Jett Woo | D

48 minutes ago, Jim Tim said:

Maybe next year's Juulsen?

I think he has more upside than Juulsen, but if you mean for him to take his spot; it's completely possible. Quite frankly, Juulsen doesn't have the offensive game put together at all, which makes him more one dimensional than Woo. Woo, on the other hand, is not offensively talented by any means, but he has been put in pretty much all situations. Whatever Juulsen can do, I think Woo can do better.

• Like 1

His bad preseason game where the team got lit up 10-0 didn't help Woo's cause, and never saw another preseason game. 

He has a long way to climb to still be an NHL calibre level dman, mostly making quicker reads. IMO, watching a few of his games so far this season, he still doesn't make the quickest reads defensively. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2023 at 10:44 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

His bad preseason game where the team got lit up 10-0 didn't help Woo's cause, and never saw another preseason game. 

He has a long way to climb to still be an NHL calibre level dman, mostly making quicker reads. IMO, watching a few of his games so far this season, he still doesn't make the quickest reads defensively. 

How do you explain that Woo is used as a top pair defenseman then?

9 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

It's a low bar for RHD.  He just has to be better than:

McWard

Johansson

Schmiemann

Kannok-Liepert

Edited by Googlie

10 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

Abby Canucks are giving him every opportunity to make the big club next year as he is no longer protected from waivers. Both McWard and Johansson are still exempt next year

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

It's a low bar for RHD.  He just has to be better than:

McWard

Johansson

Schmiemann

Kannok-Liepert

Is that truly a fair assessment? He's doing well in his spot as it is. Aside from being marginally better than McWard, he has been noted as having good chemistry with Wolanin and they've been kept intact for the whole season so far

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Is that truly a fair assessment? He's doing well in his spot as it is. Aside from being marginally better than McWard, he has been noted as having good chemistry with Wolanin and they've been kept intact for the whole season so far

He actually has gelled well with Wolanin.  IIRC Juulsen and Wolanin were considered the top pair last season, while Woo partnered Rathbone very effectively.  Colliton liked pairing an offensive D with a defensively-minded one, although Woo is a better skater than Juulsen, Juuls has an awesome first pass capability.

(Interestingly, Juulsen has now played 96 NHL games, half with the Canucks.  I didn't realize he'd played that many for us)

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Woo fly's under the radar on the prospects page.  Set new career high in points today.  Just waiting on opportunity now.

Might come next year when Cole and Myers are gone. Its insane how good the team looks WITHOUT Myers

6 hours ago, filthy animal said:

Might come next year when Cole and Myers are gone. Its insane how good the team looks WITHOUT Myers

I agree. If he could nab the 7/8 spot, with Juulson taking a top 6 role, could help with  our cap next season.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2024 at 8:38 AM, NorthWestNuck said:

I agree. If he could nab the 7/8 spot, with Juulson taking a top 6 role, could help with  our cap next season.

I think he's guaranteed the #7 spot. A good season for him. 

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - 

Zadorov - Juulsen

Hirose - Woo

Edited by J-23
  • Like 2