Quinn's coming for 2nd place!

Quinn is good at staying out of sick-bay as well. IMO. Hughes will crash through all those Canuck numbers even though the goals seem not as likely but his age

negates that. He will be high on the league #s as well but there's a couple or three that seem unsurmountable. He'll give it a go though..😊

• Cheers 2

Absolutely sublime leader and athlete; could not agree more with your posts.

Brings me shouting, out of my chair, well, almost up, hitting the circle-back button on the remote, "Come and look at this play!"

Echoes of Howie Meeker's "Back it up!  Back it up!" rattling 'round in black and white in my cracked crania.

Captain "Huggy" Hughes, leading the Canucks towards becoming the best team in the league; already.  Brilliant.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Sativika said:

Needless to say, Huggy is the real deal. I mean these are just Canuck defenseman  throughout the years. I agree that he could very well surpass Ohlund by this season's end.

It's truly mind boggling that he's accomplishing this in far less games than all the others. The fact that he's only 24yrs. old gives one pause in keeping with his feats thus far. He'll not just surpass the Canuck Defenseman stalwarts of old, but also stalwart defenseman in NHL history!

Check this out:

ScreenShot2024-03-12at7_40_15AM.thumb.png.f542a12aad910aa5bed19f5fa46e79d3.png

I'm pretty confident that Huggy,  given a long and prosperous career, will surpass many a HOF defenceman. Do y'all think he can top the current all time points getter Ray Bourque in less games than him? I think so. I mean Huggy's been talked of in the same circles as Orr. And Orr's career was cut short!

I mentioned this before, but it bears repeating, " I'm soooooo f*ckin' glad he's ours!" Canuck forever!

Go Canucks Go!!!!! 

If Quinn can stay healthy and play until he's 35 which is like 900 more games, he'll end his career in the top 10 of nhl defensemen. 

He's got a legit shot at top 5

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Needless to say, Huggy is the real deal. I mean these are just Canuck defenseman  throughout the years. I agree that he could very well surpass Ohlund by this season's end.

It's truly mind boggling that he's accomplishing this in far less games than all the others. The fact that he's only 24yrs. old gives one pause in keeping with his feats thus far. He'll not just surpass the Canuck Defenseman stalwarts of old, but also stalwart defenseman in NHL history!

Check this out:

I'm pretty confident that Huggy,  given a long and prosperous career, will surpass many a HOF defenceman. Do y'all think he can top the current all time points getter Ray Bourque in less games than him? I think so. I mean Huggy's been talked of in the same circles as Orr. And Orr's career was cut short!

I mentioned this before, but it bears repeating, " I'm soooooo f*ckin' glad he's ours!" Canuck forever!

Go Canucks Go!!!!! 

You know what's mind boggling is Ray Bourque.  Can you believe the guy played 1612 games?  And it's not like he even dwindled down his minutes either!  The guy played an average of 26:38 TOI over 1612 friggin games!  What a beast on the blue line. 

And what's with this generational talents always playing for the same teams?

EDM:  Gretzky and McDavid (Coffey)

PIT: Lemieux and Crosby (Jagr and Coffey too?)

BOS:  Orr and Bourque

Check this out:

Go Canucks Go!!!!! 

When ever I look at the stats for the all time greats I always seem to be amazed by something I did know before. For example when I look at this list:

- The PIM totals for Zubov and Lindstrom blow me away. If I assume all their PIMs were minors (I know they likely weren't but I am not willing to dig that deep) that would mean they were each around 1 minor penalty every 6-7 games. All while playing 26-27 minutes a game against the best players in the world. 

- Bobby Orr +/- is wild. I'm not sure exactly how this stat was collected during his playing career but to be second all time to Larry Robinson and having played half the games is crazy. No other player in history is even close to a +/game. 

I know you mentioned that Huggy has been talked about in the same circle as Orr and maybe he can reach that level but I think it is way too soon for that. Look at the points/game stats as evidence of just how amazing Orr was. In about the same number of career games (Orr played 27 more games that McDavid thus far) Orr's Points/Game is only 0.12 less than McDavid and all the media can talk about is how unbelievable McDavid's scoring ability is. For context in an 82 games season that is only a 10 point difference between the best player in the game today who happens to be a forward compared to a defensemen. 

All this to say, I am glad Huggy is a canuck and I hope he plays his whole career here and continues to do amazing things because he is a truly great player. I would just slow the role on comparing him to Orr. 

• Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Quinn is good at staying out of sick-bay as well. IMO. Hughes will crash through all those Canuck numbers even though the goals seem not as likely but his age

negates that. He will be high on the league #s as well but there's a couple or three that seem unsurmountable. He'll give it a go though..😊

To be fair, having to deal with a power forward like Ignila in front of the net (when Iggy was in his prime) does take some wear & tear on you physically (re: Ohlund).

One can't deny this amazing offensive production from Quinn.  And he's becoming more of better all round defenseman as well (the days of him need a defensive defenseman babysitting him have long gone).  Future strong Norris trophy candidate to be sure.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

To be fair, having to deal with a power forward like Ignila in front of the net (when Iggy was in his prime) does take some wear & tear on you physically (re: Ohlund).

One can't deny this amazing offensive production from Quinn.  And he's becoming more of better all round defenseman as well (the days of him need a defensive defenseman babysitting him have long gone).  Future strong Norris trophy candidate to be sure.

I don't think Ohlund was ever 100% after his eye injury.  I remember people getting frustrated with him because he would lose the puck in his feet at the blue line.  Always figured it was cause he couldn't see.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

When ever I look at the stats for the all time greats I always seem to be amazed by something I did know before. For example when I look at this list:

- The PIM totals for Zubov and Lindstrom blow me away. If I assume all their PIMs were minors (I know they likely weren't but I am not willing to dig that deep) that would mean they were each around 1 minor penalty every 6-7 games. All while playing 26-27 minutes a game against the best players in the world. 

- Bobby Orr +/- is wild. I'm not sure exactly how this stat was collected during his playing career but to be second all time to Larry Robinson and having played half the games is crazy. No other player in history is even close to a +/game. 

I know you mentioned that Huggy has been talked about in the same circle as Orr and maybe he can reach that level but I think it is way too soon for that. Look at the points/game stats as evidence of just how amazing Orr was. In about the same number of career games (Orr played 27 more games that McDavid thus far) Orr's Points/Game is only 0.12 less than McDavid and all the media can talk about is how unbelievable McDavid's scoring ability is. For context in an 82 games season that is only a 10 point difference between the best player in the game today who happens to be a forward compared to a defensemen. 

All this to say, I am glad Huggy is a canuck and I hope he plays his whole career here and continues to do amazing things because he is a truly great player. I would just slow the role on comparing him to Orr. 

Bobby could score with the best of them at his time, forwards or not.

In 6 seasons in a row, he scored over 100 points each season, for a total of 734 points in 447 games, and 1.64 pts/gm for 6 seasons!!

Just rakin' in The Norrises.. Hockey Hall of Fame Trophies Coming to the Bobby Orr Hall of Fame Sunday  April 7th < Bobby Orr Hall of FameAnd a few others to boot!

This is why I still maintain Bobby was better than Gretsky and my example is:

A team made up of all Bobby Orrs would lambaste a team made up all Whine Gretskys.

And, lest we forget, Bobby could hit and fight too, just like a complete hockey player.

Greatest Schmeatest, Bobby was the Best, and he had better flow too 😂

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I don't think Ohlund was ever 100% after his eye injury.  I remember people getting frustrated with him because he would lose the puck in his feet at the blue line.  Always figured it was cause he couldn't see.

Players like Iginla had tremendous class and sportsmanship and the Ohlund vs Iginla battles were clean and legendary.

Ohlund seldom lost his temper but he was way more physical when opponents took advantage of his weak side.

If not for the injury, he would have been the best D in the league in my biased opinion.

Full meal deal, "what you want, good girth", etc, and Swedish too (another Swede who put the boots to Don Cherry's "Chicken Swedes" BS.)

• Cheers 3

27 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Players like Iginla had tremendous class and sportsmanship and the Ohlund vs Iginla battles were clean and legendary.

Ohlund seldom lost his temper but he was way more physical when opponents took advantage of his weak side.

If not for the injury, he would have been the best D in the league in my biased opinion.

Full meal deal, "what you want, good girth", etc, and Swedish too (another Swede who put the boots to Don Cherry's "Chicken Swedes" BS.)

He *almost* made me forget the puke uniform he was wearing.🤣  But yeah, one didn't need any more proof about his sportsmanship when he got the Flames to come back to the ice to give Linden a proper send-off.  Real class there by Iginla.  "The courage of your enemy does you honor" indeed.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I get it. Iggy was definitely a force to reckon with. However, Huggy paired with a Pronger/Byfuglien type can take care of that and therefore Huggy wouldn't have to worry too much about Iggy types.

Honestly off hand, I've no idea who that might be. I mean we got big ass mofo type defensemen.  Though I'm guessing they're not ever gonna be playing with Huggy as a pairing duo permanently. Seems since we were looking at getting Tanev; obviously coaching/management figure the guys we got aren't ideal partners for Huggy either.

Huggy's game is improved all around for sure. However, he's never gonna be a Hedman, Jovocop, Ekblad type. The only thing he lacks that those guys have, and it's unavoidable, is size. Huggy is freakin' awesome, there's no denying that. And he's gonna be awesomer (Yea I know for sure. Awesomer is not proper!) coming into his prime. He will win the Norris at some point.

Who Huggy is paired with is paramount to his on ice performance. Sure. His all around game is improved and will progress, but I'm of the belief that Hronek can't be that guy. As a pairing in the same deployment as the Lotto line; sure, why not. It works. Hronek and Huggy be a great pairing, but in my mind, Hronek needs to step it up. Y'all must agree that Hronek's numbers prolly wouldn't look that good if he wasn't paired with Huggy.  And Huggy can't cover his ass from his defensive blunders. You must admit, Hronek's blunders aren't small!

At the end of things, I'm of the belief that management still wants a Tanev type for Huggy. Perhaps Tanev himself is a target in the off season. Who knows. There's other options to be sure come off season. Make it happen JR/PA!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

You know what's mind boggling is Ray Bourque.  Can you believe the guy played 1612 games?  And it's not like he even dwindled down his minutes either!  The guy played an average of 26:38 TOI over 1612 friggin games!  What a beast on the blue line. 

And what's with this generational talents always playing for the same teams?

EDM:  Gretzky and McDavid (Coffey)

PIT: Lemieux and Crosby (Jagr and Coffey too?)

BOS:  Orr and Bourque

Just hope the trend continues

Edited by spook007