Nils Höglander | #21 | LW

Rubik

On 1/26/2024 at 1:00 PM, nergish said:

Trading this guy right now would be a mistake. 

Obviously every team we deal with between now and deadline will ask for him, but we just can't do it. 

Hoggy's style of play, his particular skillset, and his cap hit are all essential to our team's success in this year's playoffs.

Without considering potential or value in the future, I would trade Lekkerimaki or Podkolzin before Nils.

I'm right with you till the end there... Those three guys should all be untouchable unless someone is overpaying extensively OR in the case of Podkolzin something incredibly substantial with term is coming back. 

Found an article on hogs....

for those of u not knowing the reference that Zadorov mentioned, he does come from a village with ca 30 ppl. He grew up playing hockey on a lake next to his house. he started playing hockey at clemensnäs HC. In 2012 his sister died at age 13 due to her main artery suddenly ruptured. They were the only children in the village at the time, growing up and she also played for Clemensnäs HC. Hoglander joined swedish hockeyclub AIKs hockeyschool in stockholm, and at age 14-15 and was supposed to play with J18 but was quickly moved to the J20. After 2 games there he was called to the AIK mens team which played in the league under the SHL at the time. He played men at the 2nd highest league in sweden at age 15 and played 24 games there (thats pretty special). After that he signed with Rögle in the SHL as well as making appearances on swedens U18 and J20. in 2020 he was supposed to start his rookie season with canucks but due to covid he played another year for Rögle in the SHL. 

hogs3.jpg

hogs2.jpg

hogs4.jpg

• Huggy Bear 4

33 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

Found an article on hogs....

for those of u not knowing the reference that Zadorov mentioned, he does come from a village with ca 30 ppl. He grew up playing hockey on a lake next to his house. he started playing hockey at clemensnäs HC. In 2012 his sister died at age 13 due to her main artery suddenly ruptured. They were the only children in the village at the time, growing up and she also played for Clemensnäs HC. Hoglander joined swedish hockeyclub AIKs hockeyschool in stockholm, and at age 14-15 and was supposed to play with J18 but was quickly moved to the J20. After 2 games there he was called to the AIK mens team which played in the league under the SHL at the time. He played men at the 2nd highest league in sweden at age 15 and played 24 games there (thats pretty special). After that he signed with Rögle in the SHL as well as making appearances on swedens U18 and J20. in 2020 he was supposed to start his rookie season with canucks but due to covid he played another year for Rögle in the SHL. 

hogs3.jpg

hogs2.jpg

hogs4.jpg

He and demmer are my favorite current Canucks. I hope they sign him long term because I'm due for a jersey. All I have is Horvat and Kesler sweaters lol.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Thanks for posting this @Elias Pettersson

Impressive improvement in his defensive play. I'm glad the Canucks were patient with him and didn't trade him away. With his work ethic, motor, and skills I think he'll be a consistent 50 to 60 point player in the years to come.

• Cheers 1

I'm kind of glad we don't have to worry about his contract until next season as he's going to be another one who's going to need more money when the time comes. lol

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, boziffous said:

Thanks for posting this @Elias Pettersson

Impressive improvement in his defensive play. I'm glad the Canucks were patient with him and didn't trade him away. With his work ethic, motor, and skills I think he'll be a consistent 50 to 60 point player in the years to come.

Yeah he's scoring at a 39-point pace for now, but I do see potential for 50 points if he plays top six minutes for the majority of the year. His skill level is so high he could even push 60-70 I think too with the right chemistry and linemates. I could see him and Petey being pure magic.

• Upvote 1

He’s been working with the Sedins 3 times a week and the Canucks have turned down multiple offers from other teams. Canucks view him as a bonafide 2nd line winger and potentially a top line winger. 

• 2 weeks later...

Incredible how this guy isn't on our #1 Powerplay and hasn't even been given a look with how poorly they're doing. Almost would like to see him there instead of Petey... Petey is not really doing anything. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

oh man playoff hockey.....hopin for more plays from hogs like this....

The only question mark in the Canuck lineup is their offense. Can EP40 find his top game? While there are a number of wolves in the bushes I watch Hogs with the greatest interest. EP40's setup of Hogs score last game was a beaut. Hogs has the potential of winning a game for the Canucks. 

hogs can become a key player if he keeps evolving, hes a year or 2 short from how good i want him to be but hes a pleasant surprise so far. EP40 i feel is on a bit on echo mode right now, i remember him beign a beast in the bubble playoffs, hope he can switch that on. for now i think its gonna be tight games and therefore im hoping demko can continute to dominate in net more then being worried about petey...

Hopefully Tocchet has a good chat with Hog, along the lines of “I love how you drive the opponents to lose their cool, but don’t lose yours Hog”.

I say this remembering a few instances where our young Hog has lost it on the ice, most notably that flying elbow that got him bounced out of the World Juniors a few years back. 

I have to admit that I didn't like Hogs' game all that much until this season.  There was always

the busyness, but not a lot of results.  I actually thought that Podz would be the one playing

in the top 6 by now and Hogs still in Abby or traded.

He's shown a lot of gumption to develop his game into making himself an integral part of

the team.  He's becoming a well-rounded player, somewhat like Garland, but perhaps with

a more offensive upside.

• Cheers 1