Dakota Joshua | #81 | C/W

-AJ-

I really didn't understand the signing two summers ago by Allvin as I thought he was signed to add toughness (as in fighting) which from what I saw, he wasn't a fighter.  Just a big guy that dropped them on occasion.  His first season didn't change my mind but I don't know what Tocchet has done to him but Joshua is now noticeable almost every shift.  He forechecks and gives opposing D trouble, he hits and opposing players know that so rush their pass, he has a good stick so knocks pucks off sticks, penalty kills...pleasantly surprised.  Unfortunately, I don't think they have the payroll to sign him as I expect something in $3M+.

Also quite odd he was injured when he had 13G + 13A, wonder if he is superstitious.

On 3/29/2024 at 4:41 PM, GuyLafleur10 said:

Unfortunately, I don't think they have the payroll to sign him as I expect something in $3M+.

After years of trying to find a bottom guy who could produce, forecheck effectively, hit and yet have some offensive production......he's a guy we want to keep.  He brings energy and gives us an additional line that's relevant.  He's 27 so he fits right in age wise.  

I got thinking a day or two ago....Joshua looks really comfortable out there, meaning that this year may not be the flash in the pan year.  He's come back from injury hitting and scoring as well.  Is it possible that he hasn't peaked yet?  If his basement is the third line, is his ceiling the first line with JT and Boeser? 

One other thought.....if it were not for the FO%, would you rather have Lindholm or Joshua next year given their respective salary demands?

If Joshua wants $3M/yr x 4 years, I'd take it.....and I have said that before he scored 2 goals today.

• Cheers 1

Not gonna lie, I'm starting to wonder if Joshua might actually be worth the money he'll ask. It's worth noting that he's shooting at about 20%, which is very high and unlikely to continue long term. That said, his career average is already extremely high at over 16%, so he probably just picks good times to shoot.

I'm not sure what the market rate is on him. He'll be 28 at the end of the year and is scoring at about a 0.5 point per game pace, which is probably a good third line level. I think $3M is easily justified and maybe $3.5M. Could we justify it if he commanded $4M? I don't expect his deal to be any longer than 4 years, as is often the case for bottom six players.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Not gonna lie, I'm starting to wonder if Joshua might actually be worth the money he'll ask. It's worth noting that he's shooting at about 20%, which is very high and unlikely to continue long term. That said, his career average is already extremely high at over 16%, so he probably just picks good times to shoot.

I'm not sure what the market rate is on him. He'll be 28 at the end of the year and is scoring at about a 0.5 point per game pace, which is probably a good third line level. I think $3M is easily justified and maybe $3.5M. Could we justify it if he commanded $4M. I don't expect his deal to be any longer than 4 years, as is often the case for bottom six players.

IMO; It's not just the scoring but the sandpaper he provides to any line he is on that makes him a valuable commodity.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

IMO; It's not just the scoring but the sandpaper he provides to any line he is on that makes him a valuable commodity.

Yeah what he provides on the team isn't limited to the score sheet.  Canucks have to find a way to get him re-signed to a reasonable deal.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Hoping it's close to the $3M mark. If what he wants starts pushing $4M we might have to find a way to move Garland to keep Joshua.

Move Mikheyev before Garland, I don’t get why so many want to move one of our better contracts and lineup fits so bad 😂

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Move Mikheyev before Garland, I don’t get why so many want to move one of our better contracts and lineup fits so bad 😂

Garland sure has improved his stock this year, that’s for sure. Could he and Joshua be the wingers for Petey next season? 

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Have to agree. Garland has the same potential offensive output as Mikheyev, is 1.5 years younger, and only costs 200k more. Mikheyev has a L-NTC though, so it's a bit tougher to trade him.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Garland sure has improved his stock this year, that’s for sure. Could he and Joshua be the wingers for Petey next season? 

I really like the Joshua, Suter, Garland line too irritating to play against and producing on top of that. All 3 players very versatile too 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I really like the Joshua, Suter, Garland line too irritating to play against and producing on top of that. All 3 players very versatile too 

If we could get Joshua extended then we’d have all three of those guys back for next season. It’s nice to have that kind of depth. If our big boys play evens with the other clubs’ equals then it’s guys like those three who are key to winning. 

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Funnily enough, this is Garland's worst offensive year yet. I think perspective has changed a lot. He's expected to be a 3rd liner this year and performing admirably in that role. When he was supposed to be a 2nd liner, we were all frustrated that he couldn't score 55+ points, but now as a 3rd liner, we're okay with 40-45 points.

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Funnily enough, this is Garland's worst offensive year yet. I think perspective has changed a lot. He's expected to be a 3rd liner this year and performing admirably in that role. When he was supposed to be a 2nd liner, we were all frustrated that he couldn't score 55+ points, but now as a 3rd liner, we're okay with 40-45 points.

Pretty good though considering his lack of pp time. If he could pk then he’d be super valuable. Not too sure why he’s not good at pk? He’s very smart and tough as nails. Joshua is a solid pk guy. That will add to his value.,

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Now that he's convinced Tocc that he can be beneficial on the PP, his point total will increase.  He

is an inspiration for the other players; he plays hockey 'the right way' despite his small stature.

he has been fantastic over a small sample size but...

he is big

he hits

he PKs

and now on PP

Toch loves him

who wouldnt ?

hes gonna get 4 million AAV x 5  years 

he then might get out of shape and lose motivation...like he did this offseason....

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Of course I'd rather move Mikheyev, but Garland is likely much easier to move.

22 hours ago, Western Red said:

We should do with Dak what Vegas did with Tuch. Give him term at 4m per. Been saying it for a couple months.

I don't think he has the ceiling of a Tuch.  I'm thinking more along the lines of Nic Roy or Nick Paul.