Nils Höglander | #21 | LW

Rubik

• Rubik changed the title to Nils Höglander | #21 | LW

Had some mixed feelings on him last night. Showed some good promise, but didn't quite finish. Looking for the ability to finish plays either with assists or goals more often from Nils. Sounds like Tocchet liked him though, so he'll certainly get more chances.

• Cheers 1

It was hard for anyone to impress in Calgary, but Hoglander did a lot of things right.  He didn't do anything game breaking but kind of hard to do when you're not getting much support from the rest of your team because they were completely overwhelmed.  Hogs and Raty were the bright spots on the night.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

My gut is that Hoglander will make this team, at least to start. If he's cold for too long, we could see him go back down, but he's shown enough I think to give him a chance. Just hoping that he can actually put it together and play like the middle six forward he can be.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

My gut is that Hoglander will make this team, at least to start. If he's cold for too long, we could see him go back down, but he's shown enough I think to give him a chance. Just hoping that he can actually put it together and play like the middle six forward he can be.

imo, 0 chance we see him in Abby. I think a good handful of teams would give him a shot

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

imo, 0 chance we see him in Abby. I think a good handful of teams would give him a shot

Fair point, the waiver issue probably means he doesn't go back down. If he struggles, it's more likely he's traded for a mid to late draft pick than going to Abby.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Hogs has talent and grit and has shown in the past that he can play in this league.  However I am concerned that with Hogs + Garland + Q. Hughes in the lineup, that's 3 really small bodies that are easily rubbed out along the boards.  imo 3 small bodies = too many for this ultra competitive league.  My preference would be for one of Hogs/Garland, not both.  Hughes seems able to worm his way out of trouble.

Cheers all, season starts for real in a few days !  image.png.ca0ef3386e72f57338ef5e5a3895bce9.png

Just now, Singing Chef said:

Hogs has talent and grit and has shown in the past that he can play in this league.  However I am concerned that with Hogs + Garland + Q. Hughes in the lineup, that's 3 really small bodies that are easily rubbed out along the boards.  imo 3 small bodies = too many for this ultra competitive league.  My preference would be for one of Hogs/Garland, not both.  Hughes seems able to worm his way out of trouble.

Cheers all, season starts for real in a few days !  image.png.ca0ef3386e72f57338ef5e5a3895bce9.png

I would distinguish Hoglander from Garland and Hughes because he's built like a truck. Sure, he's a short guy, but he's stocky and has a very low centre of mass. Very hard to knock off the puck despite his short stature.

• Cheers 2

Just now, -AJ- said:

I would distinguish Hoglander from Garland and Hughes because he's built like a truck. Sure, he's a short guy, but he's stocky and has a very low centre of mass. Very hard to knock off the puck despite his short stature.

Agreed, and he would be my choice over Garland, but both in the lineup = too many small bodies. 

On 10/6/2023 at 4:21 PM, flat land fish said:

Ideally podkolzin finds his game in Abby and he can replace garland on a permanent basis.

That would be great. Money & Cap ways too. However Garland is too valuable. Reads the play so well and doesn't get hurt much.  

If you can find the original interview when Garland first joined, he said Actually, I'm not 5 foot 8.  I'm 5 foot 6! 😃

5 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

And someone would pick him up for sure. Amazing how many people are willing to throw valuable young assets away if they don't provide instant gratification.

well, we have to waive someone to make room for Blueger and Mik, if we're only able to go with 12 F's. 

Is he that valuable? 

6 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

What, we have no waiver exempt players on the team? So you believe that we will be waiving Hogs?

just Hirose right now I believe. 

Yeah I think its possible. I don't think Hogs showed enough yesterday. Just my 2 cents I could be wrong. 

22 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

And someone would pick him up for sure. Amazing how many people are willing to throw valuable young assets away if they don't provide instant gratification.

Yah... Wouldn't wave him, we'd trade him for picks or a player.  Though, right now his value isn't high, so would probably be best if we could showcase him if we can't get decent value for him.

Edited by Hogs and Podz

43 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

just Hirose right now I believe. 

Yeah I think its possible. I don't think Hogs showed enough yesterday. Just my 2 cents I could be wrong. 

Of course it is possible. But I don't think it is that probable. If they were going to waive him, I think it would have been at the same time all the other teams were waiving their surplus players, to hide him in the crowd.

He was decent. I feel he rushes the play sometimes - which may speak to poor decision making or not being quick enough to get on the puck with enough time to make a solid pass or deke. 

Despite this, I still maintain Hogs will be an NHL regular. (Though unless he starts finding his target, he's running out of time to show he belongs)

There were definitely a couple shifts last night where it felt like he was trying to do to much and trying to force plays. But he also had a couple fantastic shifts as well. Probably the biggest things he needs to learn is how to be more patient without losing his edge. He really does mirror Garland in a lot of ways but seems a little bit faster (and also more panicky).