[PROPOSAL] Shane Pinto to Vancouver

To Vancouver:

Shane Pinto

To Ottawa:

2025 or 2026 1st round pick

Ottawa will be losing a 1st round pick because of the Dadonov fiasco.  They have an option on when that pick will be, either 2024, 2025 or 2026.  I am sure they will keep this year’s pick.  So we can trade them our 1st round pick and they can have the option of it being either in 2025 or 2026 to match when they will lose their pick.  I think this will be very attractive for them.  They are in rebuild mode and might even be trading Chychrun, so getting another 1st round pick makes sense for them.

Vancouver gets a 23 year old right shot centre who can play either as a 3C or a 2C or even as a right winger.  Pinto is a versatile player.  He would fit perfectly into the 2C role right now for the playoff run.  Apparently he is in great shape as he had a few extra months off.  he will be rusty so he can take the next 3 months to shake the rust off and be ready for the playoffs.  

Apparently Ottawa is going to be signing him to his qualifying offer of only $900k, so cap wise it works perfectly as well.  He will be an RFA in the summer but since he’s been out half a season we probably don’t have to pay him much for next season.

• Cheers 2

Here we go... new day, new 2nd line C proposal.

You're a meme at this point!

image.png.bee6a1b4ce9ddb3cd544f6a37a401622.png

Bear in mind he has already shown a willingness to play hardball in restricted free agency - Ottawa was in a tough cap spot and I'm expecting us to be in a similar situation this summer.  If you think Pinto re-signs for $1M, and then gets a meagre extension here in Vancouver, that will mean he was a disappointment.  If he actually does fit in as a 2C in the second half/playoffs, you have to pay the man.  HIs next (next) contract will be determined by his performance.

7 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Here we go... new day, new 2nd line C proposal.

You're a meme at this point!

image.png.bee6a1b4ce9ddb3cd544f6a37a401622.png

Bear in mind he has already shown a willingness to play hardball in restricted free agency - Ottawa was in a tough cap spot and I'm expecting us to be in a similar situation this summer.  If you think Pinto re-signs for $1M, and then gets a meagre extension here in Vancouver, that will mean he was a disappointment.  If he actually does fit in as a 2C in the second half/playoffs, you have to pay the man.  HIs next (next) contract will be determined by his performance.

Those cards are such baloney, with all due respect.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Trading a golden egg for magic beans seems like a bad gamble. 

I see what you did there.... but if we dont have to give anything back personel wise, this would work. Lets see what Ottawa gives him for a contract first though.

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Vancouver:

Shane Pinto

To Ottawa:

2025 or 2026 1st round pick

Ottawa will be losing a 1st round pick because of the Dadonov fiasco.  They have an option on when that pick will be, either 2024, 2025 or 2026.  I am sure they will keep this year’s pick.  So we can trade them our 1st round pick and they can have the option of it being either in 2025 or 2026 to match when they will lose their pick.  I think this will be very attractive for them.  They are in rebuild mode and might even be trading Chychrun, so getting another 1st round pick makes sense for them.

Vancouver gets a 23 year old right shot centre who can play either as a 3C or a 2C or even as a right winger.  Pinto is a versatile player.  He would fit perfectly into the 2C role right now for the playoff run.  Apparently he is in great shape as he had a few extra months off.  he will be rusty so he can take the next 3 months to shake the rust off and be ready for the playoffs.  

Apparently Ottawa is going to be signing him to his qualifying offer of only $900k, so cap wise it works perfectly as well.  He will be an RFA in the summer but since he’s been out half a season we probably don’t have to pay him much for next season.

1. What would the new resulting line combinations with Pinto be?

2. Would you expect the presence of Pinto on a newly created second line to be a significant of secondary scoring?

Since this thread is about the Senators and mentions Chychrun, I’m just thinking outloud here:

Hughes-Hronek 

Chychrun-Soucy

Cole-Zadorov

Juulsen

(Myers moved)

Chychrun can play both sides (as can Hughes) and can help drive the puck up ice when the Hughes pairing is not on the ice. Chychrun can also move to the top pairing if one of Hughes/Hronek got injured and we wouldn’t miss a beat.

24 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

1. What would the new resulting line combinations with Pinto be?

2. Would you expect the presence of Pinto on a newly created second line to be a significant of secondary scoring?

Pettersson    Miller        Boeser

Kuzmenko     Pinto        Mikheyev

Joshua          Blueger    Garland

Hoglander    Suter         Lafferty

Pinto is an upgrade on Suter.  And it allows Suter to be our 4C which is where he can help us the most.  Pinto is a good skater and strong on faceoffs.  He is a shooter more than a set up man, so he should be able to score some goals.  He's also a right shot so can play right wing as well.  So if Petey goes back to playing centre then Pinto can be the shooter with him on the 2nd line as the right wing.

Long term Pinto can be our 3C to replace Blueger.  Blueger may not sign with us in the summer.  Pinto may want $2.5 million, but Blueger may want even more as a UFA.  So we'd have Pinot as our 3C and then Lekkerimaki steps in on the 2nd line.  So our future lines would be:

Mikheyev       Miller             Boeser

Hoglander     Pettersson    Lekkerimaki

Joshua          Pinto              Garland

Podkolzin      Raty               Lafferty

Bains           

We can then trade Kuzmenko for more help on defence, specifically a right shot Dman.  We have Willander coming in, but we still need more help on the right side.  We need a right shot Zadorov type IMO...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pinto is an upgrade on Suter.  And it allows Suter to be our 4C which is where he can help us the most.  Pinto is a good skater and strong on faceoffs.  He is a shooter more than a set up man, so he should be able to score some goals.  He's also a right shot so can play right wing as well.  So if Petey goes back to playing centre then Pinto can be the shooter with him on the 2nd line as the right wing.

Long term Pinto can be our 3C to replace Blueger.  Blueger may not sign with us in the summer.  Pinto may want $2.5 million, but Blueger may want even more as a UFA.  So we'd have Pinot as our 3C and then Lekkerimaki steps in on the 2nd line.  So our future lines would be:

Bains           

We can then trade Kuzmenko for more help on defence, specifically a right shot Dman.  We have Willander coming in, but we still need more help on the right side.  We need a right shot Zadorov type IMO...

Only thing is I think Pinto will want more than $2.5.  He was a 20 goal scorer before his suspension.  Likely more in the $3.5+ range I think.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Only thing is I think Pinto will want more than $2.5.  He was a 20 goal scorer before his suspension.  Likely more in the $3.5+ range I think.

I doubt he's getting $3.5 million after missing half a season.  He's an RFA not a UFA.  He'll take a one year show me deal and go from there...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I doubt he's getting $3.5 million after missing half a season.  He's an RFA not a UFA.  He'll take a one year show me deal and go from there...

Depends a lot on how he plays this season.  He will have half a season.  If he puts up 10 goals and 18 to 20 points in the 40 games, wouldn't surprise me if he gets $3.5M+.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Depends a lot on how he plays this season.  He will have half a season.  If he puts up 10 goals and 18 to 20 points in the 40 games, wouldn't surprise me if he gets $3.5M+.

Nobody is paying him $3.5 million for half a season of work.  And I don't think he's dumb enough to hold out after what happened to him this season...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nobody is paying him $3.5 million for half a season of work.  And I don't think he's dumb enough to hold out after what happened to him this season...

1.5 seasons of work.  It's not like he didn't play last year.

He's a 6'3" 200lbs RH centre that is good on draws coming off 20 goals and 35 points.  All he needs to do is come up with a similar performance over 40 games and plenty of teams will want him.  He's only 23 years old.

Edited by HKSR
  • Like 1

I don't know why Ott would move Pinto, as their C depth is dismal.  Shane has great potential,

but still needs more development and game experience.  I think they have the patience to

groom into a top 6C, but it will take a while.

On the other hand, if the Canucks could pick him up without losing too much in a trade,

they do it.  Again, Shane isn't going to help the Canucks in the short term, but he could

turn into a core player later on.

I believe the Canucks are looking at acquiring a player that can help them down the

stretch and into the playoffs and Pinto is not that guy.  Hopefully they will get a player

in the 25/26yr range, without giving away the farm.  I really hope they don't go for

an expensive rental.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is a good idea for the long-term in my opinion, however I don’t think he’s ready to be a second line centre this season and playoffs. Therefore, I would also trade for Henrique.

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser 

Pinto - Henrique - Kuzmenko 

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Hoglander - Suter - Lafferty

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bains           

Pretty good thought process but my only concern is that Pinto’s lack of playmaking ability might not be a good fit for Kuzmenko and Mikheyev. To your point however, he’d be a nice option to have just in case we lose Bluegar next season.   Pinto’s presence would also allow for Suter to go to a more ideally suited bottom 6 role (although I really like the chemistry that has developed between Hoglander-Aman-Lafferty).  Aman has made a strong case to stay in the line-up.

I think for me, I’m not sure if I see a huge need for an upgrade to the 2nd line.  Yes, the Suter, Mikheyev, Kuzmenko line aren’t doing anything, but we’re getting consistent scoring from all our other lines.  

As long as the Lotto line remains in tact, our 2nd line seems like it will inevitably struggle with offense no matter who the center is.  Hence, I’m not really sure if it’s worth trading a key prospect or high draft pick for such a piece.

On the flip side, the Canucks’ back-end, as deep as it is, need a guy that can ensure that our top defensive pairing remains elite even if one of Hughes or Hronek goes down with injury.  Can guys like Soucy, Cole, and Zadorov play with Hughes or Hronek?  Absolutely. Would such a pairing be elite?  I’m not so sure.

Hence, the need for someone like Chychrun.  For me, I’d honestly look at Chychrun over Pinto.  

Even though our 2nd line is a bit ‘useless’ right now, I think it provides us with good depth incase of injuries and can be split up when necessary (ie Kuzmenko or Mikheyev takes Boeser’s spot on the top line if Boeser gets injured, Miller and Pettersson can always anchor different lines if necessary, Suter can go back to the bottom 6 if there is an injury to Bluegar or someone else on the Bottom 6).

Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that our closest NHl ready prospects on the farm are forwards right now (Raty, Podkolzin).  And so come playoff time, these guys can fill in if there are injuries.  Hirose as a bottom pairing defenseman as well.

The ultimate point I’m making in this:  The only area where the Canucks don’t seem to be well protected as far as injuries go, is if one of Hughes or Hronek gets injured since are other defensemen, as good as they are, are only #4 calibre defensemen at best.  We don’t have that #3 guy that could really look good on a top pairing.  Hence, why I believe that going after Chychrun (if we’re thinking Ottawa) would be better than Pinto.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1