Dakota Joshua | #81 | C/W

-AJ-

18 hours ago, -AJ- said:

That would be an incredible contract, though probably not wise of Joshua. The long-term security would be nice, but he can make more money than that.

Yeah, he's probs more in the 2.5-3.25M range. Probably the higher end via UFA. 

Maybe this is controversial but I am now thinking that priority for signings are:

Petey

Joshua

Hronek

And probably Joshua before Petey if a deal is there first.

With Juulson fitting in on D,  Soucy on the mend, and coming up in the pipeline Petey2, Willander, Kudryavtsev.

I just think the role that Joshua fills is very difficult to fill. Yes we need top D.  We have a few very good D, but we don't have any other player that can fulfill the role of Joshua. He's like our Byfuglien-lite.  And maybe will resemble that player even more in the next years.  I think its imperative we lock him up as soon as possible. before the season ends.  Make room somewhere else.

What I'm saying is if they do what I'm hoping, and sign Joshua before Hronek, even Petey, and we end up losing Hronek because of that?  I'm okay with that. I think Joshua fills a need on this team that is sorely lacking.  And harder to replace than first glance.

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

Maybe this is controversial but I am now thinking that priority for signings are:

Petey

Joshua

Hronek

With Juulson fitting in on D,  Soucy on the mend, and coming up in the pipeline Petey2, Willander, Kudryavtsev.

I just think the role that Joshua fills is very difficult to fill. Yes we need top D.  We have a few very good D, but we don't have any other player that can fulfill the role of Joshua. He's like our Byfuglien-lite.  And maybe will resemble that player even more in the next years.  I think its imperative we lock him up as soon as possible. before the season ends.  Make room somewhere else.

What I'm saying is if they do what I'm hoping, and sign Joshua before Hronek, even Petey, and we end up losing Hronek because of that?  I'm okay with that. I think Joshua fills a need on this team that is sorely lacking.  And harder to replace than first glance.

I wouldn't be happy with that.  Top pair RHD is arguably the most difficult position to fill for any roster across the league.  There's a strong argument that Hronek is actually the priority among all the guys we need to re-sign.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

I wouldn't be happy with that.  Top pair RHD is arguably the most difficult position to fill for any roster across the league.  There's a strong argument that Hronek is actually the priority among all the guys we need to re-sign.

Hronek will also be twice the cap hit as Dakota, and the cap savings could be used with Tanev.  but still I’d rather sign both of them. All three including Petey should be top priority if we actually want to sustain our new position in the league. Hopefully JR/PA can pull off some more magic and figure it out

18 hours ago, kilgore said:

Petey

Joshua

Hronek

Petey

Hronek

Lindholm

Joshua

Zadorov

We have to sign the star players first.  We aren't going anywhere without our top players.  Then we need the big tough players who play a specific role.  Joshua and Zadorov are our biggest and toughest players.  Without them we'd be the smurfs out there.

I wouldn't even care if we didn't re-sign anyone else.  We can replace everyone else through free agency...

Total cost for those 5 players is approx. $33 million.  We have $40 million in cap space in the summer so that leaves $7 million to sign 6 more guys...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, kilgore said:

Hronek will also be twice the cap hit as Dakota, and the cap savings could be used with Tanev.  but still I’d rather sign both of them. All three including Petey should be top priority if we actually want to sustain our new position in the league. Hopefully JR/PA can pull off some more magic and figure it out

Hronek is almost 10 full years younger than Tanev like what? Hronek hasn't even entered his prime, Tanev is way past his best before date. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Hronek is almost 10 full years younger than Tanev like what? Hronek hasn't even entered his prime, Tanev is way past his best before date. 

Yeah, I'm a huge Tanev fan, but not only is he definitely worse than Hronek, he's also substantially older. He'd be a major downgrade.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey

Hronek

Lindholm

Joshua

Zadorov

We have to sign the star players first.  We aren't going anywhere without our top players.  Then we need the big tough players who play a specific role.  Joshua and Zadorov are our biggest and toughest players.  Without them we'd be the smurfs out there.

I wouldn't even care if we didn't re-sign anyone else.  We can replace everyone else through free agency...

Total cost for those 5 players is approx. $33 million.  We have $40 million in cap space in the summer so that leaves $7 million to sign 6 more guys...

They would probably also like to sign Blueger, and Lafferty as well as Dakota.  In a perfect world, we'd have enough cap to sign all of the above.  But I just can't see it. Especially with the OEL penatly.

So who's leaving?

I just think that any perennial playoff team not only needs a solid deep defence, and scoring, and goaltending, but a big physical forward who can dominate like a Buff.  I'm not saying Joshua is equal to prime Buff, he's not as large as that monster obviously, but he does have size, is second right now in the league with hits.  Plus scores, and has great hands. You can't just replace a player like that as easily as some think. Just ask Winnipeg. And I think Joshua has the potential to be that or at least a close imitation.

Tocchet has talked about a jigsaw puzzle in forming a roster.  A player like Joshua, at his age, just coming into his own is imperative for a playoff team IMO.  And he is the only one we have.  We have thankfully created depth in other positions, but he is the only one fulfilling a very particular role on the team.  i can see him getting even more confident and valuable, just like Buff raised his price as he became more impactful. 

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, I'm a huge Tanev fan, but not only is he definitely worse than Hronek, he's also substantially older. He'd be a major downgrade.

Agreed.!!!

Don't dislike Tanev but I too see him as a major downgrade given is age, his lack of scoring and his proclivity for long term injuries, when compared to Hronek.

Also, I am of the opinion that once a player turns his back on an organization, such as Tanev did when he left us as a Free Agent ( I know....the Clowns Jimbo and Weisbro "ran out of time because they were chasing a failed OEL trade") that he is not welcome back, except maybe in rare circumstances.

Keeping Hronek is also not a hill that I would die on either.

If his demands are out of whack with our cap availability, especially given the poison pill that Benning left us (OEL), I would look to move him on.

After this year, in my opinion, the Canucks would get back more than they paid for him.

I would have the same sentiment for any of our Restricted Free Agents, including Pettersson.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Yes, I'd agree its a downgrade.  But somewhere in the roster we will have a downgrade that needs replacing with a cheaper option.  Unless another miracle by JR. 

So its just a matter of where.  Acquiring Tavev, which might be moot anyways, would not be as long of a solution just based on age. But it would buy time through the two worst years of the OEL penalty.  By then, hopefully,  Petey2, and Willander will be ready to step up.  With Soucy mending, and Juulsen looking like a keeper, While they are rightly stocking up on D, like we've never seen in years here, Joshua's role is only filled by him.  And I just don't see it being as easy to replace that kind of package as others seem to I guess.  He's a piece of the puzzle, and I think we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with how far he can go. Lock him up now while he's somewhat affordable. While no amount of NHL calibre D is enough, at some point one has to also make sure other role players are taken care of.   I'd rather have a Tavev replacement for two years if it means Joshua stays. My opinion.

36 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Yes, I'd agree its a downgrade.  But somewhere in the roster we will have a downgrade that needs replacing with a cheaper option.  Unless another miracle by JR. 

So its just a matter of where.  Acquiring Tavev, which might be moot anyways, would not be as long of a solution just based on age. But it would buy time through the two worst years of the OEL penalty.  By then, hopefully,  Petey2, and Willander will be ready to step up.  With Soucy mending, and Juulsen looking like a keeper, While they are rightly stocking up on D, like we've never seen in years here, Joshua's role is only filled by him.  And I just don't see it being as easy to replace that kind of package as others seem to I guess.  He's a piece of the puzzle, and I think we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with how far he can go. Lock him up now while he's somewhat affordable. While no amount of NHL calibre D is enough, at some point one has to also make sure other role players are taken care of.   I'd rather have a Tavev replacement for two years if it means Joshua stays. My opinion.

Fair point, we do have to downgrade somewhere. I personally don't like the idea of downgrading at D, especially RD, and would rather downgrade somewhere else. I can appreciate the idea of a Tanev as just a stopgap though until other guys are ready, though that said, I think it could be risky hoping that Willander or D Petey are good enough to be a 1RDs. It's very possible, but we'd be fortunate if they're that good. Losing Hronek for Tanev likely means we're a far worse team next year, though perhaps one could argue that to be inevitable no matter how we choose to downgrade, given that it almost has to happen. I'd contend that losing Hronek would hurt worse than losing lower-end defensemen or bottom six depth.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If Joshua's out longer-term it may impact what he can ask for 

This may end up both hurting and helping the Canucks 

Not only that, but it could lead to ice time for Bains--though if last night was anything to read into, Aman is more likely just to take the minutes.

Aman is good and still fairly young, but I'm not sure I see much more than a 13th forward in him.

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Not only that, but it could lead to ice time for Bains--though if last night was anything to read into, Aman is more likely just to take the minutes.

Aman is good and still fairly young, but I'm not sure I see much more than a 13th forward in him.

Aman is a cost-controlled bottom six utility player who you can plug in and expect not to hurt you too much, kind of like Biega was on D for us 

I wouldn't really expect more than that from him 

On 2/14/2024 at 4:21 PM, -AJ- said:

That would be an incredible contract, though probably not wise of Joshua. The long-term security would be nice, but he can make more money than that.

Getting a 10m deal based off 1 season playing with a driver like Garland would be a home run for Dak. He was barely in the league at 25. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Western Red said:

Joshua is in the 4x4m realm as a UFA is he not?

I hope he stays in Van for 4x3.5m.

Cole Smith just signed 1m x 2 Cole Smith is a very good player. Put him on our 3rd and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him flourish like Dak is. If he's offered 10m 2.5x4 from the team that built him up he would be wise to take it. wasn't that long ago he was in the echl.  

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Cole Smith just signed 1m x 2 Cole Smith is a very good player. Put him on our 3rd and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him flourish like Dak is. If he's offered 10m 2.5x4 from the team that built him up he would be wise to take it. wasn't that long ago he was in the echl.  

Yeah. I'm happy for Joshua. He deserves what he's going to get in the open market, unfortunately, that probably won't be with the Canucks. Nothing personal, it's business. I can't see management being upset with him taking more money and term elsewhere, and I can't see fans blaming him for doing that either. I hope he stays, but I wouldn't be upset if he left either. Management will find the right player to replace Dak. 

Dakota is proving to be a vital piece of this new team and its identity. Much like Miller, Zadorov, Juulsen, Hoglander, Blueger, Garland, and a few others, Joshua makes this team legitimately hard to play against, which was a motto that the team used before, but didn't really ring true.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...