Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Rubik

36 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Holy fuck Podz got bodyslammed like Petey was by Matheson in his rookie year. 

Stretcher out, he was convulsing or seizing on the ice. 

I was at the game. It was terrifying to watch it unfold. However, he lifted his arm as he went off and was responsive, so praying it looked a lot worse than it could have been. I was stunned they let the rest of the game play out after that. Everybody in the building was absolutely shaken. 

• Huggy Bear 2
  • Cheers 1

I am worried for Podz for sure, hearing about this over coffee this morning.

By happenstance, i was at a hockey game in Abbotsford in the early 80's when a kid went hard into the boards head first and was pronounced dead at the hospital after a horrifying time watching medics stretcher him off the ice. I think that was more traumatic for me at the time than I realiized because now when i see a stretcher on the ice my gut turns inside out.

I understand Podz has been on social media from the hospital and he is going to recover. 

I worry though, because of taking so many bad hits (edited) in the KHL already for him, this won't help. 

Wishing him a full recovery to pain free status and hopefully the ability to get back on the ice soon.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I didn't know he's had a number of concussions before arriving in North America?

I should watch my language...a number of bad hits to the head, i can't confirm concussion diagnosis.

A couple other vids I have seen before of different games, but can't find them now with the FLOOD of last nights news now hitting the interwebs.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I should watch my language...a number of bad hits to the head, i can't confirm concussion diagnosis.

A couple other vids I have seen before of different games, but can't find them now with the FLOOD of last nights news now hitting the interwebs.

Well though unwanted info... It's important to be aware of his history.  It's the way he plays... And wouldn't blame him if he became more cautious... As I'm sure his wife is asking for.  However... Nature of the beast hey?  It's what makes him effective and special... Reckless abandon puck pursuit and net drive is an elite quality of his.

I just hope he has a full recovery.  The rest will iron itself out.  

Thanks for doing some digging there.👍

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

This is honestly the best news. After what looks like an absolutely crushing blow. So happy to hear he was out of the hospital and able to be out and about. Fingers crossed he doesn’t have any symptoms that start over the next few days and maybe he will be spared from any significant set backs. 

Seems like Podkolzin may or may not have a concussion.  And that seems to be the only worry, it doesn't look like he has any other injuries to his body.  This is great news.  If the concussion was bad he probably would be at home in bed, so the fact that he is walking around is good news.

Not sure what happened with the convulsions as I didn't see it myself and only relied on what others were saying.  Could have been just a bodily reaction to the head hitting the ice.  I'm sure the doctors have thoroughly checked him out for that...

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Seems like Podkolzin may or may not have a concussion.  And that seems to be the only worry, it doesn't look like he has any other injuries to his body.  This is great news.  If the concussion was bad he probably would be at home in bed, so the fact that he is walking around is good news.

Not sure what happened with the convulsions as I didn't see it myself and only relied on what others were saying.  Could have been just a bodily reaction to the head hitting the ice.  I'm sure the doctors have thoroughly checked him out for that...

Strong impacts to the head can result in convulsions, especially towards the rear part of the brain where all the motor control parts are. Typically if there are convulsions or seizure type movements, it's a pretty significant TBI. The hit on the Ottawa player Brannstrom yesterday was kind of similar too.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Get a quick pupil check, and watch out for DLOC.

As far as I'm concerned Podz was in the RTC- get him to a hospital fast.

ICP (Inter Cranial Pressure)- basically the brain bleeds and the blood has nowhere to go, so it begins to push the brain down the spinal column. Bad news as the area of the brain that controls breathing is at the back- and is the first part to get squeezed into uselessness.

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Im not an expert but it is possible with the way he hit the ice, the wind was completely knocked out of his lungs and the convulsions could be his body desperately searching for air as a response. I had this happen to me when I was hit by a car whilst riding my bike, I landed heavy on the road and the wind was forced out in the collision with the road (fortunately my head did not contact the road) but I had spasms as my lungs were empty of air. As i said im no expert, just a possibility?

• Cheers 1

On 10/26/2023 at 12:36 PM, DeNiro said:

Maybe someone with better knowledge can answer this but do concussions cause seizures or can you have one and not necessarily have been concussed?

I am not a doctor but I just checked this out. Here is a reference: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9519401/

The bottom is line is that a head injury caused by a blow to the head may cause a concussion (of course) and it may cause convulsions. For head injuries in sport that cause concussions, about 1 time 70 (so a bit more than 1% of the time), convulsions also occur. Convulsions may occur right away or they may occur later.

It is rare for convulsions to occur without a concussion, but it is possible.

From the video I saw (the AHL TV broadcast) he certainly looked like he was convulsing. 

Given that he has apparently had previous head injuries, I would expect the Canucks to be very cautious in this case.

Edited by JamesB
  • Thanks 2

On 10/26/2023 at 12:36 PM, DeNiro said:

Maybe someone with better knowledge can answer this but do concussions cause seizures or can you have one and not necessarily have been concussed?

Yes. TBI's (traumatic brain injuries) can cause seizures. A concussion is caused by the brain being bashed up against the shell of your skull. This causes the neurons in your brain to fire. This over reaction of the neurotransmitters is what can cause a seizure. These types of seizures can happen immediately after the TBI or up to a couple weeks post injury.

On 10/27/2023 at 5:55 PM, Canuckpuckluck1 said:

Im not an expert but it is possible with the way he hit the ice, the wind was completely knocked out of his lungs and the convulsions could be his body desperately searching for air as a response. I had this happen to me when I was hit by a car whilst riding my bike, I landed heavy on the road and the wind was forced out in the collision with the road (fortunately my head did not contact the road) but I had spasms as my lungs were empty of air. As i said im no expert, just a possibility?

Nah, this isn't how TBI's interact. When the body fights for hair it's more of one sharp inhale to try to clear the blockage out of the windpipe, not a series of convulsions. This would actually likely further lodge whatever is stopping the air if it's something in your windpipe or even your tongue.

Chest blows can cause shortness of breath though for sure. That's a completely different mechanism though 

10 hours ago, JamesB said:

I am not a doctor but I just checked this out. Here is a reference: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9519401/

The bottom is line is that a head injury caused by a blow to the head may cause a concussion (of course) and it may cause convulsions. For head injuries in sport that cause concussions, about 1 time 70 (so a bit more than 1%) of the time, convulsions also occur. Convulsions may occur right away or they may occur later.

It is rate for concussions to occur without a concussion, but it is possible.

From the video I saw (the AHL TV broadcast) he certainly looked like he was convulsing. 

Given that he has apparently had previous head injuries, I would expect the Canucks to be very cautious in this case.

Just saw this is I was replying. Yes this is all generally correct.

• Thanks 1