looking.]

Cheers!  Keep on Smilin'.  Keep on Keepin' On (Another 60s/ 70s Slogan... I am on old guy after all.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coho8888 said:

IMG_6699.thumb.png.1b44e32bc4f9888861d7b1ba05cbdd1b.png

hmm, no mention of Willander by the Hockey News in their pre tournament scouting report.  Pretty bad omission if you ask me.

Probably just didn't want to give credit to the Canucks for having their top forward and their top defenceman 

• Thanks 1

Lekkerimaki and D Petey played well, in an exhibition loss to USA....very encouraging!

And in the American hockey writer's infinite wisdom, they included a pic of our scoring Petey (not D-Petey)

USA Today Sports, indeed 🥴🤨🙄 

Canucks World Junior recap: Lekkerimäki and Pettersson grab points in a spirited exhibition clash with the USA

Canucks World Junior recap: Lekkerimäki and Pettersson grab points in a spirited exhibition clash with the USA 

image.png.e61ea2838c7e3b087b810b6ec851c9fe.png

© Bob Frid-USA TODAY Sports

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

image.thumb.png.b78cb0128fde5ad1948d5269f42d7888.png

Coho8888 posted this; I was trying to take a clip out of it, and ended up quoting the inserted text, but not Coho8888's comments nor an acknowledgement of source for which I hereby apologize @coho8888.

So, in the above text, under 'Goaltending' we find the following:  "Undrafted Hugo Havelid has been a national-team favorite". 

At this point, I would like to nominate this goaltender for entry into the Hockey Names to Remember thread/or topic/or list/or whatever the Marchand its called).

Context: 

Back in the Sixties and Seventies cannabis was sold in small quantities which often garnered their names from the containers wiithin which the Little Smoke was meted out. 

For example, there was some I never actually saw, like the Nickel Bag, which presumable cost $5.00 (?) and the Dime Bag (10.00?) but I actually bought a Matchbox in Eugene, Oregon, which matchbox was the small size not the big wooden box often found around woodstoves and fireplaces.  That matchbox was $10.00. 

Later on, they went more by their weight, like an ounce, or a quarter ounce, or a (happy day) pound, and once we went semi-Metric, even a Key (Kilogram - Yay). 

But in between those weight names and the nickel bags and matchboxes, there was the Lid which was a Sandwich Baggie (pre-Ziplok days) of an unspecified weight, size, amount or anything; about the only constant was that a Lid was $20.00. 

For about 20 years, heads bought lids.  It was probably about 10 grams and you'd have to just look at the bag and contents as nobody was weighing anything (pre-digital scales too, and nobody lugged a triple-beam balance scale around with them). 

If it was all dust, sticks, and seeds (you were probably up North, lol), it was pretty crappy and the seeds took up a lot of weight and the sticks were too harsh and too weak to smoke and poked holes in your baggy and your rolling papers.  Usually you just had to go for it as there was seldom any other choices at all.

All this preamble is to add context to my nomination, Hugo Havelid.

I guess that you've guessed it by now, if you've read all this Old Fart Ramble, Hugo Havelid => You Go Have A Lid.

Hugo Havelid, Draft Him!  He's also a Swede, and a great tender; and once you do, it will be all-right, if you go have a lid for yourself. 

Only twenty bux. At the Old Farts' Time Machine Five and Dime, Matchbox and Baggie Store.  Or right now, today, and whenever, online, at Google's Got You Covered Dude.com.

All Name Hockey Team Entry #4:20 Hugo Havelid

4:20 in half an hour Hugo, go have a lid Dude.

Celebrini dodges a bullet:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/no-further-discipline-for-canada-s-celebrini-at-world-juniors/ar-AA1lWM3s?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=bdb4d38db7084561a4c037d1639e68fa&ei=19

Gotta say, this surprises me....knowing the IIHF as I do, I was fully expecting at least a one games suspension.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Celebrini dodges a bullet:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/no-further-discipline-for-canada-s-celebrini-at-world-juniors/ar-AA1lWM3s?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=bdb4d38db7084561a4c037d1639e68fa&ei=19

Gotta say, this surprises me....knowing the IIHF as I do, I was fully expecting at least a one games suspension.

I’m kind of disappointed in the WJrs tbh this year. Seeing snubs like our Dman on Kitchener from the USA team and Heidt from Canada when he’s the leading scorer in the CHL right now… speaks of rep politics. It appears that it’s about draft position and showcasing draft prospects rather than icing the best eligible team of the participating countries. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1