[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

7 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Miller is the better player but we have to keep petey. Hope he doesn't screw us

Petey has shown he can play with intensity...maybe this has all been weighing on him. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that all this crap being behind him will allow him to settle down and focus on being the best player he can be.

He is only 25, he had selke votes and 100pts last  year.... If he's committing to us for 8 years and his prime, he deserves our respect, and I'm starting to believe alot of this was media driven crap.

Dhali said the Canucks were very frustrated that Petey wasn't even at the table.

Now its "imminent" he's signing an 8 year deal.

As someone who's negotiated alot of business deals and contracts, these take months of lawyering. So both of those (not at the table and now almost done) cannot both be true.

IMHO this was media nonense and Dhali has lost any credibility he had with me

Edited by Bardown
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Iron Man said:

And also, "We should trade him" --> "I'm glad he's staying"

I stand by everything I've said idc. With that said, hopefully he goes on an absolute tear after signing and leads us to lord stanley. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Sounds more like the media made up BS that they weren't at the table...a deal getting done takes months, a lot of legal back and forth..if they are close Dhali is full of shit

As a fan ive been going by what was said by player and team. Fully expecting something at end of season.

Ive heard standard NHL player contracts are not complicated documents. Its amatter of agreeing on term and annual value. Gone are the days where little add ons and extras can go into it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Petey has shown he can play with intensity...maybe this has all been weighing on him. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that all this crap being behind him will allow him to settle down and focus on being the best player he can be.

He is only 25, he had selke votes and 100pts last  year.... If he's committing to us for 8 years and his prime, he deserves our respect, and I'm starting to believe alot of this was media driven crap. Dhali said the Canucks were very frustrated that Petey wasn't even at the table. Now its "imminent" he's signing an 8 year deal. As someone who's negotiated alot of business deals and contracts, these take months of lawyering. IMHO this was media nonense and Dhali has lost any credibility he had with me

All solid points! It's interesting to hear how long deals can take just from the legal side of things. What industry are you involved in if I may ask? 

1 minute ago, Dom said:

I stand by everything I've said idc. With that said, hopefully he goes on an absolute tear after signing and leads us to lord stanley. 

Rick Dhaliwal owes Petey and the Canucks an apology for turning the fan base on Petey.... dude made up crap...They should not allow him into the dressing room.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

As a fan ive been going by what was said by player and team. Fully expecting something at end of season.

Ive heard standard NHL player contracts are not complicated documents. Its amatter of agreeing on term and annual value. Gone are the days where little add ons and extras can go into it. 

To an extent, yes. But there's still negotiations and you forget lawyers get paid by the hour. they like to drag things out. I've been on calls where lawyers debate 3 words for 12 hours. Yes it's no M&A negotiation but its also not boilerplate and a couple of days.

Edited by Bardown
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Miller is obviously far better than an $8M player so it's not fair to use that and claim that Petey should be there. Miller's deals was a steal the day he signed if and if he keeps being amazing, it'll be amazing for a long time. The whole idea of paying players based on what other players get is flawed because it assumes that every player is playing exactly equal to their cap hit, which is rarely true.

The difference is in their ages.  Miller is soon to be 31 and has 6 more seasons after this one so he will be 37 when his deal expires.  He will probably not be playing at a high level at the end.

Petey, if he signs for 8 years, his deal will expire when he is 33.  He will probably play at a high level for the entire contract.  

In my book, that's why Petey will get more.  That, and inflation.  Petey's contract may be signed 2 years later.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Sounds more like the media made up BS that they weren't at the table...a deal getting done takes months, a lot of legal back and forth..if they are close Dhali is full of shit

They ain't negotiating contracts from scratch here. 

It is literally plug and play as these are standard player contracts that was mostly negotiated into the cba. 

All they have to do is really decide what clause to include for trade protection and how total value of contracts are split up. Doesn't take months to do it. If it is as you say then why we seeing players sign first day or even week in FA. 

Edited by 24K

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

The difference is in their ages.  Miller is soon to be 31 and has 6 more seasons after this one so he will be 37 when his deal expires.  He will probably not be playing at a high level at the end.

Petey, if he signs for 8 years, his deal will expire when he is 33.  He will probably play at a high level for the entire contract.  

In my book, that's why Petey will get more.  That, and inflation.  Petey's contract may be signed 2 years later.

Yup we get Petey's prime and key UFA years, you always pay up for that assuming its 8 years.

• Cheers 1

Just now, 24K said:

It is literally plug and play as these are standard player contracts that was mostly negotiated into the cba. 

All they have to do is really decide what clause to include for trade protection and how total value of contracts are split up. Doesn't take months to do it. If it is as you say then why we seeing players sign first day or week in FA. 

Emily C has probably had multiple options ready for months 

Just now, 24K said:

All they have to do is really decide what clause to include for trade protection and how total value of contracts are split up. Doesn't take months to do it. If it is as you say then why we seeing players sign first day or week in FA. 

Because players are allowed to negotiate weeks prior just not sign until UFA. Its not boilerplate, its also not a billion dollar merger.

10 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

If Pettey signs for 8 years he can pick the number. 
How much he takes is up to him. Management has shown him they can do some good things. 
How's much cap he leaves in his wake is up to him. 
‘Same with Q when he is up next. Take whatever you want, what PA has to work with is what the 2 of them leave behind.  
‘It goes both ways. You want to win, so do we all. 

I am hoping that Petey signs a Crosby-like deal.  That is, less than market value so they can afford better players.

Whether Petey signs for $10M or $12M, he's going to be filthy stinking rich regardless.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

16 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Wouldnt affect what they can spend at TDL but would affect on which UFA's they will be able to re-sign this summer. So they know who they need to move at the TDL for cheaper guys.

It could affect what they do at the deadline if they are interested in a player with term left on his deal, which would affect next year's cap...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

He hasn't been playing like a $12M player for some time.  Miller is better and consistently has more TOI and scores at a higher rate.  He signed for $8M 2 summers ago.  What's the new rate for Petey?

They showed some highlights of his after the game last night.  I wonder where THAT guy is?

As I recall, there were a lot of fans that didn't want JT to be re-signed and didn't think he

was deserving of the 8m.  Obviously, if JT were to sign a contract today, he would get

a much bigger contract $.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Crabcakes said:

I am hoping that Petey signs a Crosby-like deal.  That is, less than market value so they can afford better players.

Whether Petey signs for $10M or $12M, he's going to be filthy stinking rich regardless.

I doubt he'll take a discount but who knows. Maybe if he's been told we have Guentzel but you have to leave money on the table to resign him....