Dakota Joshua | #81 | C/W

-AJ-

Fun fact, Joshua has been a Canuck for almost double the games he was a Blue despite having only one year in Vancouver and two in St. Louis.

Also glad we signed him to two years, because there's no way we could have him for $850k after last year if he was a UFA.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's obviously in the middle of a hot streak, but Joshua is currently on pace for 19 goals, 13 assists, 32 points if he were to play all 82 games (which he can't since he was scratched once).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It's obviously in the middle of a hot streak, but Joshua is currently on pace for 19 goals, 13 assists, 32 points if he were to play all 82 games (which he can't since he was scratched once).

And aside from the points he has looked amazing defensively too. That one PK in the third he chewed up a good 25 seconds by bringing the puck into the Blackhawks zone and just pinning it along the boards while all the players dug at him to get it away. He made several nice defensive plays and love how he bulls his way to the net. Looks like Toc is getting through to him!

10 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

And aside from the points he has looked amazing defensively too. That one PK in the third he chewed up a good 25 seconds by bringing the puck into the Blackhawks zone and just pinning it along the boards while all the players dug at him to get it away. He made several nice defensive plays and love how he bulls his way to the net. Looks like Toc is getting through to him!

Joshua's growth is a huge part of the Canuck success this season.  IMO RT and PA should get a lot of credit for his acquisition and guiding his development. Toc used some tough love that has paid off. With the current success we can see continued growth in Joshua's game.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Joshua's growth is a huge part of the Canuck success this season.  IMO RT and PA should get a lot of credit for his acquisition and guiding his development. Toc used some tough love that has paid off. With the current success we can see continued growth in Joshua's game.  

I honestly was happy where was at, solid 4th line winger who can play some pinch center if needed.

He’s now solidified himself as a 3rd line winger, can still do well at faceoffs when called upon. 

And now with the way he’s playing I wonder if there is one more final level to him. I don’t think he will turn into a top 6 star but a guy you can play in your top 6 and he can help solidify a line.

I don’t dare mess with a good line combo right now. But if the 3rd line cools off he’d have my vote to try on Peteys wing. Why not. Lafferty has been ok but I think that line still needs a bigger presence. 

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Joshua will be looking to get paid in the summer.  The way he is going he might get $3 million on the open market.  

I don't know how PA will keep this line together as both Joshua and Bleuger are UFA's. If it comes down to money which one do you keep? For me it it is Joshua. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Joshua will be looking to get paid in the summer.  The way he is going he might get $3 million on the open market.  

Yeah, we have a ton of guys who will likely be looking for raises, so it'll be hard to keep this team together next year. Joshua and Lafferty could both command well north of $2M on their next deal.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I don't know how PA will keep this line together as both Joshua and Bleuger are UFA's. If it comes down to money which one do you keep? For me it it is Joshua. 

I keep Joshua easy. Suter can play centre on this line. He was fine there until he was injured. I think it’s more Joshua and Garland driving the line. 

Aman and Raty can fight for the 4C spot. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think J has to continue with the way he's playing and show up for the playoffs before he gets

that kind of $.  It will be interesting to see what PA's priorities are at the end of the season, as

the salary cap will make the choices very difficult.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 12/22/2023 at 7:59 AM, -AJ- said:

Yeah, we have a ton of guys who will likely be looking for raises, so it'll be hard to keep this team together next year. Joshua and Lafferty could both command well north of $2M on their next deal.

I'm not convinced that those guys would receive huge raises. This is the first time Joshua has produced this way, and Lafferty's offense has been a surprise, but he's also played with Petey. Lafferty might get 2M max, but nothing more than that, no way. 

On 12/22/2023 at 10:03 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

I keep Joshua easy. Suter can play centre on this line. He was fine there until he was injured. I think it’s more Joshua and Garland driving the line. 

Aman and Raty can fight for the 4C spot. 

I think Räty needs more time in Abby. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

I'm not convinced that those guys would receive huge raises. This is the first time Joshua has produced this way, and Lafferty's offense has been a surprise, but he's also played with Petey. Lafferty might get 2M max, but nothing more than that, no way. 

Lafferty, you might be right, though Joshua already took a solid step last year. He's maybe the one pushing for closer to $3M. He's a UFA too, so he could get more on the open market maybe.

12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Lafferty, you might be right, though Joshua already took a solid step last year. He's maybe the one pushing for closer to $3M. He's a UFA too, so he could get more on the open market maybe.

3M for a bottom six guy is too much. I remember Motte asking for what was it, 2.5M, and that was too much for a fourth line player. Those guys shouldn't be making that much money and taking up so much space of the cap. Joshua does bring an element to the team, that they don't nearly have enough of. If Allvin loses him to free agency, they'll need to replace him. Plus, Garland and Joshua have tremendous chemistry. There's a good chance that if Joshua leaves, he may not replicate or have the same kind of success he has elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

3M for a bottom six guy is too much. I remember Motte asking for what was it, 2.5M, and that was too much for a fourth line player. Those guys shouldn't be making that much money and taking up so much space of the cap. Joshua does bring an element to the team, that they don't nearly have enough of. If Allvin loses him to free agency, they'll need to replace him. Plus, Garland and Joshua have tremendous chemistry. There's a good chance that if Joshua leaves, he may not replicate or have the same kind of success he has elsewhere. 

I think in today's cap world, $3M for a good third liner is probably the market rate. Nicholas Roy of Vegas just signed for $3M per year back in Aug 2022 on a five-year deal.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Joshua is on pace for 23 goals.  He’s easily getting $3 million on the open market as a big physical winger who can score, fight and hit…

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Joshua is on pace for 23 goals.  He’s easily getting $3 million on the open market as a big physical winger who can score, fight and hit…

For sure. All our speculation has a playoff component. If the Canucks do well all their pieces go up in price. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think in today's cap world, $3M for a good third liner is probably the market rate. Nicholas Roy of Vegas just signed for $3M per year back in Aug 2022 on a five-year deal.

Not sure if Joshua is deserving of a 3M, 5 year deal. Might be willing to go 3-4 years, with 4 being the absolute max years. But 3 would be fine with me. 

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, that's true, and this is the first time he's done it. Will it be the last time he's doing it? 

I get cashing in on a career high, but if he's not scoring 20 again, is he worth the 3M that the Canucks could give him? The thing with this team is that they're so capped out, and with the OEL cap hit starting next year, we have even less cap to play with. Someone's gotta go no? Is it possible to fit all the UFA's that are playing so well - to bring them back to the team? Blueger i'd love back. He's been such a good defensive add to the team. Same with Lafferty and Joshua. Is it possible to bring all those guys back? And how much of a raise are they going to want? I can't see Teddy getting more than what he's getting now. Is he worth 2M for mulitple seasons? 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Not sure if Joshua is deserving of a 3M, 5 year deal. Might be willing to go 3-4 years, with 4 being the absolute max years. But 3 would be fine with me. 

Yeah five years would scare me a bit as well and $3M might be a little on the high side. If he scores 20 goals or gets 40 points, he's more likely to ask for that much, but if he cools off and just scores 30-35 points, maybe we can get him for less than $3M. Either way, it's one of many players who will probably want a raise, which is to be expected with such a great season.