[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

2 hours ago, Bardown said:

7.25 x 8 years

if he went ufa he’d have to get paid 8.3 aav x 7 years to be equal in total dollars 

the only dmen getting paid 8 mil or above are all Norris calibre and HOF worthy. Other than Darnell Nurse whose contact was nonsense. 

so others are not paying him 8.3 aav x 7 years 

7.25 will get it done imho 

werenski trouba jones sergachev and like u mentioned nurse are not norris calibre or HOF worthy.. and all of those deals were signed years ago either during or before flat cap.. so it's not unlikely someone would pay 8 or above if he reaches ufa.. that's like saying if and when the cap reaches 100mil by the time hughes is due for a contract.. you'll say well he shouldn't be paid more than dahlin or makar that was signed 4-5 years ago

I'd be pleased if we could get him for that, but I think he'll push for a little more. It's not too far off his value though.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

57 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

werenski trouba jones sergachev and like u mentioned nurse are not norris calibre or HOF worthy.. and all of those deals were signed years ago either during or before flat cap.. so it's not unlikely someone would pay 8 or above if he reaches ufa.. that's like saying if and when the cap reaches 100mil by the time hughes is due for a contract.. you'll say well he shouldn't be paid more than dahlin or makar that was signed 4-5 years ago

3 of those are deemed as some of the worst contracts in hockey, for sure for defenseman so not sure they are great comps, other then pointing out overpayments happen.   OEL and Myers happened too.  So was Erik Johnson (COL still won a cup with him as an anchor).   Hronek knows he won the lottery getting paired with QHs.    Don't think this is something he'd get too greedy about, 50-52 is a lot of money.   If he does get greedy, we can take him to arbitration, then separate him with QHs, if he can hold his own paring and still get over 50 points, then the Canucks can re-consider their offer.   If not, Hronek probably comes back to it later and says sure.   Toews for sure is a great example.   Toews proved he could do more on his own / verus Hronek being a righty ... it's probably a wash.   6.75-7.25 for sure is a fair deal. 

Look what Edler was making, and how old he was when he was making it.    First pairing 30-40 point guy, which is maybe  what Hronek is becoming.

Edit:  The Canucks could also trade Hronek.  His stock has gone up.   Get what they paid for and some back, and focus on Tanev this summer instead.     Would suck, and we'd probably need to bring Myers back too.   Juulsen makes it easier though.  So does having Willander (sucks we traded Hunt, having two PMD/RHDs competing with each other would have been better). 

Also IF the Canucks hope to get back more with Hronek, they can't bind themselves with the cap.   Leave some flexibility, even with the OEL coming in a year later to its peak.    NYI were in cap hell, which is how Sakic was able to "poach"  Toews for two seconds.       

It's all mute, pretty sure that Hronek will sign for something around 7.    Other teams can't do the 8 years, makes sense to use that to lower the cap, around 7 is lowered.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Allvin didn’t mention cap allocation or term. Any numbers are just guesses. The Empties are predicting 7.15 x 8.

That's a fair guess. 

Here's mine.   7.05 x 8. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

3 of those are deemed as some of the worst contracts in hockey, for sure for defenseman so not sure they are great comps, other then pointing out overpayments happen.   OEL and Myers happened too.  So was Erik Johnson (COL still won a cup with him as an anchor).   Hronek knows he won the lottery getting paired with QHs.    Don't think this is something he'd get too greedy about, 50-52 is a lot of money.   If he does get greedy, we can take him to arbitration, then separate him with QHs, if he can hold his own paring and still get over 50 points, then the Canucks can re-consider their offer.   If not, Hronek probably comes back to it later and says sure.   Toews for sure is a great example.   Toews proved he could do more on his own / verus Hronek being a righty ... it's probably a wash.   6.75-7.25 for sure is a fair deal. 

Look what Edler was making, and how old he was when he was making it.    First pairing 30-40 point guy, which is maybe  what Hronek is becoming.

Edit:  The Canucks could also trade Hronek.  His stock has gone up.   Get what they paid for and some back, and focus on Tanev this summer instead.     Would suck, and we'd probably need to bring Myers back too.   Juulsen makes it easier though.  So does having Willander (sucks we traded Hunt, having two PMD/RHDs competing with each other would have been better). 

Also IF the Canucks hope to get back more with Hronek, they can't bind themselves with the cap.   Leave some flexibility, even with the OEL coming in a year later to its peak.    NYI were in cap hell, which is how Sakic was able to "poach"  Toews for two seconds.       

It's all mute, pretty sure that Hronek will sign for something around 7.    Other teams can't do the 8 years, makes sense to use that to lower the cap, around 7 is lowered.  

he's basically producing at the same rate as he is in detroit so i wouldn't say well he's only doing well coz he's playing with QH. he's basically doing all this without any pp1 time vs when he was in detroit he was on pace for over 50. trading Hronek away and then have a tanev myers juulsen rhd?? that's god awful.. taking him to arbitration is like the worse thing that can happen with all these god awful comps out there. i don't think he would mind doing the 1 year arbitration and then go ufa... and you really think the canucks are going to spite him and put him on 2nd pairing with little pp time and then say see? u ain't a 50 point guy by yourself? i've said before when we traded for hronek.. him signing long term is not a slam dunk especially if we are trying to penny squeeze him. he was getting top line minutes with pp1 time and he's not going to get the pp1 minutes here. which would affect his ability to max out his contract. 

the other team can't do 8 year is a mute point.. if vancouver signs him to 8 years..  it's no difference as him signing his 1 year arbitration and then 7 years.. it's not like vancouver is signing him to 8 ufa year it's just the 7 ufa years same as any other team. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, PeteyBOI said:

I for one think he is worth more than the vast majority of you... 7.8x8

JT Miller is worth 11-12 or so right now...Not getting that.    JB is gone, let's get some better deals done.   EP's deal is going to take sometime, and cap going up, before the team gets max value (around the time he's Millers age). . 

Hronek has 15 primary assists.   How many of his points, are related to doing the easiest thing in the league right now for a D-man, dishing the puck to QHs?    QHs also does better having Hronek, it's a great fit, like Toews for Makar.    Might be one of the better comps.  

6.75 is virtually identical to Edlers legacy deal.  Based on the cap going up to 87.5 this summer..more if he signs before that.    We all know how that worked out, endless whining, the moment he was relied on to be the man. 

Edler .. 22 37pts, 23 42pta, 24 39pts, 25 49pts lockout year 22pts in 45 games ...  (2012-2013).     

Do you think Hronek is better than Edler?   Then he lost his mates, and led the league in minus soon after signing his legacy deal.     That's a tough call.    

8% of the cap sounds seems reasonable.      The cap for sure gets lower doing the full 8 years.   And also should help mitigate, the 14 plus % QHs is working himself on our team or somewhere else in a few years (3 after this season is done..:so we will be doing the same thing as we just did with EP, in just two years ... ).   Signing Hronek is a very good first step, towards that eventuality.    By then maybe 7.75% of the cap for Hronek, and 14% for QHs.    Teams going to need some guys on ELC's to carry that load.   That's about what the Sedins got combined.   Not sure if in the history of the cap, there has ever been a pairing that cost over 20%...21-22 is what they will be looking at QHs first couple seasons of his next deal. 

Edited by IBatch

7 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Hronek’s annual to be higher than that… Myers is 6…

That  2019 Myers contract is Bennings handy work. Clearly overpaid and I’m not sure it could be used as a benchmark on which to pay Hronek. 

Having said that , Hronek at 7.25 x 8 might fly. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

When Hronek gets done, hopefully Joshua is next in line

I see a pretty broad scope if what he could get....hard to predict. 

There's alot of hype around DJ lately because we seem to have flopped since his injury(as though that's the only reason we've went a bit sideways)

He's a really good third liner but still a third liner.  Wouldn't sell the farm for him.   Want to keep him though. 

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I see a pretty broad scope if what he could get....hard to predict. 

There's alot of hype around DJ lately because we seem to have flopped since his injury(as though that's the only reason we've went a bit sideways)

He's a really good third liner but still a third liner.  Wouldn't sell the farm for him.   Want to keep him though. 

Yup. We have a key core of guys management will lock up. Hughes was already locked up and Demko too. Then this management locked up Miller and Petey. Now they will lock up Hronek. After those key guys the rest will be interchangeable parts. If Joshua expecting more than this management will pay then he ends up elsewhere. The same will go for Big Z too. There will be a cap number this management will not exceed for the extra parts. 

• Cheers 1

This is one of the big deals coming up. Hronek is a key piece and a great important player. In my opinion he is not an 8 million dollar player nor a 6 million dollar player. He needs to realize he's in good situation with Hughes and not to get to greedy. Not that he's only playing well because of Hughes, but a Norris type partner is a treat and privilege to have.

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

It appears Petey got serious about a new deal when fans started to amp up their dissatisfaction with negotiations. Does PA think the same thing will work it’s Hronek? Sadly the reality faced by Alvin is that if Hronek and the Canucks cannot renew then he will have to trade Hronek. The standard has to be set as there are a lot of UFA’s.

nice thing is tho, we have Hronek under team control for one more year, and then Willander can come on board. So at least we have a quality prospect waiting in the system vs being desperate to run around and find another UFA or trade.

We could easily flip Hronek at the next TDL if need be to recover the picks if need be. Not ideal, but at least we can recover the value in all likelihood. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Rekker said:

This is one of the big deals coming up. Hronek is a key piece and a great important player. In my opinion he is not an 8 million dollar player nor a 6 million dollar player. He needs to realize he's in good situation with Hughes and not to get to greedy. Not that he's only playing well because of Hughes, but a Norris type partner is a treat and privilege to have.

Dunn certainly seems like the ceiling comp, so if they can get 8 years from Fil then maybe they can get something closer to 7 AAV? certainly seems reasonable. 

Most pundits looking at next years cap space were predicting Petey + Hronek would cost us 20M+ on the cap next year. If management gets the two locked up for 18M-19M that extra 1-2M will help a lot with fleshing out the depth players next year. 

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Joshua expecting more than this management will pay then he ends up elsewhere.

Nice thing about the Podz preview is it looks to me like we don't have to worry about an internal replacement if DJ walks.

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The same will go for Big Z too. 

he'd be silly not to lock in here, its clearly a great place for him. Sounds like he was looking for term, which hopefully means lower AAV.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Dunn certainly seems like the ceiling comp, so if they can get 8 years from Fil then maybe they can get something closer to 7 AAV? certainly seems reasonable. 

Ya. I think right around 7 is fair. That extra year will help lower the AAV for sure. 

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

1. Hronek is very good, but not elite. His numbers are significantly inflated by playing with Hughes. The Canucks have, at various times this season, separated Hronek from Hughes in the hope that Hronek could "drive" a good second pairing but they have always given up.

2. I agree that there is no way that Hronek should get more than Hughes. Not only would it be bad optics, it would also not be justified by his play.  I would not go over 7.0 x  8 years for Hronek.

3. There probably are teams who would overpay for Hronek. Hronek is an RFA after this season. I hope he accepts a reasonable offer. If not, I would trade him in the summer as he would probably generate a big return.

We haven’t had much patience in seeing Hronek split from Hughes. And why would you when it’s worked out so well.

He will use his years in Detroit to show his own self value.

When he was there he was a 40 point dman. Hughes has inflated his numbers. But he does have a case that his final year in Detroit he was putting up career numbers and was going to produce over 40 for his first time in his career.

We then trade for him and now he’s on pace for 60 points.

He’s got a good case to say he can put up numbers without Hughes and has done so in the past.

We just haven’t utilized him as such here.

I love Hughes but I actually wish Hronek was on our first PP more. We need to utilize that shot of his, which Quinn does not have.

Anyways, Hronek is def gonna get 7 mil plus and is worth it. I just wanted to point out he was good even before being paired with Hughes lol. It’s like his career never existed before Hughes the way i’ve read some comments on here.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Bardown said:

7.25 x 8 years

if he went ufa he’d have to get paid 8.3 aav x 7 years to be equal in total dollars 

the only dmen getting paid 8 mil or above are all Norris calibre and HOF worthy. Other than Darnell Nurse whose contact was nonsense. 

so others are not paying him 8.3 aav x 7 years 

7.25 will get it done imho 

norris trophy calibre players TODAY arent making 8 mil and above.  Theyll sign for 10 and above.  

i do agree Hronek is worth betwen 7 and 7.5.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Nice thing about the Podz preview is it looks to me like we don't have to worry about an internal replacement if DJ walks.

he'd be silly not to lock in here, its clearly a great place for him. Sounds like he was looking for term, which hopefully means lower AAV.

Yup. Podzilla is Joshua.

Hronek will come in around 7 per x 7

Big Z will be 4.5 x 6

Well worth locking up both those guys.

Hughes, Hronek

Z, Soucy

X, Juulsson

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

The only knock on Hronek (for me)  is that he doesn't seem to be able to carry another pairing.

If he's not playing with Hughes he doesn't seem to be nearly as effective...at this point anyway.

If he can't carry another pairing I'd have a hard time paying him much more than $7 million (ish)

IF Willander continues his development curve he should be here in another year or two.

I suspect he'd be slotting in with Hughes when he's ready, which means Hronek would be on our second pairing.  

Perhaps Hronek meshes with someone like D-Petey...that's alot of speculating on my part though. LOL

Not knocking Hronek, the guys a gamer...just playing devils advocate. 

Good right handed D-men are hard to come by.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Podzilla is Joshua.

Hronek will come in around 7 per x 7

Big Z will be 4.5 x 6

Well worth locking up both those guys.

Hughes, Hronek

Z, Soucy

X, Juulsson

I think Zadorov stays. Sounds like he’s become very good friends with Miller and Garland since he’s arrived here. Good leader and underrated in my opinion. Some games like the Jets and Bruins game he looks like a legit #4 defencemen.

I also think Hronek will sign for 7 million as well. Two reasons, he’s on a winning team for the first time in his career and he gets to be with Hughes for the rest of his career.

• Like 1