Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Rubik

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Why not. Create more drama and tough decisions.  Push some of the guys on the Vancouver Canucks

to push as hard as they can, cause if they don't, there maybe a Podkolzin ready..

Horvat or podz there?

good start for so many guys this season stoked as hell on the vibes this year 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

SEE THAT!!!! 

Sweeet muther of gaud!!!

That's what the doctor ordered.  Timed it perfectly!!!!  Drove to the net like a bull!!!  Yah man, Podz is in his way!!!  The game changer!!!

I love the way he just dipped his shoulder and muscled the defenceman out of the way, then drove the puck in the net. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

If only he drove the net at the NHL level

He did in his rookie season.  His second season was lost in being part of a team in chaos.

Look at his highlight videos during his KHL years.  He scored a lot of similar goals and that's why

he was selected so high in the draft.  His nickname was 'the bull'.

Very encouraging to see him looking so confident again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

NHL D men might have something to say about that.

Easier said than done.

This is true... It will be harder obviously.  To me it's all about his self confidence.  At this point, I'd be very surprised if he ever becomes a high point getter.  I do believe that at the NHL level, he'll be a annual 50 point kinda guy.  Mostly on 3rd line... If he finds chemistry with centers on top two lines, then I can see him up there.  Otherwise his skill level, will probably never warrant top 6 consideration.

It's not a matter of if he'll make it... It's a matter of when and if it's with the canucks. 

However, why I get so excited about him, is, I can see the greatness in him.  I believe he is a player that has the make up, where he can really seize a moment, when it matters most, and make the difference in that moment.  Not to many players have that 'it' quality.  I believe he's got that 'it', he just has to mature enough to own it.  He's getting closer....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AK-19 said:

....no Klimovich? Is he hurt or healthy scratched? Even if hypothetically he isn't as good as Wouters or Gatcomb I'd still want to see him in the lineup before those guys. 

Isn't Wouters the Captain? Would be questionable to bench your Cap. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Podz has always been fearless around the net.  He often looks like Bo scoring off the rush or simply

utilizes his quick and powerful release to score goals.  Great worker along the boards and difficult

to knock him off the puck.

He'll be back...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Canucks: Vasily Podkolzin finding his groove again in the AHL

Pattick Johnston

Hockey players tend to be creatures of habit.

You get up at a certain time, you arrive at the rink at a certain time, you spend so much time on the ice and in the gym.

You eat your meals at a certain time. You take a pre-game nap at a certain time.

When you’re a young hockey player, life is straightforward and organized.

Newborn babies don’t care about this routine. And any new parent quickly finds this out — like Vasily Podkolzin and his wife Sasha, who welcomed their daughter Alisa to the world this summer.

Alisa is 3½ months old and her parents have got used to her routine, Podkolzin said Wednesday morning.

“On my day off, I like to change diapers, or something like that,” he said with a laugh. He says he’s found his way to his role as a dad as well.

“My wife is doing a great job. I’m not really worried about anything … When you have a day off, it’s all about your family and your daughter. In that time, I feel happy. I’m a happy young dad.”

One thing you discover as a new parent is how much time you were wasting before the baby was born. But once the tiny being arrives, spare time becomes a thing of the past. Your daily schedule fills up fast.

And there’s a relatability from learning how your day flows as a parent to how you organize your life as a hockey player.

“That’s part of being a pro: we all have lives. And you need to be present for the people in your life. And you also need to prepare so you can be an elite performer. That’s part of it. And that takes time,” said coach Jeremy Colliton, who’s a father of three.

“It takes time for young guys who don’t have families. That is still a challenge for them, like how can they balance what they want to do in their life with what they need to?”

Which brings us to Tuesday night, where Podkolzin scored a sensational overtime winner for the Abbotsford Canucks against the Colorado Eagles.

He collected the puck in the neutral zone, then paused to let Arshdeep Bains get back onside. In that moment he spotted a gap to attack, accelerated into the Colorado zone and powered past Eagles defenceman Jack Ahcan.

He then cut across the top of the Colorado crease, then backhanded the puck over Colorado goalie Justus Annunen.

It was a spectacular goal. It was also Podkolzin’s fifth goal in five games.

Podkolzin is finding his hockey confidence again.

“I didn’t play well last season,” he admitted. “But this time, it’s time to focus on hockey and just go and play and enjoy it.”

The AHL game is different. The pace isn’t quite as quick as the NHL. Plays tend to be more disjointed. But it also means he has the puck on his stick a lot more than in the NHL and that is where he and his coaches think he’ll rediscover his confidence — and recognize how much every touch of the puck matters, no matter how much ice time he’s getting.

“I feel confident right now. I have a lot of (puck) touches here. I make a lot of plays,” he said.

Colliton said that of the five games they’ve played so far, there have been two or three periods where Podkolzin has utterly dominated, winning puck battles all over, creating chances for his teams and also unleashing his hellacious shot.

The task in front of him as a coach and in front of Podkolzin as a player is to make that kind of dominance the young Russian’s standard mode, as opposed to flipping a switch on and off.

“It’s not something you do every once in a while. It’s who you are. And that will allow you to withstand the pressure and the schedule of the NHL and the high demands and the small margin for error,” Colliton said. “If it’s just something you do when you remember to do it, that won’t work. I needs to become part of your identity”…

pjohnston@postmedia.com

twitter.com/risingaction

link to rest of article:

https://apple.news/A34WTbuGmTrCaNpaBv_Tssw