[Proposal] extend Joshua

Joshua's gonna be 28 in May, capfriendly has his career earnings at roughly 1.5M.

23 points in 79 games last season, 26 in 53 thus far, will probably get closer to 35, maybe a bit more. All while being a physical force and annoying to play against. 

If the Canucks want to retain him they may very well have to pay him market value, because more than likely this will be his best chance to secure the bag. Honestly, he'd probably be better off financially exploring UFA.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a team give him 3M or a little more. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Joshua's gonna be 28 in May, capfriendly has his career earnings at roughly 1.5M.

23 points in 79 games last season, 26 in 53 thus far, will probably get closer to 35, maybe a bit more. All while being a physical force and annoying to play against. 

If the Canucks want to retain him they may very well have to pay him market value, because more than likely this will be his best chance to secure the bag. Honestly, he'd probably be better off financially exploring UFA.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a team give him 3M or a little more. 

Yeah with career earnings of ONLY $1.5M, if I were him, I'd be looking for max dollars AND term... $3M x 6 or 7 years... $18M to $21M instead of $1.5M is a life and generational altering contract.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Sorry for this but l don't see any comparison to Podz taking over. DK is more aggressive at this time.

The meat line we have today (3rd) is not one to be tinkered with. No team in this league has that chemistry.

Granted Blue is a vital piece as is Garly.

Garly has 1 year left on his contract , expensive yes, but he can play anywhere. 

Neither Blue or Dak back down , not heavy weights. Yet they will both dance.

Our window is open , Dak has earned his place. 

Dak should consider a deal 3- $ 2.5 and make it to 30 yrs old. For the most part he's been healthy in a role not many can continue to do. A little soft spot from me for a player who gives his all.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I'm hoping we sign him for around $2.25 million for 1-2 years, no lengthy term above 3 years/ no clause/ no going above $2.5 million.  Physical guys often break down and slow down with attrition, so I'd hate if we pay for a potential PF type who's just broken from all the hits and fighting.  Guys like him tend to slow down around 30.  

• Like 1

Dak hasn't played in +5 weeks now and is on LTIR.  The team calls it an 'upper body injury,'

but most would agree that it is his hand.  There hasn't been a sighting of him since he

was hurt, so it's hard to guess where the injury is.  The hand has so many bones, but the

thumb has got to be the worst for a hockey player.  Hopefully he will have a full recovery and

continue his outstanding career season during the playoffs.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Dak hasn't played in +5 weeks now and is on LTIR.  The team calls it an 'upper body injury,'

but most would agree that it is his hand.  There hasn't been a sighting of him since he

was hurt, so it's hard to guess where the injury is.  The hand has so many bones, but the

thumb has got to be the worst for a hockey player.  Hopefully he will have a full recovery and

lol let's hope we have new medical personel then.. the last canuck that suffered a "hand" injury have his career pretty much all but ended.. pearson likely won't get another contract offer and is going to be likely a pto candidate.

19 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol let's hope we have new medical personel then.. the last canuck that suffered a "hand" injury have his career pretty much all but ended.. pearson likely won't get another contract offer and is going to be likely a pto candidate.

You have an odd sense of humour Wai, if you think what happened to Pears is funny.

There's no indication that Dak had any surgery, so I doubt his injury was anywhere near

as serious as Pears'.

I have no doubt that the pain and atrophy to Dak's hand is a major factor as to why it's taking

him so long to join the team.  He hasn't played hockey for more than 5 weeks and we have

no idea what stage of rehab he is in, or when he'll return.

On 3/15/2024 at 7:54 AM, Comox Blaster said:

Three years at $2.5 million.  Yes, No?

maybe

As much as I like him, there is a good possibility that the team will not have the money- after signing guys like

Hronek

Zad

Podz

a back up goalie

and many others

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

You have an odd sense of humour Wai, if you think what happened to Pears is funny.

There's no indication that Dak had any surgery, so I doubt his injury was anywhere near

as serious as Pears'.

I have no doubt that the pain and atrophy to Dak's hand is a major factor as to why it's taking

him so long to join the team.  He hasn't played hockey for more than 5 weeks and we have

no idea what stage of rehab he is in, or when he'll return.

what does that have to do with sense of humour and where did i find pearson injury funny? it's not the first time canucks medical staff had issues with diagnosting or treating injuries hodgson pearson.. Joshua injury again seems to be taking longer than allvin's timeline 10 days to 2 weeks couple weeks ago as RT mentioned couple days ago indicated he's prolly still not ready for a little while. so it's not unreasonable to question the medical staff or if they are still the same medical staff.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

what does that have to do with sense of humour and where did i find pearson injury funny? it's not the first time canucks medical staff had issues with diagnosting or treating injuries hodgson pearson.. Joshua injury again seems to be taking longer than allvin's timeline 10 days to 2 weeks couple weeks ago as RT mentioned couple days ago indicated he's prolly still not ready for a little while. so it's not unreasonable to question the medical staff or if they are still the same medical staff.

Must have been the Lol at the beginning of your response. 

I had the understanding that Pears' problems were related to surgeries.  Do the Canucks have

their own surgeons for the team?  Is that part of their medical staff?

Hodson played in Buffalo for 3 years and was finally diagnosed by a private sector doctor after

he joined the Preds. 

So I don't know what the level of care, or the medical responsibilities of a hockey club's medical

staff are expected to provide. 

13 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Must have been the Lol at the beginning of your response. 

I had the understanding that Pears' problems were related to surgeries.  Do the Canucks have

their own surgeons for the team?  Is that part of their medical staff?

Hodson played in Buffalo for 3 years and was finally diagnosed by a private sector doctor after

he joined the Preds. 

So I don't know what the level of care, or the medical responsibilities of a hockey club's medical

staff are expected to provide. 

i think most teams have their own medical staff that deals with diagnosting and after care and then have a list of approved surgeon for the surgeries hodgson was misdiagnost with a bludging disc that made him delayed his surgery by 2 months iirc

Edited by wai_lai416

12 hours ago, higgyfan said:

It's his pinky finger...

2 priorities  Joshua and Hronek. The rest either fit in or leave. 

However Zadorov is something our defense has not had in years. He would be my fit in .

Hronek  is accumulated points because of Hugh's. Damn sure no other team has a better set pairing.

Joshua can play any line but prefer his Garland and Bleuger pairing. No other team today has that chemistry in their lineup. 

• Like 1

Drance today saying the comp is Nick Paul.... not sure I agree with that one. Paul can play C, and is a fair bit bigger than Joshua. Paul at 3.15 AAV would be the ceiling I'd want to pay out for sure, and not for as long. 

• Like 1

Maybe it’s rose coloured glasses but I think Joshua is a gem that we can’t let walk. I do not share in the opinion that he is easily replaceable if he asks for 3 million x 2 or 3.

i think management has to match that. A late big guy bloomer We haven’t had that kind of potential since Bertuzzi . Not saying he’s equal to Bert in talent, but we haven’t had anyone even close to a forward like that to round it our roster since

On 1/18/2024 at 10:06 AM, Tank said:

Every team is looking for the next Tom Wilson.

And Canucks has only one player who is close-- Joshua.

He has a career year, no doubt. But he will back to average 20-30 points a season. A solid bottom 6 we shall not let walk in the summer.

Without him, I can feel we will be pushed around in Playoff.

any other F can protect our key players?

2mil x 3 years.

image.thumb.png.2e8a05df8a9050a59be7c07095a66048.png

If your proposal is to extend Joshua, you better be starting at a number that is at least reasonable for him to accept.

At this point, I suspect he’ll cost at least $3.25M over 4 years. If that’s too much for you, then your proposal should be to let him walk.