What happened with Lowry and Di Giuseppe is why we need more size on the 4th line

15 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

If I'm Allvin, I'm calling Phoenix for one of McBain or Crouse. 

Aman/DGS/Mikheyev are good forecheckers but are way too soft for playoff hockey in the West.

We need physical grinders on the bottom 6 badly. 

I can see Allvin checking in on Greenway. He's big and physical. Could be a good add. 

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

If I'm Allvin, I'm calling Phoenix for one of McBain or Crouse. 

Aman/DGS/Mikheyev are good forecheckers but are way too soft for playoff hockey in the West.

We need physical grinders on the bottom 6 badly. 

Arizona will never trade Crouse... he has 19 goals and 29 points.

McBain maybe...  but he is probably too expensive too.  And not really big or tough enough... only 200 lbs over that 6' 3" frame.

They don't need a lot of skill... just a player with size and skating who likes to hit and fight.

• Upvote 1

The team is fine. You don't need to invest in a player who can only bring physical play at a cost of a more complete game.

There are a few interchangeable parts in the bottom six that could possibly get squeezed out so an upgrade may be coming but the Canucks are not in trouble physically. They are one of the more physical teams in the league already.

2 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Arizona will never trade Crouse... he has 19 goals and 29 points.

McBain maybe...  but he is probably too expensive too.  And not really big or tough enough... only 200 lbs over that 6' 3" frame.

They don't need a lot of skill... just a player with size and skating who likes to hit and fight.

Jack McBain is 6’4” 218 pounds according to CapFriendly.  He had a really goof fight with Jarred Tinordi a few weeks ago.  He also has 16 points.  He had 26 points last year and also took over 800 faceoffs, so could play centre or left wing.  He also had over 300 hits, so he would be great on the 4th line.  Huge upgrade on PDG.

I’d say he’s a bigger and tougher version of Joshua.  They are both similar in skill but McBain can also play centre.  McBain is signed for one more year at $1.6 million, so he could replace Joshua next season if Joshua walks in UFA.  Or we could keep both…

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Not that he's the one regarding the ops subject matter. But Phil the thrill be in our midst and could be the missing ingredient. Yea I know. He ain't that physical bruiser' y'all be pining for ( Myself included!), but he got hands, man. And wily playoff experience up the ying yang! 

I agree we need more size in the forward group. Gonna be hard to find though

Every gm in the league knows it and will cost us big to aquire. 

That fn powerplay is a huge concern. If we don't sort that and find some consistency we'll be one and done in the playoffs. 

Yep.   Keep saying this and won't stop, the teams done an amazing job of making it to the playoffs.   There is a reason why guys like Lowry and Maroon,  Jeannot are coveted by contenders.   Used to be Mike Keane in the 90's and Claude Lemuiex.   We need Deslauriers.   It's also one of the reason's I was so pissed we waived Gadjovich after a great pre-season.   Old school hockey players are hard to find.   EP and Lindholm need a Sergio Momesso.   Joshua has some of this, look what happened to his hand ... sucks.   He can't be the only guy in our forward group.   Miller's line is fine, he's going to respond as needed.   Fourth lines today, are timid and fast, fringe skill.      One of the things that rubbed me personally the wrong way, during the JB era, the team sucked but didn't go out and draft these guys OR bring any in.    Aside from Gadjovich.    Look at him now.    Two fights last night against TB.   

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

The team is fine. You don't need to invest in a player who can only bring physical play at a cost of a more complete game.

There are a few interchangeable parts in the bottom six that could possibly get squeezed out so an upgrade may be coming but the Canucks are not in trouble physically. They are one of the more physical teams in the league already.

These days, if you can't play a regular fourth line shift, you don't make it on fighting alone.   PDG, and Aman ... well they aren't  Motte effort levels either.     We have physical defenseman, Soucy, Myers, Cole and Zadarov.   Our forward group isn't soft, but for sure we can find 20-25 points in other ways, and absolutely it matters in the playoffs.   We don't need to add another top six player.   Rotating the 6th guy up and down from the fourth line has to happen.   Maybe Podz is ready.    There is nobody on the fourth line that is sacred or safe.   Maybe Laffery.     I'd rather have a 20 point feared physical force of nature on the fourth line, the a 20 point player who wilts and can't play the Sergio Momesso when moved up into the top six.     Wouldn't you? 

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sam Lafferty has worn out his welcome.  Not sure he has done anything since he was taken off the Petey line.  I could see him being replaced with someone who’s bigger and nastier.  

For me it's Aman.   At least Lafferty can score goals when he's moved up.   That said i'd be happy to trade him too.    Pius Suter ideally is our fourth line center.     Hogs with Miller, and find a tough board guy who's willing to drop them or take a two minute roughing penalty the moment anyone looks sideways at EP or Lindholm.     Foligno would be a prize.   Know Perry had history with our club, and did a bad thing, but someone like him would have been nice too.   Nice guys finish last etc.    Our D is for sure big enough, and in a 7 game series, should grind down opposing forwards.   

It shouldn't cost the farm either.   Reaves was signed for a reason despite being a relic really at this point.   Marroon is slow.   Too bad...but wouldn't be opposed to adding him.   Gadjovich is the guy we should have, which makes this worse.    Definitely don't want a Taylor Pyatt.   Rather add a Motte.. nothing is uninspiring as watching a big guy play like he's 4 feet tall. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Make no mistake, what we saw happen when 6' 5" Lowry started to run around is exactly what will happen in the playoffs.

Give Di Giuseppe credit, he stood up for his team mate, but without the size, it was a beat down.

Canucks do not have enough size on the 4th line, team needs a big winger who can be physical and who can fight.... also needs speed... no slowpokes.

We don't need to pay a lot for a goalscorer, the team has enough scoring, but we need to add toughness and size in a forward.

This is not just to help out the 4th line, it is because during the playoffs, when things get rough, a big body may be needed on Pettersson's line to prevent cheapshots.

Team has good size on the D, but the forwards are generally undersized, Miller's line excepted... both he and Boeser are good size and can't really be bullied.

Should not give up the farm for this... just a journeyman who has size and speed and likes to fight.

No it won't cost the farm.   Non-playoff teams pick these guys up (sign them), for two reasons.   One to keep their green young players from getting run (Matheson, too many vowels), and because they know that the phones will ring come playoff time.   A big failure on JB part.   Hope Allvin doesn't do the same.   This time we are on the side of the phone that should be calling about this sort of thing.   Vegas, WNP, EDM and Dallas.    We likely have to go through two of these guys to make the final.   If not, then COL.   Who's probably the only one of the five other contenders (six if you believe LA is still one),  that we could get away without a physical upgrade in the forward group.   Just Manson to worry about really.     

It's not a lot to ask.   Won't cost us the farm.  On that, if we aren't willing to go there, bring up Podz and accept he has to stay (waivers). 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

For me it's Aman.   At least Lafferty can score goals when he's moved up.   That said i'd be happy to trade him too.    Pius Suter ideally is our fourth line center.     Hogs with Miller, and find a tough board guy who's willing to drop them or take a two minute roughing penalty the moment anyone looks sideways at EP or Lindholm.     Foligno would be a prize.   Know Perry had history with our club, and did a bad thing, but someone like him would have been nice too.   Nice guys finish last etc.    Our D is for sure big enough, and in a 7 game series, should grind down opposing forwards.   

It shouldn't cost the farm either.   Reaves was signed for a reason despite being a relic really at this point.   Marroon is slow.   Too bad...but wouldn't be opposed to adding him.   Gadjovich is the guy we should have, which makes this worse.    Definitely don't want a Taylor Pyatt.   Rather add a Motte.. nothing is uninspiring as watching a big guy play like he's 4 feet tall. 

McBain actually is currently centering Arizona's top line with Clayton Keller and Nick Schmaltz.  I did not know this.  I think he could play in the top 6 and not just be a grinder on the 4th line.  

I'd be all in on getting McBain and playing him with Petey and Lindholm and moving Hoglander to the Miller line.  Suter can then be our 4C.

How Jack McBain Emerged as Coyotes' top Center - The Hockey News Arizona Coyotes News, Analysis and More

Jack McBain has emerged as the Arizona Coyotes’ top center, now on a line alongside Clayton Keller and Nick Schmaltz.

While starting the season on the team’s fourth line, Jack McBain is suddenly playing with arguably the Coyotes’ two most lethal offensive weapons.

How did this come to be?

McBain was sidelined with a lower-body injury for a large part of the season, but in the games he has played, the 24-year-old forward continues to show promise.

In 24 games, McBain has six goals, four assists and 10 points.

He is a true power-forward. Standing at 6 '3'’, McBain plays a hard-nosed game as he is physical, always fights for loose pucks and is never afraid to get into the dirty areas.

For a big man, McBain also possesses a smooth offensive touch and is a real solid skater which helps when playing with players like Keller and Schmaltz.

A big reason for coach André Tourigny moving McBain to the first line was due to his strong net presence.

McBain is able to use his size to his advantage and play a little bit of a bully type style in front of the net, screening the opposing goaltender and allowing for a potential deflection or rebound opportunity.

Since Barrett Hayton suffered an upper-body injury, this first line center position has been up for grabs and time will tell if McBain can hold onto it for the foreseeable future until Hayton presumably returns. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • MillerTime 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

McBain actually is currently centering Arizona's top line with Clayton Keller and Nick Schmaltz.  I did not know this.  I think he could play in the top 6 and not just be a grinder on the 4th line.  

I'd be all in on getting McBain and playing him with Petey and Lindholm and moving Hoglander to the Miller line.  Suter can then be our 4C.

How Jack McBain Emerged as Coyotes' top Center - The Hockey News Arizona Coyotes News, Analysis and More

Jack McBain has emerged as the Arizona Coyotes’ top center, now on a line alongside Clayton Keller and Nick Schmaltz.

While starting the season on the team’s fourth line, Jack McBain is suddenly playing with arguably the Coyotes’ two most lethal offensive weapons.

How did this come to be?

McBain was sidelined with a lower-body injury for a large part of the season, but in the games he has played, the 24-year-old forward continues to show promise.

In 24 games, McBain has six goals, four assists and 10 points.

He is a true power-forward. Standing at 6 '3'’, McBain plays a hard-nosed game as he is physical, always fights for loose pucks and is never afraid to get into the dirty areas.

For a big man, McBain also possesses a smooth offensive touch and is a real solid skater which helps when playing with players like Keller and Schmaltz.

A big reason for coach André Tourigny moving McBain to the first line was due to his strong net presence.

McBain is able to use his size to his advantage and play a little bit of a bully type style in front of the net, screening the opposing goaltender and allowing for a potential deflection or rebound opportunity.

Since Barrett Hayton suffered an upper-body injury, this first line center position has been up for grabs and time will tell if McBain can hold onto it for the foreseeable future until Hayton presumably returns. 

I'm sure Keller loves playing with this guy.   What would the ask be?  Lekkermaki?   Doubt it... probably a second though and a B level prospect. 

Edited by IBatch

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sam Lafferty has worn out his welcome.  Not sure he has done anything since he was taken off the Petey line.  I could see him being replaced with someone who’s bigger and nastier.  

We seem to get a few to many players like this. They seem like a steal at first.

First little while they come out guns a blazing,then as time goes on they become invisible.

• Cheers 1