Nils Höglander | #21 | LW

Rubik

Trading this guy right now would be a mistake. 

Obviously every team we deal with between now and deadline will ask for him, but we just can't do it. 

Hoggy's style of play, his particular skillset, and his cap hit are all essential to our team's success in this year's playoffs.

Without considering potential or value in the future, I would trade Lekkerimaki or Podkolzin before Nils.

1 hour ago, nergish said:

Trading this guy right now would be a mistake. 

Obviously every team we deal with between now and deadline will ask for him, but we just can't do it. 

Hoggy's style of play, his particular skillset, and his cap hit are all essential to our team's success in this year's playoffs.

Without considering potential or value in the future, I would trade Lekkerimaki or Podkolzin before Nils.

It depends what we are trading for. I love Hog and have followed him since well before he was drafted. But realistically if there's a good 2 way 2/3c available with intangibles on the table we may have to consider hogs as part of the package.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

It depends what we are trading for. I love Hog and have followed him since well before he was drafted. But realistically if there's a good 2 way 2/3c available with intangibles on the table we may have to consider hogs as part of the package.

Hogs is no centre, but he's already arguably shown the potential to be a great middle six forward, so I'd be wary of including him as part of the package, unless we're talking about a potentially elite 2C like Lindholm.

17 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Hogs is no centre, but he's already arguably shown the potential to be a great middle six forward, so I'd be wary of including him as part of the package, unless we're talking about a potentially elite 2C like Lindholm.

I disagree as said elite 2C is probably a rental.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hoglander slides into 116th in all-time Canuck scoring with his goal this morning.

115  Jiri Slegr D 154 12 65 77
116  Nils Hoglander RW 191 41 34 75
117  Troy Stecher D 286 11 64 75

Hogs is still producing a bit less than his rookie season (in terms of points), but he's close to that level and his goal total is way up. Obviously a shooting percentage over 20% won't last, but it is probably indicative of both some luck and some great shooting and hand-eye profficiency by tipping pucks in. His sneaky unknown skill might be his incredible hand-eye coordination.

43 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Hogs is still producing a bit less than his rookie season (in terms of points), but he's close to that level and his goal total is way up. Obviously a shooting percentage over 20% won't last, but it is probably indicative of both some luck and some great shooting and hand-eye profficiency by tipping pucks in. His sneaky unknown skill might be his incredible hand-eye coordination.

His TOI was much higher than this season. 

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

His TOI was much higher than this season. 

I don't have access to those numbers here at work, but his lengthy 4th line time leads me to believe you to be correct. I do recall him playing a lot on the 2nd and 3rd line in his rookie year. That definitely would impact his production.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He sees and thinks the game extremely quickly, and his hands and feet are able to keep up. Always some luck involved, but given his skill level and the way he plays, I don't really expect his shooting percentage to drop off that much. It's not entirely luck that he leads the NHL in even strength goals per 60, a whisker ahead of Matthews.

2 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

He sees and thinks the game extremely quickly, and his hands and feet are able to keep up. Always some luck involved, but given his skill level and the way he plays, I don't really expect his shooting percentage to drop off that much. It's not entirely luck that he leads the NHL in even strength goals per 60, a whisker ahead of Matthews.

It will certainly drop off, but yes, he may remain at the higher end. Most top coverters in the long run are around 18% shooting percentage, so we could maybe expect that he'll come to rest around that level if he's elite at finishing like he looks to be a times.

Per 60 stats can unfortunatley be misleading and lead to silly conclusions due to both small sample sizes and quality of competition considerations. It's quite common for third liners to show up amongst the elite in points or goals per 60, though obviously no one would consider them to be on the same level as the elite 1st line forwards up there. It does, however, indicate that these players may have untapped potential and should be given a larger role to see if they can suceed with more ice time against better opposition. Hoglander seems to have finally gotten another chance in the top six and I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick.

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I don't have access to those numbers here at work, but his lengthy 4th line time leads me to believe you to be correct. I do recall him playing a lot on the 2nd and 3rd line in his rookie year. That definitely would impact his production.

His rookie season Hoglander averaged 15:25/game. This season he's averaging 11:08/game which is the second lowest on the team (Aman is the lowest). It's actually pretty incredible how much he's producing considering his limited ice time. I think he's certainly earned more ice time and a look in the top 6.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

He's become my favorite player on the team this year and that's with some fantastic company to choose from. 

Again last night Hogs got about 11 minutes of TOI. When is RT going to release this hound? 

• Upvote 1

Hoglander played a whale of a game last night.

He did it all.

He played a nice puck control game and contributed to his line's dominance.

He played physical and was driving his opposite number on the wings to distraction.

If he keeps on improving his play as he has done so far this year, who knows how good he will be.

Edited by Artemus
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hoglander now 113th in all-time Canuck scoring with his goal tonight.

112  Dan Quinn C 101 34 49 83
113  Nils Hoglander RW 202 45 36 81
114  Michel Petit D 226 24 57 81
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Hoglander's apple moves him into 112th in all-time Canuck scoring tonight.

111  Steve Tambellini LW 161 42 45 87
112  Nils Hoglander RW 204 45 38 83
113  Dan Quinn C 101 34 49 83
  • Huggy Bear 1