[Proposal] Don't make any major trades

I think they have moved to a more aggressive stance and are looking for what they are always looking for, size and speed.

The rumours about Greenway are interesting.

I would leave the D alone at this point unless someone gives you a second pairing right D.

Adding a large fast winger to give some forecheck for EP would be great but this team has really come together so wouldn't mess with the chemistry too much.

I tend to agree. Why mess with a great thing? 40 games in, and I keep waiting for the wheels to fall off but this team looks to be a legit contender. I can count on one hand the number of genuinely poor games they’ve played. Otherwise, they are an incredibly consistent, high-scoring, strong-defending team with fantastic goaltending. Everyone is buying in, and the team chemistry looks amazing. Even Kuzy, I’m confident he’ll get his mojo back. Add some depth sure, but otherwise let this group roll and see where it goes. 

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I honestly don't see any significant holes in our roster, especially when healthy.

This is the most important thing. Canucks are good when healthy, they have to prepare for when guys like JT or Brock are out because of injury.

• Upvote 1

I keep seeing people say we need a 2C. I say no. If anything get a 2W to play with Petey if and when the lotto line gets split up again. This is not the year to go "all-in". The first time in a long time we have a good team, good farm team and prospects improving and developing. Lets see what we have in some of these prospects before we go out and add players we most likely will be unable to re-sign. No rentals please. I have faith in this management team which is not something I have been able to say for a loooong time. Lol!

• Cheers 1

Just now, RichterBelmont said:

I keep seeing people say we need a 2C. I say no. If anything get a 2W to play with Petey if and when the lotto line gets split up again. This is not the year to go "all-in". The first time in a long time we have a good team, good farm team and prospects improving and developing. Lets see what we have in some of these prospects before we go out and add players we most likely will be unable to re-sign. No rentals please. I have faith in this management team which is not something I have been able to say for a loooong time. Lol!

I think they are looking at this year and next season as a 2 year window until the OEL penalty bumps up and we will be forced to depend on Lekk/Willander/EP2.0 for cost controlled fillers in those 2 years.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see them make an aggressive move again this season but really hope they don't, Podz is progressing nicely and is exactly the type of player we need to target.

• Cheers 1

Agreed.

I feel like our window is just beginning to open and next year is when we'll start to have a legitimate shot at the cup.

Would hate to sell the farm early and then look like post-bubble Canucks again in a year (I'm exaggerating reality, but that big up, big down seems like a possibility again if they pressure things too hard for this year).

The only players I would like to see are 

Elias Lindholm for second line center or

Alex Tuch to play with Petey

Kuzmenko would be a piece in either of those trades to even out cap

Aside from that. The d is looking good. 

but if the team stays as is, they are proving that its working.

Regardless of how they have played so far there is still room for improvement. I would say we are good at D and Goalie. Our bottom 6 forwards are good too. If there is one area we lack in it’s the top 6.

Miller, Petey, and Boeser are the only 3 true top 6 forwards we have. Mikheyev is ok but not great. Kuzmenko has clearly been too streaky. We should look at adding another top 6 calibre winger at the very least. We’re doing good now but what happens if we get a significant injury to a player and everyone has to play above their skill level?

PDG/Lafferty do not belong in the top 6 ever.

I think some playoff veteran experience would help. Love to tampa bay it and acquire oshie for a pick and prospect and park him until the playoffs. Be an awesome playoff addition.

I think it would be great to find a playmaking 2C or winger to make a second line work (cole sillinger reclamation project?) but then i agree that you run the risk of annoying the current team.

On 1/9/2024 at 10:27 AM, -AJ- said:

Am I the only one here who thinks we don't need to make any more moves to "put us over the top"? I honestly don't see any significant holes in our roster, especially when healthy. Our offense is by far the best in the league and with Zadorov as well as Juulsen's improved play, I'm also comfortable with our defensive depth. Obviously Demko and DeSmith are a great tandem.

I think adding a player at this point probably has significantly diminished returns, as we already have both great chemistry and a complete team. It would sacrifice the future (picks/prospects) for too unnecessary an improvement.

To be clear, I'm not talking about minor trades or "sidegrades", but I'm talking about "trade x pick/prospect for a 2nd line forward or 2RD".

Given the likely difficult cap situation for us in the next few years, I'd rather sit tight and ride this party bus to wherever it's going.

I don't think you're looking at it from a playoff perspective.

For sure we are a great team when facing opponents 1 game at a time. But what happens over a 7 game series? Do you think the lotto line will continue to roll over the opposition without them making adjustments?

Garland or Hoglander will eventually take a hit they dont bounce back from right away.

What happens when we're hit with inevitable injuries?

Who is going to push back when Petey gets roughed up? Miller? Well now miller is in the box for 5min.

This team is not quite built for winning a rough and tumble 7-game series, let alone needing to win 4 different 7-game series'

Again, not knocking the team. It's a hell of a good team, but I still feel we are another defender and a 2C away from being a cup contender. Simply because of how tough the road to the cup is.

On 1/9/2024 at 10:20 AM, RichterBelmont said:

Pete and Hronek are gonna get paid plus the OEL buyout. This is the best deepest version of this team we will see. Heck Myers looks like a top 4 D.  

Edited by Hammertime

18 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Pete and Hronek are gonna get paid plus the OEL buyout. This is the best deepest version of this team we will see. 

very true…….unless one or more of Raty, Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki, Willander, Silovs, and Hirose can take significant leaps during their ELC time period.

Just now, Jeremy Hronek said:

very true…….unless one or more of Raty, Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki, Willander, Silovs, and Hirose can take significant leaps during their ELC time period.

I think w will need to be patient the players you mention will be hitting their primes in 2-3 years if we still have Pete Hughes under contract and Miller has declined a bit to 3 C. That's probably when we see this team shine.  

• Cheers 1

On 1/9/2024 at 9:27 AM, -AJ- said:

Am I the only one here who thinks we don't need to make any more moves to "put us over the top"? I honestly don't see any significant holes in our roster, especially when healthy. Our offense is by far the best in the league and with Zadorov as well as Juulsen's improved play, I'm also comfortable with our defensive depth. Obviously Demko and DeSmith are a great tandem.

I think adding a player at this point probably has significantly diminished returns, as we already have both great chemistry and a complete team. It would sacrifice the future (picks/prospects) for too unnecessary an improvement.

To be clear, I'm not talking about minor trades or "sidegrades", but I'm talking about "trade x pick/prospect for a 2nd line forward or 2RD".

Given the likely difficult cap situation for us in the next few years, I'd rather sit tight and ride this party bus to wherever it's going.

For the most part, I can agree with this.

Unless a deal comes along that doesn't cost us any of our top prospects, I'd stay the course and just let things play out. 

The Canucks have had a great season, so far but, they are in no position to start bleeding the system dry of top prospects. 

One piece I might put in play could be the first round pick. This years draft isn't that deep.

I heard the name Kevin Hayes thrown out. At first I scoffed at it but, given the cap issue that's going to quickly become problematic, he would make sense at 2C.

He has a good cap hit that would carry through the worst part of the buyout and, on a Vancouver squad that is loaded with high-end skill, he'd be a good fit.

Hayes for the 2024 first rounder could make sense, given the situation.

I'm of the ilk that we stand pat. I like where we're at and have proven that we've got a team that can compete. I mean, we're playoff bound, but we're not playoff proven.

If we lean towards going all in this season, then acquiring higher profile names is the only answer.  We'd be moving top prospects, top draft picks and a roster player of significance going the other way to make such happen. For this season, I really don't think that's necessary. And I really hope we don't go there.

A lot depends on how we do in the playoffs. It also depends on how other teams do as well. I mean for example; if the Coilers, Pens or other expectant contenders don't exceed expectations this season, peeps like Draisaitl, Crosby, or ???!!?!!?? (insert your choice of elite centre here!), could be had in the eggs all in the basket category. Same would go for an elite winger. Needless to say, these types would only be rentals.

Of course there's the other side of the coin where we stay the course and add some assurance with needle moving ability to our roster that don't require much in return. Moves that would give us some strength if injuries come into play with our top guys. I dunno..Pinto? Jenner? Tanev? Lindholmn? That Russian/American from San Jose?

I've no doubt that in the playoffs, our present roster Canucks will play their asses off, exact some damage and even surprise any naysayers. But alas, they're not contending yet. It bears repeating that if they want to contend, they've gotta go all in. But.................Not yet..............................Not yet my friends!

Go Canucks Go!!!!!

Edited by Sativika