[Proposal] extend Joshua

On 1/20/2024 at 5:30 AM, Artemus said:

You make some solid points and I agree with them.

Joshua, at 27 has entered into his peak years with a nice run of play. Theoretically, he should be able to hold this level of play until he is 32. Roughly another 4 years.

So, I think that your contract terms look quite reasonable from a team perspective. To keep the AAV down, I would consider adding an additional year. 4 years rather than 3.

With the cap hurt coming from the OEL buyout, we have to be leary of giving any player the Benning contract. A million too much and a year too long.

The problem is that is basically just the Poolman contract again. This team needs to maintain cap flexibility in the future.

On 1/18/2024 at 11:09 AM, Outsiders said:

He's definitely going to be asking for 3-3.5 million and IMO a team will give him that on a 3 or 4 year deal. 

I'm so torn on this season. This might be our best chance to win with our cap structure. We will have other chances, but this year feels like a run of some sort could happen. Its tough because we have valuable UFA's and my long term outlook tells me we can't just let guys walk for free. That draft capital is just too important to our long term success as a franchise. 

Joshua could get us a 2nd 

Lafferty a 3rd 

Cole a 3rd or 4th

Myers a 1st or a 2nd with prospect

DeSmith 2nd 

Like man those second rounder would allow us to trade our first for another Hronek type deal but for a 2C. 

lol so you want the top team in the league to be sellers and sell of 1/4 of the team? In that case every year there will be pending ufa we should sell them and be a seller every single season. And Myers is not getting you a 1st or a 2nd with prospect lol

• ThereItIs 1

On 1/18/2024 at 10:22 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Joshua isn’t a depth piece.  He’s basically a light version of Tom Wilson.  He’s on pace for 22 goals and plays a hard physical game to boot.  He is also one of our top penalty killers.  You don’t just let him walk for nothing, there is nobody else in free agency who can replace him.

Petey, Hronek and then Joshua are the important pieces to sign.  DeSmith is below them along with Zadorov and Myers.  Blueger and Lafferty are depth pieces than can be replaced and could walk.  Cole will be 35 next year so I don’t have a problem with him walking either if we lock up Zadorov…

Well said. Joshua has to be on the team next season. 

I think Joshua, Pettersson, Zadorov and Hronek are back.

Raty and Podkolzin make the team next season.

Still a great team, especially if we trade for a 2nd line center. 

Pettersson - Miler - Boeser

Hoglander - TRADE - Mikheyev

Garland - Suter - Joshua

Aman - Raty - Podkolzin

On 1/21/2024 at 10:04 AM, Johnny said:

i would offer 1.5milx4, easy enough to bury if needed, gives him longer term security but also isnt too much if his play falls back to his average

Maybe he stays with team if we give him term like this. I would not be against a medium-term deal like this. 

• Cheers 1

Yes we should extend Joshua.   2.25 x 2.    He knows he's got a good gig here, it's not a foregone conclusion, that he will sign somewhere else, and do better.   Then, if he's hit the sweet spot, he can maybe get  Hansen like deal from the Canucks, or someone else, as in a four year deal all claused up to lower his cap hit.    20 goal scorers in their prime, playing middle six minutes aren't easy to find at his current hit, get that.   Team would be wise to keep that line together.  

47 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes we should extend Joshua.   2.25 x 2.    He knows he's got a good gig here, it's not a foregone conclusion, that he will sign somewhere else, and do better.   Then, if he's hit the sweet spot, he can maybe get  Hansen like deal from the Canucks, or someone else, as in a four year deal all claused up to lower his cap hit.    20 goal scorers in their prime, playing middle six minutes aren't easy to find at his current hit, get that.   Team would be wise to keep that line together.  

Someone is gonna throw $3m+ for him assuming he continues his pace.  He's pacing for 20 goals and 40 points... doubt you'd lock him down for 2.25M.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Someone is gonna throw $3m+ for him assuming he continues his pace.  He's pacing for 20 goals and 40 points... doubt you'd lock him down for 2.25M.

Probably.   Dickinson was a Motte clone on Dallas with a bit more maybe.   Need to be careful.    Don't think that would be a wise move by the Canucks given it's Tochett raising the bar, and Garland for sure is the engine on that line.    Lafferty isn't far behind him, and aside from some games with EP...  I'm not convinced yet, that we couldn't find a different UFA and make it work.   For half or less. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Just now, IBatch said:

Probably.   Dickinson was a Motte clone on Dallas with a bit more maybe.   Need to be careful.    Don't think that would be a wise move by the Canucks given it's Tochett raising the bar, and Garland for sure is the engine on that line. 

I think the problem is both Blueger and Joshua will be getting offers in the $3m+ range.  We realistically could possibly keep one of them.  I'd keep Joshua and move Suter into the middle to open up 4C for Aman or Raty or whoever plays their way into that role.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I think the problem is both Blueger and Joshua will be getting offers in the $3m+ range.  We realistically could possibly keep one of them.  I'd keep Joshua and move Suter into the middle to open up 4C for Aman or Raty or whoever plays their way into that role.

They might.    That's the crux of being a good team.    Still a lot of hockey left.   No rush on re-signing anyone.  

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I imagine he'd be offered more than that too, but you never know. He may also allow a bit of a discount to remain on a cup-contending team that he jives with.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 10:04 AM, Johnny said:

I think he is a product of a good system and situation

hes 27 and this year is looking to triple his nhl totals from before this season

i would offer 1.5milx4, easy enough to bury if needed, gives him longer term security but also isnt too much if his play falls back to his average

This is an important point, a lot of this is good coaching.

44 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

This is an important point, a lot of this is good coaching.

Its like when anson carter thought he was hot but turns out he was just a product of the sedins 

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 1/18/2024 at 10:22 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Joshua isn’t a depth piece.  He’s basically a light version of Tom Wilson.  He’s on pace for 22 goals and plays a hard physical game to boot.  He is also one of our top penalty killers.  You don’t just let him walk for nothing, there is nobody else in free agency who can replace him.

Petey, Hronek and then Joshua are the important pieces to sign.  DeSmith is below them along with Zadorov and Myers.  Blueger and Lafferty are depth pieces than can be replaced and could walk.  Cole will be 35 next year so I don’t have a problem with him walking either if we lock up Zadorov…

I agree with this. I do feel we will have problems fitting everyone under the cap. The must haves are Petey, Hronek and Dak. I will actually place Zadorov in that category too.

• Cheers 1

It doesn't matter if he is like Anson Carter or Tom Wilson.

If you offer him 1.5M (which for a 40-pt guy is low balling him... granted this is a career year for him) but other teams offer him 2.5-3M then he really has nothing to think about. Easy decision to make whether he is Carter or Wilson or anyone for that matter.

At least give him a chance to give a hometown discount by offering him 2-2.5M AAV. That way, the other factors like chemistry, camaraderie, structure, familiarity come into consideration.

I do think that Dak is a level higher than your ordinary 3rd liner.

Bottom line is always the cap. Love our current players but someone will walk at the end of the year... I just hope it isn't Hronek, Dak or Zadorov (Petey is RFA).

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Johnny said:

Its like when anson carter thought he was hot but turns out he was just a product of the sedins 

LOL,  Anson Carter and his contract demands. If one needs a good laugh that's always worth revisiting.

Unfortunately, we do not have an Anson Carter situation here. Carter's point totals were a product of playing with the Sedins.

A closer parallel to Joshua this year might be Alexandre Burrough's breakout year, also at the age of 27.

There are a lot of similarities.

And yes, Burroughs got paid quite well after this "breakout".

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kevlar said:

I agree with this. I do feel we will have problems fitting everyone under the cap. The must haves are Petey, Hronek and Dak. I will actually place Zadorov in that category too.

Totally agree.  Those are the 4 must haves.  They have unique qualities that are not easily replaced.  I honestly feel Suter could play where Blueger is and that line with Garland and Joshua wouldn't miss a beat.  I'd pay Joshua the $3M AAV and Zadorov up to $4.5M AAV.  I think I've run these numbers, and it'll be fine cap wise if we let Blueger walk.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Artemus said:

LOL,  Anson Carter and his contract demands. If one needs a good laugh that's always worth revisiting.

Unfortunately, we do not have an Anson Carter situation here. Carter's point totals were a product of playing with the Sedins.

A closer parallel to Joshua this year might be Alexandre Burrough's breakout year, also at the age of 27.

There are a lot of similarities.

And yes, Burroughs got paid quite well after this "breakout".

Burrows got into the league and stuck while improving every year. He had an extremely high IQ

Joshua is better than Carter, but he has been given lots of chances and now it is finally clicking. However hes playing with Garland who when put out against lesser defenders has proven that he is a play driver

joshua is benefiting from Garland and the System much more than the other way around.

To think otherwise and pay him anything more than 2 mil a year would be a very bad move, especially considering Garland may need to be moved in the offseason to ice a competitive d if we keep kuz or trade him for a player of similar worth

• Cheers 1

I agree that we should resign him as he is having a career year here. I could see something like 2.5mil maybe?

However, I'd disagree on it being long-term for the same reason: he is having a career year. We don't know if he can repeat.

Still, he's a rather integral part of the team at this point in time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I agree that we should resign him as he is having a career year here. I could see something like 2.5mil maybe?

However, I'd disagree on it being long-term for the same reason: he is having a career year. We don't know if he can repeat.

Still, he's a rather integral part of the team at this point in time.

I agree

hes a big reason for attitude

just the numbers wont work if he gets much more than 2

• 1 month later...

The Canucks didn't add any new faces on deadline day, but the return of a familiar face could be on its way soon.

According to Brendan Batchelor, GM Patrik Allvin says Dakota Joshua is getting closer to a return and could be back in the lineup in two weeks or less.

The big forward's injury status hasn't been made official, but he's believed to have broken his hand in a fight against Blackhawks' Mackenzie Entwistle in February.

15 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Really think Dak shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. This is his shot playing with Garly. He could quite easily go back to being a 4th line plug on another team. 

The more reason why he would want to cash in?!! People want the best for themselves. You want a raise right? Like everyone else.

Dakota Joshua will try to get as much as he can. Rightfully so. He has worked hard at his craft as has everone has. He needs to get paid for that hard work.

The day I decide to decline a raise for myself is a day that will never happen.