Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Rubik

18 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Lots of fans have (justifiably) addressed their concerns about Podkolzin's struggles at training camp

lately and now he is joining Abby for the time being.  Here's an interesting article addressing Podz'

disappointing development and what may be the cause; as well as future projection.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/why-vasily-podkolzin-starting-the-season-with-the-ahl-canucks-is-the-best-thing-for-his-development/ar-AA1hm7Q5

He truly is a fan favourite and has a huge support base cheering for him.

He'll get it together. He did miss the final 10 games last year, with the wrist injury. 

15 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Lots of fans have (justifiably) addressed their concerns about Podkolzin's struggles at training camp

lately and now he is joining Abby for the time being.  Here's an interesting article addressing Podz'

disappointing development and what may be the cause; as well as future projection.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/why-vasily-podkolzin-starting-the-season-with-the-ahl-canucks-is-the-best-thing-for-his-development/ar-AA1hm7Q5

He truly is a fan favourite and has a huge support base cheering for him.

That's a great article!  Podz is in good hands now.  I am curtain that he will be a big impact player for this team... As early as mid season but if it happens next season, so be it.  He ain't no Virtanen, or Juolevi.  This guy has great character. 

So ultimately, if he's ready for the big team next season, when we're a step closer to competing for the cup.  He'll come in and be an impact top 9 forward on the end of his elc.  He'll be cheap to resign and that money would have gone to him if he popped this year, can go towards Petey and soon to be Hughes big pay raises.  

Is all a matter of timing and perspective.  I for one don't mind waiting for greatness... This kids got greatness in him.

• Cheers 1

When is Podkolzin considered a bust? 22 years old now and still can't come close to cracking the lineup. I'm all for patience, especially with powerforwards, but it just hurts when you see Boldy, Caufield and Newhook taken literally right after him. I don't mean to play the "what if" game but there's some 20-30 goal scorers there.

I think Podz needs to stop trying to hard and just play his game. I think he's afraid to make a mistake and is over thinking his game. My prediction is, he starts in Abbotsford and is back with the main team within 6 weeks.

Just needs to find his rhythm out there.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/cuts-vasily-podkolzin-ahl-abbotsford?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1696187048

'It's like chess. You have to think two steps before you make the play. Playing him 10 or 12 minutes (in the NHL) is not really beneficial with guys further ahead in the I.Q.' — Canucks head coach Rick Tocchet on Vasily Podkolzin.

Get the latest from Ben Kuzma straight to your inboxSign Up
Author of the article:
Ben Kuzma
Published Oct 01, 2023  •  Last updated 1 hour ago  •  4 minute read

alt text Canucks winger Vasily Podkolzin was looking to rebound from a rollercoaster sophomore NHL season. PHOTO BY BOB FRID /USA TODAY Sports files

The Moscow native is a new father and is also in the final year of his entry-level contract. The restricted free agent has not only looked leaner and quicker, but is also stronger.

However, all that hasn’t translated. The winger is still struggling to process the game at the NHL level. On Sunday, he was demoted to the AHL affiliate in Abbotsford, where he’ll get ample ice time.

That wasn’t the plan in Year 3 for the 10th overall selection in the 2019 draft.

Podkolzin went pointless in two pre-season NHL games and didn’t do anything to move the meter for head coach Rick Tocchet. Even with Ilya Mikheyev continuing to skate while rehabbing from February knee surgery, the left-side opportunities have been gobbled up so far by Anthony Beauvillier, Phil Di Giuseppe, Nils Hoglander and Nils Aman.

alt text Canucks winger Vasily Podkolzin struggled in the NHL pre-season to grasp a total NHL game. PHOTO BY RICHARD LAM /PNG

The message to Podkolzin was obvious.

“Just grasp the NHL level,” Tocchet said Sunday. “He checks all the boxes. What a great kid, but now it’s the reads and the hockey I.Q. that is very important in this development. Playing a lot (in the AHL) and being put in situations is going to help that growth in his mind — that’s what I really believe in — and as an organization we’re all aligned in this.”

It’s the hesitation in Podkolzin’s thought process that creates a level of angst in a hockey-mad market. Should he be further along in Year 3, or is that a lot to ask?

“He works so hard, but there are just things in his game with time and space and he doesn’t move his feet,” added Tocchet. “He doesn’t see the play. It’s like chess. You have to think two steps before you make the play. Playing him 10 or 12 minutes (in the NHL) is not really beneficial with guys further ahead in the I.Q.

“This (AHL) is the best way to get his reads up to NHL standard. He has some attributes to be a (roster) puzzle guy,  a north-south guy, and he can work on  his agility with straight-ahead power. But his work ethic is outstanding. And you can’t worry about being a 10th pick right now, just be an NHL player. Him marinating down there (Abbotsford) is the best thing for him.”

Podklozin, 22, is physically healed from a left wrist injury suffered during a board battle on March 25 in Dallas. It shut his season and kept him from playing in the AHL playoffs with Abbotsford.

He’s also mentally healed from enduring the dreaded sophomore slump. After scoring 14 goals in his rookie captain, he couldn’t buy a goal to start last season, registering just three assists through 16 games and six healthy scratches.

Article content

His assignment to the minors in Abbotsford on Nov. 29 was a major development. He took ownership of his poor play, and embraced the guidance of coach Jeremy Colliton and player development masters in Henrik and Daniel Sedin. His 18 points (7-11) in 28 games were a result of understanding players will face adversity and doing something about it.

He gained a confidence and earned an NHL recall.

“I had two ways to go. Give up or work,” recalled Podkolzin. “It was good for me to get some AHL games to remember who you are and start appreciating. It was being stronger on the puck and confidant and just focusing on yourself and not other things.

“It’s about working on your mentality. This is my third year here and I want to be useful for this team. I have to stay positive.”

Article content

How he handles his latest setback will be interesting.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

When is Podkolzin considered a bust? 22 years old now and still can't come close to cracking the lineup. I'm all for patience, especially with powerforwards, but it just hurts when you see Boldy, Caufield and Newhook taken literally right after him. I don't mean to play the "what if" game but there's some 20-30 goal scorers there.

Probably/ bust in terms of not being a star/solid top 6 forward but hopefully still NHLer just not at the same level as some of his peers. 

Hopefully a solid top 9 guy. He has the tools for that and it takes time to develop those types as well. He has the tools. 

51 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He has to believe in himself and stop HESITATING with the puck. The NHL is too fast to wait for a better opportunity, unless your Wayne Gretzky. Podz has great instincts so just bite that mouthguard and go.

You bet for most it’s don’t think just do as a way to cope with the speed of the game.  Has lots of ability just needs to find the way he needs to play.

On 10/3/2023 at 10:52 AM, Rip The Mesh said:

NO, old dudes, older then me,                           a bit.    

He can still make it. 

Would be proposterous to call him a bust now. If this year is terrible, we can maybe start to have that conversation, but even then, it's a bit early to call it. He's still very young.

• Upvote 3

What Podz has missed in his development is games.
When he should have been playing in all situations he was getting sat in the KHL. 
It will be good for him to play big important minutes in all situations in the AHL. 

He has the tools and seems very driven, hopefully the Sedins and Colliton can get the head caught up to his attributes. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, UncleBen said:

Let's not dismiss Podz so quickly like Valeri Nichkushkin was.Valeri had to figure it out as well after a poor start to his career.Look at him now

Agreed, something went down with him last playoffs but he is who I hope Podz can turn into. Hopefully he is continuing to learn english and will understand things better and can find his form. I would be fine having him spend all season in Abbotsford, they might have a solid season with hopes of a long post season...which Podkolzin could thrive having that experience and success/confidence boost

9 hours ago, BarneyKook said:

what does it translate to? 

Did I ask him on a date or something lol

Pretty much 🙂. Google just translated it verbatim as "let's go" without specifying where exactly you want to go. There's no direct verbatim translation of "Let's Go" to Russian. Comparable phrases in Russian would be "Давай!" (Google will translate it as "Give!" 🙂 ) or "Вперед!" (Google will translate it as "Forward!").

On 10/1/2023 at 12:43 PM, Hogs and Podz said:

That's a great article!  Podz is in good hands now.  I am curtain that he will be a big impact player for this team... As early as mid season but if it happens next season, so be it.  He ain't no Virtanen, or Juolevi.  This guy has great character. 

So ultimately, if he's ready for the big team next season, when we're a step closer to competing for the cup.  He'll come in and be an impact top 9 forward on the end of his elc.  He'll be cheap to resign and that money would have gone to him if he popped this year, can go towards Petey and soon to be Hughes big pay raises.  

Is all a matter of timing and perspective.  I for one don't mind waiting for greatness... This kids got greatness in him.

In my opinion, Podkolzin needs to stop worrying about pleasing people, and just start to enjoy the game again. Hockey, after all, is a game.

• Cheers 2

On 9/30/2023 at 11:17 AM, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I think Podz is a late-bloomer. In 4 years from now he'll be 26, and I cannot wait to see what his player profile will look like then! 

Agreed completely. He's just in his own head imo. 

He's been playing levels up since he was 17, giving him a consistent situation in Abby isn't the worst thing IMO. Let him develop his offensive game & then bring him back up when he's playing with confidence.

On 9/30/2023 at 11:19 AM, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

And let's cut it with the comparing Podkolzin to Virtanen crap. Podz is at least adored by his teammates, whereas Virt's teammates thought he was a sack of shit. 

Maybe others mentioned it too but I brought up the Virtanen 'comp' as a defense of Podz, not saying they are the same. Jake never took his career seriously yet was given chance after chance in the market b/c he was a local kid imo, whereas Podz the Russian - who actually works extremely hard & takes his career serious - is already starting to be written off despite being a more productive NHLer at the same age.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Agreed completely. He's just in his own head imo. 

He's been playing levels up since he was 17, giving him a consistent situation in Abby isn't the worst thing IMO. Let him develop his offensive game & then bring him back up when he's playing with confidence.

Maybe others mentioned it too but I brought up the Virtanen 'comp' as a defense of Podz, not saying they are the same. Jake never took his career seriously yet was given chance after chance in the market b/c he was a local kid imo, whereas Podz the Russian - who actually works extremely hard & takes his career serious - is already starting to be written off despite being a more productive NHLer at the same age.

He's definitely the non-Virtanen, for sure. Got it - but I'd call what you did a contrast, not a comparison. I apologize if that seems picky.

• Cheers 1