[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

1 minute ago, Bardown said:

Because players are allowed to negotiate weeks prior just not sign until UFA. Its not boilerplate, its also not a billion dollar merger.

They technically aren't allowed to negotiate beforehand now or years prior. It was only a season or two that the league allowed it and we see it all time before then.

You are mixing your experience with something completely unrelated. Lawyers already went through standard contracts with fine comb already during cba. Only part they have to check is if the numbers a filled in correctly and that doesn't take months. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It could affect what they do at the deadline if they are interested in a player with term left on his deal, which would affect next year's cap...

Exactly, so if we know we cannot sign Zaderov we need to shop him for a reasonable big D with term that is affordable.

Same with Lindholm, even Hronek.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, 24K said:

They technically aren't allowed to negotiate beforehand now or years prior. It was only a season or two that the league allowed it and we see it all time before then.

You are mixing your experience with something completely unrelated. Lawyers already went through standard contracts with fine comb already during cba. Only part they have to check is if the numbers a filled in correctly and that doesn't take months. 

Doesn't sound like you've worked with lawyers buddy....we agree to disagree...find me a lawyer who does things quickly, and I'll find you a lawyer driving a skoda.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I am hoping that Petey signs a Crosby-like deal.  That is, less than market value so they can afford better players.

Whether Petey signs for $10M or $12M, he's going to be filthy stinking rich regardless.

Crosby signed his deal before the 8 year limit came into effect.  It's a 12 year deal and the last 3 years he's only making $3m a year. That was done to drag the cap hit down and it was still 14.5% percent of the cap at the time.  So long story/short. He can't sign a Crisby like deal and even if he could it would still be a $12.7m cap hit. Lol 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Doesn't sound like you've worked with lawyers buddy....we agree to disagree...find me a lawyer who does things quickly, and I'll find you a lawyer driving a skoda.

We are talking corporate lawyers here at least team and league side. They get paid a salary not hourly. 

This ain't a lawyer you go hire for your small business contracts. 

Edited by 24K

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

As I recall, there were a lot of fans that didn't want JT to be re-signed and didn't think he

was deserving of the 8m.  Obviously, if JT were to sign a contract today, he would get

a much bigger contract $.

That's because they could only sign one of Miller or Horvat.  Horvat was younger and would likely net a better return in a trade but who saw Miller with 99 points?  They were pretty similar before that happened and Millers time horizon was shorter.

But anyhow I started this comparison between Miller and Petey because this season he is outperforming Petey.  Shall we say that Miller is mature and has reached his ceiling while Petey has not yet reached his ceiling?

45 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Look how the story has changed.

Look how some of the posts have changed- and will continue to change in this thread.

Going from " He won't negotiate till off season' to "told you all,  it'll get done"

overnight.

In fairness, a lot of it stemmed from Petey saying he didn't want to negotiate until the season is over... thus holding up the team from moving forward with whatever plans they had.  I guarantee you it's not a coincidence that this is happening a week before the TDL.  Pastrnak did the same thing with Boston (signing just before the TDL).

Vancouver Canucks, Elias Pettersson Making Progress On Extension

February 28th, 2024 at 6:50pm CST • By Brennan McClain

According to Frank Seravalli of The Daily Faceoff, the Vancouver Canucks and forward Elias Pettersson are making progress on a contract extension that would keep Pettersson in British Columbia for the next eight seasons, and it could be announced within the next several days. This marks a significant change in attitude from Pettersson, who appeared adamant about not wanting to discuss an extension with the Canucks during the season.

It will be interesting to see what the eventual dollar amount that Vancouver will give to Pettersson on this new contract. Heading into the offseason, the Canucks will have approximately $35.74MM available to them in cap space, with a total of nine players set to become unrestricted free agents, and another two set for restricted free agency, including Pettersson.

Comparing Pettersson’s production and recent contracts given out to similar players, Pettersson could earn anywhere between $11MM-$13MM on this new deal.

Over the last two years, Pettersson has taken his production to another level, scoring 68 goals and 177 points in his last 141 games in Vancouver. Currently sitting 10th in the league in scoring on a team contending for the President’s Trophy, there is every reason to believe that Pettersson will finish much higher than 18th in Hart Trophy voting like he did last season.

Unfortunately, with the Canucks

being tight to the cap ceiling even with the salary cap set to increase to $87.7MM next year, this likely means that Vancouver will be unable to extend recently acquired Elias Lindholm to a new deal. With Lindholm reportedly seeking an AAV of $9MM on his next contract, it would be rare to see a team sign their first- and second-highest-paid forward in the same offseason.

Nevertheless, this will set the Canucks core in place for the long haul, with the trio of Pettersson, J.T. Miller, and Quinn Hughes locked up until at least the 2026-27 season. Now that everything is clicking in Vancouver, the Canucks will now be able to reallocate money to supplement their core for the future.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/02/vancouver-canucks-elias-pettersson-making-progress-on-extension.html#ref=home

Edited by RWJC

I seem to recall Petey saying something along the lines of Nylander's deal will have no bearing on his deal... that we will see once it's done.  Hope that means he's signing a team friendly deal and that it doesn't mean he's signing a massive one in comparison.

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

This marks a significant change in attitude from Pettersson, who appeared adamant about not wanting to discuss an extension with the Canucks during the season

This is the key thing to note here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I seem to recall Petey saying something along the lines of Nylander's deal will have no bearing on his deal... that we will see once it's done.  Hope that means he's signing a team friendly deal and that it doesn't mean he's signing a massive one in comparison.

9a @10m...would be perfect for club reasons. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

yeah if its not reasonable, there is no way we can re-sign Boeser and maybe even Demko when they go UFA

5 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

I'm thinking this has been weighing on him a bit. He's looked a little distracted the last few games. Get him signed, and I think he will return to form.

Precisely what I'm thinking. Don't be surprised if he pops off once this deal is done. 

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

Precisely what I'm thinking. Don't be surprised if he pops off once this deal is done. 

I hope we are both right here. All the questions and speculation can't be helping him right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

what also stands out to me is the statement that Lindholm is strictly a rental and unaffordable. 

Nah that's not a given yet.  There's a way for that to happen.  They're just assuming Lindholm wants $9M.

• Cheers 1