Nils Höglander | #21 | LW

Rubik

Don't want to start any conspiracy theories, but management may be keeping in mind the fact that Hogs is EP40's best bud, and it's EP's contract year.

I know like a lot of theories that could be just hogwash.

I also agree with a lot of posters saying he's a very promising and exciting player but he best start doing just a little more. I really like him and hope he can.

On 10/12/2023 at 6:48 AM, WeneedLumme said:

And someone would pick him up for sure. Amazing how many people are willing to throw valuable young assets away if they don't provide instant gratification.

Hardly instant gratification. Hoglander has shown the same weaknesses in his game since he was drafted. He’s yet to impress me at the NHL level.

26 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Hardly instant gratification. Hoglander has shown the same weaknesses in his game since he was drafted. He’s yet to impress me at the NHL level.

3 points in 2 games to start the season though. Safe to say he's doing the right things to impress you?

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

3 points in 2 games to start the season though. Safe to say he's doing the right things to impress you?

In the later part of the 3rd in Edmonton the play was deep in the Oiler corner. Hogs was battling for possession and another Canuck forward joined the fray. Instead of continuing the battle as soon as Hogs realized the situation he retreated higher in the zone to prevent a uncontested Oiler breakout if the puck was turned. I was impressed by that as in the past he would have gambled on that play. If Hogs can stabilize his d-side game I think there is a spot on the 3rd line for him. Impressed that RT thought enough of his game that he had him on the ice that late in the game. The video coaching would be fascinating to listen to. 

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He impressed me last game. He looks defensively responsible and was certainly productive. A goal, an assist, +2 and 3 hits, all in 8 minutes of ice time. He looks to me like he belongs in the NHL. I think the idea of waiving him to try to send him to Abbottsford is completely absurd.

• Thanks 1

As with basically the rest of the team, through 2 games, Hoglander is finding a good balance between offense and defense. Pretty much everyone is making sure to support one another on the ice, with no one cheating on offense and erring on the side of the "living to fight another day" mentality. It's very noticeable for Hoglander given how unimpressive pre-season was, and to have 3 points is icing on the cake.

If Hoglander can keep this going and help the Canucks be in a position to roll 4 lines, then this will really help the team improve this season, let alone increase his value and possible role with this roster.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Very happy for this guy. He's earned every second of his ice time. 

Almost a point a game in very limited seconds.

Currently 13th in Points/60 in the entire league. Second only to Petey on the Canucks.

• Vintage 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2023 at 9:34 AM, nzan said:

Almost a point a game in very limited seconds.

Currently 13th in Points/60 in the entire league. Second only to Petey on the Canucks.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Even after playing just 25 games last year, Nils is 12th in games played and 8th for goals in the 2019 draft class. 

This is part of why i didn't think he should have been in abbotsford that long. It has skewed his value and stats a bit

People keep trying to trade him 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

With Kuzmenko's injury I'm surprised we don't see Hoglander get some top line minutes. He seems to keep finding ways to score despite playing 10 minutes a night. Kid deserves more of an offensive shot here and there, especially with injuries up front, instead of Garland who we now well and truly know doesn't have any finish.

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hoglander is looking like he can be a good piece in a trade for a top 4 Dman.  With Podkolzin, Bains, Raty and Klimovich in Abby plus Lekkerimaki on the way, we have lots of young forward talent to choose from to fill spots next season.  What we need more than anything is another top 4 Dman...

Makes me sad to see stuff like this, even if you're right.  It's like we're parading them.

"Good job, Hogs!  You and Garly have been looking great.  You see that, Columbus?  See?"

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Makes me sad to see stuff like this, even if you're right.  It's like we're parading them.

"Good job, Hogs!  You and Garly have been looking great.  You see that, Columbus?  See?"

Hoglander doesn't seem like a fit in the top 6.  We have lots of guys in Abby who can fill out the bottom 6.  Podkolzin is pretty much a lock for a spot next season, maybe Bains too.  So that leaves Hoglander on the 4th line or in the press box.  He just doesn't have the size to drive a 3rd line.  And he doesn't have the speed or the hands to be a 20-25 goal scorer on the top lines.

It's actually in his best interests to get traded to a team that can play him in the top 6.  Who knows, he might prove me wrong, but only if he gets a true opportunity to play top 6 minutes on a regular basis.

We need Dmen and more Dmen in order to keep this thing going and try for a long playoff run.  We can't win in the playoffs without being at least 8 deep on the backend.  Right now we are 6 deep with one injury.  We need BOTH Zadorov and Tanev IMO in order to make a deep playoff run.  That puts us 8 deep on the backend.

Hughes     Hronek

Zadorov    Tanev

Cole          Myers

Soucy       Friedman

We need all 8 of these guys to make a true playoff push and even shoot for the cup.  What's it going to take to get BOTH Zadorov and Tanev?  Probably our 2024 1st and Hoglander and maybe another prospect plus Beauvillier as the cap dump.  Calgary would have to retain salary to make it work so that will cost us as well.

It's not gonna be cheap if we truly want to win a cup.  The boys are ready now though.  It's time.  we don't need to wait another 2-3 years.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hoglander doesn't seem like a fit in the top 6.  We have lots of guys in Abby who can fill out the bottom 6.  Podkolzin is pretty much a lock for a spot next season, maybe Bains too.  So that leaves Hoglander on the 4th line or in the press box.  He just doesn't have the size to drive a 3rd line.  And he doesn't have the speed or the hands to be a 20-25 goal scorer on the top lines.

It's actually in his best interests to get traded to a team that can play him in the top 6.  Who knows, he might prove me wrong, but only if he gets a true opportunity to play top 6 minutes on a regular basis.

We need Dmen and more Dmen in order to keep this thing going and try for a long playoff run.  We can't win in the playoffs without being at least 8 deep on the backend.  Right now we are 6 deep with one injury.  We need BOTH Zadorov and Tanev IMO in order to make a deep playoff run.  That puts us 8 deep on the backend.

Hughes     Hronek

Zadorov    Tanev

Cole          Myers

Soucy       Friedman

We need all 8 of these guys to make a true playoff push and even shoot for the cup.  What's it going to take to get BOTH Zadorov and Tanev?  Probably our 2024 1st and Hoglander and maybe another prospect plus Beauvillier as the cap dump.  Calgary would have to retain salary to make it work so that will cost us as well.

It's not gonna be cheap if we truly want to win a cup.  The boys are ready now though.  It's time.  we don't need to wait another 2-3 years.  

We'd probably win a cup with that D.   We for sure could win the attrition part of the battle.   

If this wasn't CAL, i'd probably be spamming the site with threads and post on how we could get them.   Sure CAL will put us at the bottom of the list of teams interested in what they've got.    Never seen a big trade with them, or the Oilers, in all the time i've watched.    However we did do this with ANA once and Kesler, not that he gave us much choice.    

CAL has to make a decision and kind of screwed themselves with the Huberdeau trade.    Weager is probably the best of the bunch other than Hanifin.    Zadarov we could sign in the summer.    Likely going to be an Eastern team, not sure which one is looking to blow things up or rent something.   Personally hope we don't get into any rentals we don't also want to re-sign.   Zadarov makes some sense there. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

With Kuzmenko's injury I'm surprised we don't see Hoglander get some top line minutes. He seems to keep finding ways to score despite playing 10 minutes a night. Kid deserves more of an offensive shot here and there, especially with injuries up front, instead of Garland who we now well and truly know doesn't have any finish.

EPs game has been off since TO.   Hasn't really been on all season, not in the sense of his top A game anyways, which is scary given he's leading the league in scoring.    Was solid in the 3rd period against OTT but that's about it.   Can't blame Garland for that, and he's always been more of a playmaker than a finisher.   Hogs maybe gets a chance in the top six.    Because the team is deeper when Garland is on the third line more than anything else.    EP and Garland haven't shown a lot of chemistry, that said maybe they could if Garland was also given a legit shot in the top six.    Tochett was probably rewarding Garland, it's too bad they both just took a big hit on the minus part of the ledger.   Just one game.   Hogs has at least kept his spot on the team.  

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

We are deep on the wings, cap heavy too.   Fixing our team make-up would give this team a legit shot.   And it won't come cheap.   I'd be all for acquiring a cost controlled top four D.    Of course it depends on the cost.    How many more games would we win if we had the best D in the league?    Adding two top four D's would make things so much easier on our goalies, AND our forwards. 

• Cheers 2