Dakota Joshua | #81 | C/W

-AJ-

Joshua's biggest issue has been his inconsistency. Last season he looked like a 2nd line power forward one game to then be completely invisible the next four. He has been a lot more consistent this year, which is great to see, but he also came to camp below the conditioning level expected of him and was scratched early.

He's definitely a guy I would like to see the team keep, but I want to see if he can play consistently until the end of the season before talking about a big raise.

• Like 1

The big Vancouver Canucks winger had Craig Berube in St. Louis and now Rick Tocchet as tough taskmasters. Their constant push to improve players’ pace and presence would have driven others off the career road, but not Joshua.

And it’s why he’s in a good place.

“They both have more of the old-school mindset and I do like that,” Joshua said Wednesday following practice. “With those guys, your work is going to get you places. There’s no hiding with them. You’re not sneaking one by them.

“If you’re not doing your job they’re going to let you know about it and that’s the way it should be. You want to hear how it really is, not just to make you feel better. 

“This is a business of wins. There are no gifts being handed out and you don’t want to let him (Tocchet) or the team down.

----------------

It’s not just Joshua’s five goals in the last six games and being on pace for a career-high 21 to easily eclipse the 11 he had last season. It’s everything. 

The success of a relentless third-line forechecking alignment with Teddy Blueger and Conor Garland is punctuated by the 6-foot-3, 206-pound Joshua delivering 105 hits to rank fifth overall among all NHL skaters.

“It’s our predictability,” added the 27-year-old Joshua. “We know we want to get the puck down low, and by not hanging out in the D-zone, good things are going to happen. The goals happen when you’re doing the right things. And I’ve always been a believer in myself.”

'Ben Kuzma'

Dak now scoring at .5 points per game--almost double last year. At this rate, he's turning into an elite 3rd liner. The kinds of guys you need for playoff success.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Dak now scoring at .5 points per game--almost double last year. At this rate, he's turning into an elite 3rd liner. The kinds of guys you need for playoff success.

With Joshua's superior boardwork, puck control and shot I wonder if we have seen his top end yet? I think not. He might have top 6 potential. 

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

With Joshua's superior boardwork, puck control and shot I wonder if we have seen his top end yet? I think not. He might have top 6 potential. 

Do you think he has the creativity for that? For me, to see him be a solid 3rd line player is a great outcome given where he was when we got him 

He is having a amazing year so far, and if he keeps this out, he may price himself out of the market in the off-season.

I am hoping that everything will work and we can retain him here at a reasonable caphit next season.

He seems to me that a player the Leafs would overpay for in the off-season:

1. Leafs have always wanted to add a forward with some truculence and toughness into their line-up
  2. This is now Brad Treliving's team, if there is one thing know about him, his entire roster construction plan is to look for former Canucks who are on the UFA market.

3 hours ago, RJCF96 said:

He is having a amazing year so far, and if he keeps this out, he may price himself out of the market in the off-season.

I am hoping that everything will work and we can retain him here at a reasonable caphit next season.

He seems to me that a player the Leafs would overpay for in the off-season:

1. Leafs have always wanted to add a forward with some truculence and toughness into their line-up
  2. This is now Brad Treliving's team, if there is one thing know about him, his entire roster construction plan is to look for former Canucks who are on the UFA market.

Knowing Willie is looking for 10-11 mil there will be nothing left for the leafs to spend on third liners worth anything

22 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Do you think he has the creativity for that? For me, to see him be a solid 3rd line player is a great outcome given where he was when we got him 

For sure he has rounded into a solid 3rd liner. Correct me if I am wrong but over the past 5 games a 1 ppg rate. I particularly like his net front where he picks up rebounds and screens tenders. RT played Garland on the top 6 for a game and I will be curious to see whether he tries Joshua there. Odds are this does not happen but injuries also happen. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

For sure he has rounded into a solid 3rd liner. Correct me if I am wrong but over the past 5 games a 1 ppg rate. I particularly like his net front where he picks up rebounds and screens tenders. RT played Garland on the top 6 for a game and I will be curious to see whether he tries Joshua there. Odds are this does not happen but injuries also happen. 

Checked the stats, looks like he's had 27 minutes with Petey so not much to go by, but didn't look effective. But it's so few minutes I'm not sure you can read much into it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Joshua's played parts of four NHL seasons, despite this capfriendly has his career earnings sitting at  $1,580,491. Hard to gauge whether that's before or after taxes, I'd assume before. Dude will be 28 in May. 

Credit to him for capitalizing on his opportunities as a Canuck, but it may be in his best interest to secure the biggest bag he can. This next contract will likely be the biggest he'll ever be able to ask for. 

It'd be neat to see him back, but I'm hoping he chases the bag and sets himself up financially. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Joshua's played parts of four NHL seasons, despite this capfriendly has his career earnings sitting at  $1,580,491. Hard to gauge whether that's before or after taxes, I'd assume before. Dude will be 28 in May. 

Credit to him for capitalizing on his opportunities as a Canuck, but it may be in his best interest to secure the biggest bag he can. This next contract will likely be the biggest he'll ever be able to ask for. 

It'd be neat to see him back, but I'm hoping he chases the bag and sets himself up financially. 

I am sure this club is very attractive to a lot of layers and he has really fit in well with this group but he needs to capitalize on free agency for him. I can see him leaving and being paid over $ 3 million per on a multi year deal.

Vancouver should focus its efforts on bringing back Blueger, I think he returns and a couple youngsters will push for spots by leaving UFAs. Podkolzin?.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I am sure this club is very attractive to a lot of layers and he has really fit in well with this group but he needs to capitalize on free agency for him. I can see him leaving and being paid over $ 3 million per on a multi year deal.

Vancouver should focus its efforts on bringing back Blueger, I think he returns and a couple youngsters will push for spots by leaving UFAs. Podkolzin?.

I wouldn't even be a little upset if he did, careers can be brief for third and fourth line guys

33 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

So.. does Joshua give up #81 when we sign Kessel?

I'd imagine so, it's a common practice to give up your number to an incoming vet

That being said, Kessel did wear 8 in Vegas due to Marchessault's already using it

Could very easily see him opting for 8 again

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I'd imagine so, it's a common practice to give up your number to an incoming vet

That being said, Kessel did wear 8 in Vegas due to Marchessault's already using it

Could very easily see him opting for 8 again

My guess is he'll wear 83 as 8, 18, 81, and 88 are taken. We'll see!

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JR will extend Dak to a contract that pays Dak 10 mil. Do it will be 2x5 years. JR is a genius at keeping the key pieces to winning, unlike the MORAN who preceded him. 

That would be an incredible contract, though probably not wise of Joshua. The long-term security would be nice, but he can make more money than that.

52 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JR will extend Dak to a contract that pays Dak 10 mil. Do it will be 2x5 years. JR is a genius at keeping the key pieces to winning, unlike the MORAN who preceded him. 

haha...that is a HUGE bustaroo of a prediction. The biggest worst, most pathetic out of this world bustaroo prediction in the history of bustaroos.

Some insane GM will pay Dakota Joshua double that at least.

The moment the old man JR even says this out loud, Joshua checks him through the wall into the next room.

Edited by Mac