[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Miller is obviously far better than an $8M player so it's not fair to use that and claim that Petey should be there. Miller's deals was a steal the day he signed if and if he keeps being amazing, it'll be amazing for a long time. The whole idea of paying players based on what other players get is flawed because it assumes that every player is playing exactly equal to their cap hit, which is rarely true.

Production wise how and why would/should we pay EP 4 million more than JT...just age? Seems a slippery slope where we end up like the Leafs core for tens of millions with an awkward cap distribution? Is EP more valuable than TD QH JT and what later FH NZ EL's gonna need? 

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

" He won't negotiate till  the off season"

now  " close to deal"  which I suppose could be true- maybe he is about to sign a deal he didn't negotiate;  but his agent did?

Which EP told EF on the barge in Sweden this last summer. A handful of time later Pat Brisson saying they were quite open to negotiating during the the season. Is there a disconnect here? 

Edited by Catman
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I was looking at Nylander's stats and cap to compare to Petey. Dude is 3 inches shorter and roughly 20 pounds heavier. Makes me so sad. Lol. Petey is a top 3 talent in the league, easy, if he bulked up.

The bottom line is:  would you trade Petey for Willy?

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I was looking at Nylander's stats and cap to compare to Petey. Dude is 3 inches shorter and roughly 20 pounds heavier. Makes me so sad. Lol. Petey is a top 3 talent in the league, easy, if he bulked up.

Exactly 

he’d take over games 

8 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

What are the odds he signs NOT an 8 year deal ? 🫠  he does like to bet on himself it seems

The reports sound like it'll be 8 years.  At this point they probably have the dollars sorted out and are just working out the structure including salary vs signing bonuses, NMCs, etc.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I can’t help but wonder what JT is going to do or how he’s gonna respond if we pay Petey more than him… Because JT is a far better player at this point in time… Totally out performing him in every aspect of the game

Doubt JT cares at this point.  He's 30.  He wants a cup more than anything else.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • MillerTime 1

17 minutes ago, Catman said:

Production wise how and why would/should we pay EP 4 million more than JT...just age? Seems a slippery slope where we end up like the Leafs core for tens of millions with an awkward cap distribution? Is EP more valuable than TD QH JT and what later FH NZ EL's gonna need? 

Which EP told EF on the barge in Sweden this last summer. A handful of time later Pat Brisson saying they were quite open to negotiating during the the season. Is there a disconnect here? 

because JT is not a 8 million dollar player? he's prolly closer to a 9 9.5mil player but his latter years the final 3-4 he's prolly going to be a sub 4-5mil player.. say if he signed for 4 years at 9.5.. there's no guarante he even get 5mil in the latter 3 if he was to re-sign.. and even if he does that's still less than  8x7.. so he took the safe path. the major difference between the EP and JT deal.. you are pretty much guaranteed EP at his prime/peak during the entire contract vs JT prime/peak during maybe 50% of his contract.. if by your standard.. then there should be no one signing a contract more than jack hughes or quinn hughes in the nhl ever until their contract expires because both took a gamble on their contract and lost?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Catman said:

Miller was signed during the cap freeze era.  The recent signings are showing a substanial increase in the

salary cap.  If JT was signing his contract this year, he would be in for big $; due to the cap increase and his

hugely improved game. 

Goalies (Demko) rarely get the $ that star forwards sign for.  QH will undoubtably get a larger $ because

he is the best player on the team and will be signing 3yrs from now, so the cap will have increased.

The other players you added are not core players, so their contracts will not be in the league of

Petey, Quinn and Demko (JT is core, but his contract reflects the time it was signed). The other

players will get an increase in $, due to improved play AND due to the increase in salary cap.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

And now for something completely different

what’s with these ads at the top of the screen…

Good grief…

41F493E2-5952-4DEF-870B-865FFCCE6C09.png

I get some wild ones.  
Tshirts with racist sayings on them.  
Giant horns with nips poking out.  
Spanks for insanely curvy women.    
hahahahah

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I hear what you’re saying… Everybody has a role to play… But I would say right now that JT is the more valuable player of the two…

JT right now is playing amazing.. but in terms of valuable?? i dunno when EP struggles and or doesn't end up on the score sheet the canucks have a far worse record than when JT struggles and doesn't end up on the score sheet.. coincident EP struggling the past couple weeks the canucks are struggling yet JT have been amazing but the canucks are still struggling? EP might not have the flashy impact JT miller is providing right now, but overall the canucks have a worse record when EP is struggling than they do when hughes or jt struggles

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Doubt JT cares at this point.  He's 30.  He wants a cup more than anything else.

Once you get over $50mil its probably just gravy for some guys and winning is most important along with family time. JT seems like that type of guy

11 minutes ago, Wing said:

Maybe we need to thank the media for stirring stuff up. Petey not wanting to negotiate during season is causing more of a distraction for him. 

Thank the media??? - This to me is just ridiculous - the main reason this is a distraction is because of the  "Media" that need their clicks, tweets, BS, etc for their income purposes. Constantly needing something negative or controversial to bring up daily...I despise it. I wish Petey and the team could just focus on actual Hockey and the important things. 

There is no real media anymore

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, flat land fish said:

How about that model, greasy unwashed hair, depressed outlook on life.  

Those are dreads homie.  
She is a new aged hippy.  
I can almost smell her patchouli oils from here 🤢

Having said that, she is a rocket and if that hippy wanted to do a drum circle in my backyard, I’d allow it 

• Haha 4