[Report] Ottawa expected to ask Vladimir Tarasenko to waive his NTC (Sens also looking at other trade options)

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/report-ottawa-senators-expected-to-ask-vladimir-tarasenko-to-waive-ntc-listening-on-jakob-chychrun-1.2064247

The Ottawa Senators are an example why a proper rebuild takes patience and time.  Trading away futures/prospects before the window is open has put the Sens in their current condition.  Safe to say Dorion will never have a hockey management job again.

So another top-six forward hits the block.  Vova is likely not the man we need but it will create some disruptions in the market.  He is a transition forward who has done admirably for Ottawa, generating chances on the rush.  Not the playdriver he was in St. Louis but still an impact player.

Screenshot_20240118_083530_Sheets.jpg.2deab5984f1675da66cfb39a1e835c88.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Was only a matter of time, beats letting him walk for nothing 

If Ottawa retain 50%, and they should, he could fit a lot on a lot of teams

Probs returns a 1st at 50%

Could see a team like Winnipeg having interest 

Edited by Coconuts

Maybe a straight up trade could happen?

Kuzmenko (and a mid/late pick) for Tarasenko

I wonder if Allvin will be able to trade for a #2C by the TDL, could be super expensive and something they might look at in the off season. So, sadly, the Lotto Line could be split again.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Tarasenko

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Tarasenko isn't having a very good year in Ottawa, but I believe he's playing on the 3rd line, centered by Rourke Chartier. I know, who the f*** is that?  I think if Tarasenko is on a line centered by Petey, good things will happen. Tarasenko has also won a Cup.

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I see him as a King, Oiler, or Knight 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think Winnipeg is hunting for centre and D depth.  Pretty much like us.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Caboose said:

Canucks likely priced out of this, but he could probably be the solution on the second line if Vancouver is committed to Suter down the middle. 

If Vancouver is committed to Suter as our 2nd line C then they're not committed to winning a cup.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If Vancouver is committed to Suter as our 2nd line C then they're not committed to winning a cup.

Yup, and that's why a 2C would be a much better target than a winger.  It provides so much more flexibility.

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

I think Winnipeg is hunting for centre and D depth.  Pretty much like us.

Dunno how many center options will be out there, I mention Winnipeg because when they were at their best over the past 6-7 years they were big and skilled. 

They could use a D boost, but it's hard to argue with what they've accomplished thus far. 

They'd want a center with term or who's willing to stay too, which complicates things. That probably means they won't be poking at Lindholm. 

Maybe Henrique, but he's not a longer-term option or even a great one. They could poke at Zegras, but he's injured and hasn't done much this season. Maybe Jenner, but he's injured and has an 8-team NTC. Doubt Hertl would waive his NMC for Winnipeg. They could try Monahan. 

There just aren't a whole lot of quality centers out there who are definitively available. Might have to settle for an upgrade on the wing, similar to us. 

Things could change but there are a lot of teams in each conference jockeying for the 8-6 spots, if that continues there may just not be as many sellers. 

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I don't know. He's having a tough season, and if I recall didn't do much for the Rangers last post season. Does he have a NTC? That could hamper value as well. I'm all for making a move for a cup run but we need to keep cheaper, quality players like Hog and Pods with the upcoming cap crunch. If the top centers are out of the Canucks price range, which I feel they are, maybe getting a Tarasenko on wing and moving JT back to second line center is an option? Cap wise not sure, the Sens are cheapos, but maybe Tarasenko can be had for a second with no money retained?

On 1/18/2024 at 8:38 AM, Miss Korea said:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/report-ottawa-senators-expected-to-ask-vladimir-tarasenko-to-waive-ntc-listening-on-jakob-chychrun-1.2064247

The Ottawa Senators are an example why a proper rebuild takes patience and time.  Trading away futures/prospects before the window is open has put the Sens in their current condition.  Safe to say Dorion will never have a hockey management job again.

So another top-six forward hits the block.  Vova is likely not the man we need but it will create some disruptions in the market.  He is a transition forward who has done admirably for Ottawa, generating chances on the rush.  Not the playdriver he was in St. Louis but still an impact player.

Screenshot_20240118_083530_Sheets.jpg.2deab5984f1675da66cfb39a1e835c88.jpg

If I had this guy on my team he would play in the PP1 and that’s it. Rest of the time he can sit on that bench and hand out sticks to the other players. 

1% defence is outrageous. 

16 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Great veteran piece for their younger players. I doubt it.

Giroux could have gone to a lot of teams and had success, more competitive teams for sure, he wanted to go home

https://theathletic.com/3420245/2022/07/13/senators-claude-giroux-signing-free-agency-nhl/

Edited by Coconuts
  • ThereItIs 1

I personally don't think that Tarasenko would fit into the style of game that Tocchet wants our guys playing. I think we'd run into the same issues that Kuzmenko is having.

Tarasenko isn't exactly known as a 200 foot player, from what I've seen, he's not a strong backcheck type of guy.

On 1/19/2024 at 12:47 AM, EB43 said:

Tarasenko-Erikson Ek-Guentzel

This would make a great second line, just not sure how we split Myers and the 2029 8th round pick between all 3 teams in the trade.

If that is our second line, we're winning the cup.