Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Rubik

2 minutes ago, Rubik said:

@-AJ- I hope you don't mind me creating some of the threads, just trying to help out a bit. I used your threads as a template.

No problem! I just like to make sure there's some good info on the players for other users. There's no strict format or rules.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

No problem! I just like to make sure there's some good info on the players for other users. There's no strict format or rules.

cool. let me know if I can help you out with anything else, If you have a list of threads you plan to create or whatever, i have some time for that rn

1 minute ago, Rubik said:

cool. let me know if I can help you out with anything else, If you have a list of threads you plan to create or whatever, i have some time for that rn

Mostly just all the existing players in Current Roster as well as Prospects/Farm Team. I figure we don't need to bother with players in the alumni section, since the value there is mostly just the history of the conversations.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Mostly just all the existing players in Current Roster as well as Prospects/Farm Team. I figure we don't need to bother with players in the alumni section, since the value there is mostly just the history of the conversations.

then just give me a list of names pls, so we don't duplicate threads and stuff 😃

I was just going through the names in the two sections and seeing if they already existed here on the CFF or not:

https://forum.canucks.com/forum/73-current-roster/

https://forum.canucks.com/forum/34-prospects-farm-team/

Some names get sort of mixed between current roster and prospects, so it's good to check both to see if they're already here.

It's not all that long ago, Podkolzin was turning into that power forward they thought he would be. 

I know he wasn't intimidated by the hard-nose play he was beginning to get in on, but I will say this;  When the Canucks acquired

Kuzmenko and Mikheev, his attitude changed. I thought. Hard to know what's running through someone's head, in particular, when they're a foreigner.

I hope he can get over whatever confidence problems he has been acquiring.      

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/halford-brough-morning/

Per Dhaliwal - min 11:30

- "1st round picks gets million of chances, Podkolzin is a well liked kid, everybody management, everybody,t he players, he is going to get a lot of rope from Tocchet".

The team is devoted to figure this out with Podz. Dhaliwal thinks he will go down to Abbotsford and have Colliton and the Sedins rebuild his game again.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

We are 2 games into the pre-season, everyone needs to relax, the first game everyone was bad yet Podz gets piled on. 

This market gave Jake Virtanen chance after chance because he was a 'local boy' despite coming into camp out of shape every year & not taking his career seriously.

Podz on the other-hand works his butt off 24/7, has been more productive than Virtanen at the same age (with less games/opportunities), yet everyone is ready to write him off.

He just turned 22 a few months ago & he's already a capable bottom 6 NHLer, let's have some patience here.

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

We are 2 games into the pre-season, everyone needs to relax, the first game everyone was bad yet Podz gets piled on. 

This market gave Jake Virtanen chance after chance because he was a 'local boy' despite coming into camp out of shape every year & not taking his career seriously.

Podz on the other-hand works his butt off 24/7, has been more productive than Virtanen at the same age (with less games/opportunities), yet everyone is ready to write him off.

He just turned 22 a few months ago & he's already a capable bottom 6 NHLer, let's have some patience here.

I really don't see it as "22 is early" but rather see it as "22 is late." Podkolzin hasn't lived up to his draft pedigree and the doors are closing. He's in his adult body and should be in his adult brain. I also don't see it as "the market gave" Jake a chance and rather see it as the organization gave him a chance against what was sensible. Vasili has yet to show that he's a capable bottom-6er also.

I definitely wish the best for Podz but he's not showing much and is well past his draft year.

I remember watching the draft with a Habs-fan friend of mine and saying that I would like either Podkolzin or Caufield for the Canucks. I was so close yet so far.

Podkolzin was on my do not draft list at #10 in 2019 (personally was really hoping Cozens would fall) almost solely based on not seeing the offensive potential for him to be ranked as high as he was.

That being said, I think he's had a great attitude and has shown willingness to work on his game. It certainly spoke highly of Podkolzin's character when Larionov named him captain of the U20 team. I still see Dustin Brown as his potential ceiling but even if he caps out at a defensively responsible and physical 3rd liner that isn't the worst thing for a 10th overall pick. I also think Tocchet is working on trying to get him to play a slightly different game and partially due to the language barrier it's causing Podkolzin to play a little more tentatively while he figures it out.

8 hours ago, 112 said:

I really don't see it as "22 is early" but rather see it as "22 is late." Podkolzin hasn't lived up to his draft pedigree and the doors are closing. He's in his adult body and should be in his adult brain. I also don't see it as "the market gave" Jake a chance and rather see it as the organization gave him a chance against what was sensible. Vasili has yet to show that he's a capable bottom-6er also.

I definitely wish the best for Podz but he's not showing much and is well past his draft year.

I remember watching the draft with a Habs-fan friend of mine and saying that I would like either Podkolzin or Caufield for the Canucks. I was so close yet so far.

I disagree completely, 22 isn't late at all. Hockey players are human beings - no human is in their adult brain at 22 y/o.

And I again disagree with the bolded, Vasili is definitely a capable bottom 6-er, he pays attention to detail & intentionally focuses on not cheating / devoting himself to the defensive game. Even against Seattle he has his moments in the D zone of flipping the puck on a dime to make sure it clears the D-zone, and winning his battle on the wall & getting the puck out. These are the defensive details Tocchet is looking for. His problem isn't defense or details, its having the confidence to apply himself offensively.

He's already in a mans body yes, but his confidence is very much that of an early 20 y/o, he may not be a top line player but he has plenty of upside to help a winning team. I think he'll be a bit of a late bloomer (reaching his prime at 24-25+ lets say) but with his work ethic he'll be a useful player. Giving up on him now would be a mistake imo.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Lots of fans have (justifiably) addressed their concerns about Podkolzin's struggles at training camp

lately and now he is joining Abby for the time being.  Here's an interesting article addressing Podz'

disappointing development and what may be the cause; as well as future projection.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/why-vasily-podkolzin-starting-the-season-with-the-ahl-canucks-is-the-best-thing-for-his-development/ar-AA1hm7Q5

He truly is a fan favourite and has a huge support base cheering for him.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1