PGT - Canucks at Bruins - 02/08/2024

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Not to find a new player to start looking at, but now that Kuzmenko is with the Lames, Aman is the odd man out IMO.   Not a big fan.    Looks bigger than he's listed, but for me anyways, we need our guys to play their size and some.   Why is it, that a guy Garlands size, has more snarl then someone who looks so big on the ice, but plays a tame game?   Bugs me.   Lafferty at least goes to the net.     

Team needs a bruiser on that line, doesn't need to do much more then that, Aman sure doesn't.   Wearing 88 is the toughest thing about him, otherwise, well not sure what else he has to offer.    Sure hope Allvin and Co, are looking at that as well.   

I have 0 problem with Aman if he can start playing like the Fins do. Just needs to play with an edge.

Right now he's playing like the Sedins did in the 2011 finals. Too nice. 

Like I said, we need a crash course on what it means to be a Canuck, and all the heartbreak that comes with wearing the crest. All the identities we are trying to stay away from. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I have 0 problem with Aman if he can start playing like the Fins do. Just needs to play with an edge.

Right now he's playing like the Sedins did in the 2011 finals. Too nice. 

Tough to do given he was born in Sweden.   I do have a problem with Aman given we are going for it.   Ryan Walter could slap on his skates and do it more justice.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

I'm just glad that we get another crack at these goofs in 2 weeks, Should tell a lot about the team.

If we shit the bed again in 2 weeks, I think it'll slap us in the face that this team isn't quite ready for a deep playoff run yet. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Not to find a new player to start looking at, but now that Kuzmenko is with the Lames, Aman is the odd man out IMO.   Not a big fan.    Looks bigger than he's listed, but for me anyways, we need our guys to play their size and some.   Why is it, that a guy Garlands size, has more snarl then someone who looks so big on the ice, but plays a tame game?   Bugs me.   Lafferty at least goes to the net.     

Team needs a bruiser on that line, doesn't need to do much more then that, Aman sure doesn't.   Wearing 88 is the toughest thing about him, otherwise, well not sure what else he has to offer.    Sure hope Allvin and Co, are looking at that as well.   

Finding a player to take Suter's position naturally moves Suter back down to 4C and Aman out of the lineup.  I'd suspect PA/JR are looking at that option more than just replacing Aman.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Tough to do given he was born in Sweden.   I do have a problem with Aman given we are going for it.   Ryan Walter could slap on his skates and do it more justice.   

You can be born anywhere and play like the Fins do. It's not genetic. There are swedes that play tough. Aman isn't one of them and at 24 years old, he needs to start adapting. 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

If we shit the bed again in 2 weeks, I think it'll slap us in the face that this team isn't quite ready for a deep playoff run yet. 

Losing a couple games to Boston isn't going to define the season.    

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Finding a player to take Suter's position naturally moves Suter back down to 4C and Aman out of the lineup.  I'd suspect PA/JR are looking at that option more than just replacing Aman.

Bingo. 

Getting to the playoffs, and maximizing home ice for sure matters.   Right now we still need to work around the edges, to give them a real shot of getting to the finish line.    That's a conference final IMO.   Anything more is gravy.   We will get another shot next year.    It's a reasonable trade off for the core, Lindholm as a rental to win two rounds of hockey.   Canucks will need to beat 3 contenders to win a cup this year.   They have a shot.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seriously doubtful we move Mik. Not easy to find his skill set and size. 

For $4.75M I'm pretty sure we can find a defensive forward that has scored 1 goal in the last 23 games.  Pretty ridiculous that we have a top 6 guy that has produced 1 goal in over a 1/4 of a season.

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Losing a couple games to Boston isn't going to define the season.    

That's not it though.  It's about the mental makeup of this team, and the desire to win.  Losing like they did last night should have them firing on all cylinders the next time these teams meet.  If they come out flat again, then I question that mental aspect of their game.  That 'killer instinct' to win.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

For $4.75M I'm pretty sure we can find a defensive forward that has scored 1 goal in the last 23 games.  Pretty ridiculous that we have a top 6 guy that has produced 1 goal in over a 1/4 of a season.

Yes.   And we need his cap for Lindholm if that's where the club leans this off season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's not it though.  It's about the mental makeup of this team, and the desire to win.  Losing like they did last night should have them firing on all cylinders the next time these teams meet.  If they come out flat again, then I question that mental aspect of their game.  That 'killer instinct' to win.

It's just one game.    Let's not over think it.   If we come out flat again - but still keep our position overall,  it shouldn't bother us.   First in our division, is what this team needs to try and achieve.   Then re-set, and take on whomever we get next.   Chances we play Boston in the Final are pretty slim.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

It's just one game.  

We'll see how they bounce back from yesterday's game.  That was a terrible effort all around... except maybe the Garland line as usual.

• Cheers 2

Just now, HKSR said:

We'll see how they bounce back from yesterday's game.  That was a terrible effort all around... except maybe the Garland line as usual.

Yes.  So far aces in that regard.   

• Like 1

As a side note.   Wasn't Demko going for a club record last night?   If Tochett was thinking about that sort of thing, he'd of started De-Smith.    That's a good coach.   He's not.   Instead he tied the late great "Dan the Man Cloutier".   Passed Luongo though.   And let's not forget who he was beating shall we.   Wasn't a bunch of plug teams.     Wonder if that played into it a bit.   Good lesson for Demko.    During those 9 games, he was pretty spectacular. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Any superstar goes through drought periods where the points dry up for a while; Where the stats look alarming, and the partners have change. multiple times.

Still Pettersson himself will be upset with these numbers for more then one reason I would think..

Edited by Rip The Mesh

35 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I don't care much about the score, as I truly believe that Boston played a good game, but nothing extraordinary, and we played the worst game of the year. When we're on, this game can easily have another outcome. Here are multiple takeaways that frustrate me;

- Lafferty and Aman had absolutely no hustle. That's the entire identity of our 4th line. Do something.

- Aman getting headlocked and doing nothing is a problem. We need someone with grit and snarl, not another passenger that's going to turtle when things get tougher and more physical. We need to seriously show our players history lessons of past Canucks teams, and the identity we are trying to stay away from. 

- Pettersson looked horrendous. He was the worst player on the ice, by far. Lethargic, not a care in the world, no hustle, no nothing. 

- Boeser floated all night. 

- Demko was let hung out to dry on what could have been a historical evening for him and the team. Absolutely pathetic effort going into a heavily mediatized game. No pride, no effort on a night they're supposed to prove the doubters wrong. 

Frustrating game to watch, as I truly believe that with more effort, the game could have easily swayed in our favor. 

I would say this assessment is bang on. 

Weird that the team couldn't get up for such a big game. Even RT said it was a big game. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   Also, I really doubt this team is going on a losing streak.   They've shown their mettle in that regard, when Soucy first went down without Zadarov.    Two games twice so far.   Not sure we should expect this team to win every game against the best teams in the league.   There are few in the history of the NHL, that have done that.      Boston is coming off one of the best seasons ever, and like the Wings, lost in the first round to what was considered, a middling team (Detroit even worse, a below average team).   

Wasn't our night, or one of our better performances.   Re-set, and get ready for the next one.   Tough to have a short term memory as a fan.    Get it was Boston.   We get them again in a couple weeks at home.    Revenge is a meal best served with a blow-out infront of our fans. 

They were as overconfident as we fans. I thought we'd kick their assess, but nope. We were so far off our normal game, an AHL team could have givin us a run.

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

As a side note.   Wasn't Demko going for a club record last night?   If Tochett was thinking about that sort of thing, he'd of started De-Smith.    That's a good coach.   He's not.   Instead he tied the late great "Dan the Man Cloutier".   Passed Luongo though.   And let's not forget who he was beating shall we.   Wasn't a bunch of plug teams.     Wonder if that played into it a bit.   Good lesson for Demko.    During those 9 games, he was pretty spectacular. 

Wait ... RT is a bad coach because he played his best goalie against the best team and didn't try to get him some meaningless Van record?

12 hours ago, End2End said:

Just because you can’t get over something that happened in 2011 doesn’t mean a bunch of players who never played in the series should hold on also. 

Every team has bad games….move on. Try therapy if your still struggling with the past.

Dude, seriously go fuck yourself. 

You have one response to anyone expressing regret of losing the cup in 2011. "Go to therapy hurhur" "move on". 

There's people out there still talking about '82 and '94, and having been old enough to remember 2011 ( I was 2 in '94) I get their pain, it's called empathy, maybe you should try it instead of trolling people.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Wait ... RT is a bad coach because he played his best goalie against the best team and didn't try to get him some meaningless Van record?

Probably didn't even know about that if the media didn't point it out.    That's a "good coach" over there. 

Well that was a real stinker. Forgetting about the loss, Petey has been so inconsistent and just downright bad through a few too many stretches over his career. I think that precludes him from a superstar level contract, and talk of a long term $12m type deal makes me nervous. That’s what Hughes deserves, he’s the real superstar on this team, and Petey is a good notch below that.

It may be my post-loss grumpiness talking, but at this point I think the team could legitimately be better off trading him for a huge haul if his contract demands are in that $11m+ range. I will happily change my tune if he shows up big time in the playoffs when it really matters. 

45 minutes ago, HKSR said:

In that case, the same could be said about Boston for their next game against the Flames😉