[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

In my estimation Petey would have probably signed for around $12.5m on the open market.  Yes, he could probably get more on a bad team, but I think if he went to a reasonable team this is what he could get.

This means he took about a 7% hometown discount to stay

My gut is Zadorov could likely sign for $6m on the open market with a good team (again, probably more with a bad team).  This means that if we expect the same sort of "discount", we are looking at around $5.5m.

Many others on these boards have speculated 4s or low 5s.  I'll personally be surprised if that happens... but I guess we will see. 

1 hour ago, Sell.the.team said:

My gut is Zadorov could likely sign for $6m on the open market with a good team (again, probably more with a bad team).  This means that if we expect the same sort of "discount", we are looking at around $5.5m.

Many others on these boards have speculated 4s or low 5s.  I'll personally be surprised if that happens... but I guess we will see. 

Good teams don't sign 3rd pairing D for 6 million.

Edited by Coryberg
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Good teams don't sign 3rd pairing D for 6 million.

That is the issue with Zad. Does he have 2LD potential? Could he anchor Hronek if Hronek and Hughes were split? How does that sell in the window the Canucks have for serious Cup contention? Soucey is his competition right now. Will Zad take less money on a bridge deal of 2 years.  I doubt he has to. There will be lots of teams wanting to sign him as a UFA who will give him more TOI.

Just now, HKSR said:

Doubt Zadorov would garner $6M on the open market.  If you want a really strong comparable, look at last year's UFA signing of a 28yo monster defenceman in Ryan Graves.  6 year deal at $4.5M.  Likely extremely close to what Zadorov will get from the Canucks.

Would Gudbranson be a comparable to Big Z too? 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I'd say if anything, Gudbranson would be the 'floor'.  Zadorov will get over $4M.  We also know his ask (according to insiders) is $5M.  So makes sense that it lands somewhere in between.  Makes no sense that he'd get more than his ask lol

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

That is the issue with Zad. Does he have 2LD potential? Could he anchor Hronek if Hronek and Hughes were split? How does that sell in the window the Canucks have for serious Cup contention? Soucey is his competition right now. Will Zad take less money on a bridge deal of 2 years.  I doubt he has to. There will be lots of teams wanting to sign him as a UFA who will give him more TOI.

I'm sure a team like San Jose would be a good landing spot for him. He would get top 4 minutes and they will need to get to the floor. Could be a good policeman to create a safe work environment for the kids like Gudas in Anaheim and Guddy in Columbus.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Doubt Zadorov would garner $6M on the open market.  If you want a really strong comparable, look at last year's UFA signing of a 28yo monster defenceman in Ryan Graves.  6 year deal at $4.5M.  Likely extremely close to what Zadorov will get from the Canucks.

I would say if Milstein used Graves contract the canucks would point to Mayfield's (3.5 x7). Although both players played much bigger minutes in their contract years and I also can't see the Canucks pushing for any deal longer than 3 years.

3 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

I would say if Milstein used Graves contract the canucks would point to Mayfield's (3.5 x7). Although both players played much bigger minutes in their contract years and I also can't see the Canucks pushing for any deal longer than 3 years.

Graves contract is $4.5M x 6 = $27M signed at 28yo.  This takes him to 34yo.

Mayfield contract is $3.75M x 7 = $26.25M signed at 30yo.  This takes him to 37yo.

Mayfield's deal is paying for those final couple years where he will likely be worth $1M AAV.  Take away that 7th year and it'd likely be $25.25M over 6 years or $4.2M AAV.  Take away those last 2 years so his deal ends at 35yo instead and it'd be $4.85M.

Zadorov will be signing at age 29yo.  All signs point to a deal in the mid to high $4M range.  If you want it under $4M, it'll have to be a 7 or 8 year deal, which I don't see happening.  A 6 year deal gets him in at low $4M range.  A 5 year deal gets him in the high $4M range.  Makes sense as his ask is reported as $5M x 5. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

When I compare, I always ask myself would I trade player for player if all is equal. Even after a night of drinking with you Alf, I wouldn't trade Zads for Guds. Lol. Sucks because Blue Jackets gave Guds a dumb contract that had many shaking their heads. Somewhere between 4.5 and 5 over some term seems fair to me for Zads.

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Graves contract is $4.5M x 6 = $27M signed at 28yo.  This takes him to 34yo.

Mayfield contract is $3.75M x 7 = $26.25M signed at 30yo.  This takes him to 37yo.

Mayfield's deal is paying for those final couple years where he will likely be worth $1M AAV.  Take away that 7th year and it'd likely be $25.25M over 6 years or $4.2M AAV.  Take away those last 2 years so his deal ends at 35yo instead and it'd be $4.85M.

Zadorov will be signing at age 29yo.  All signs point to a deal in the mid to high $4M range.  If you want it under $4M, it'll have to be a 7 or 8 year deal, which I don't see happening.  A 6 year deal gets him in at low $4M range.  A 5 year deal gets him in the high $4M range.  Makes sense as his ask is reported as $5M x 5. 

At the end of the day it is all about total money.  So Zadorov will want the same total money as Oleksiak, Graves, Mayfield, etc.  $23 million is the floor.  That's what Oleksiak got after being a 3rd pairing Dman his whole career and now playing top 4 minutes in Seattle.  $27 million is his ceiling, the Graves contract.

He wants a 5x5 contract, so it's not an unreasonable ask as that lands right in the middle at $25 million.  I would get him to sign a 6 year deal with the same total dollars, so 4.2x6.  4.25x6 is probably something both parties can agree to...

• Like 2

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

At the end of the day it is all about total money.  So Zadorov will want the same total money as Oleksiak, Graves, Mayfield, etc.  $23 million is the floor.  That's what Oleksiak got after being a 3rd pairing Dman his whole career and now playing top 4 minutes in Seattle.  $27 million is his ceiling, the Graves contract.

He wants a 5x5 contract, so it's not an unreasonable ask as that lands right in the middle at $25 million.  I would get him to sign a 6 year deal with the same total dollars, so 4.2x6.  4.25x6 is probably something both parties can agree to...

Yeah, that's where I think it'll land too.  Fair for both parties.  Juulsen will be bottom pair RHD, so we're probably missing a top 4 RHD unless Zadorov and Soucy are paired together (assuming Hronek is re-signed).

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, that's where I think it'll land too.  Fair for both parties.  Juulsen will be bottom pair RHD, so we're probably missing a top 4 RHD unless Zadorov and Soucy are paired together (assuming Hronek is re-signed).

I think Willander will be ready by 2025.  He might come and slot right into that 2nd pairing RHD spot.  He'd be a perfect compliment to Zadorov.  Zadorov has much more to offer.  Oleksiak went from a 3rd pairing guy to playing 20 minutes a night in Seattle.  I think Zadorov can handle those minutes too.  He has played over 19 minutes average in 2 of his seasons, one was with Colorado.  

In looking at Zadorov's game log, he has played over 19 minutes a night in 16 games this season.  So it's just a question if he can sustain that for a whole season.  I think he can.  Tocchet has thrown him out there in the last minute of a game several times.  I think he was out there 2 days ago in the last minute.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Willander will be ready by 2025.  He might come and slot right into that 2nd pairing RHD spot.  He'd be a perfect compliment to Zadorov.  Zadorov has much more to offer.  Oleksiak went from a 3rd pairing guy to playing 20 minutes a night in Seattle.  I think Zadorov can handle those minutes too.  He has played over 19 minutes average in 2 of his seasons, one was with Colorado.  

In looking at Zadorov's game log, he has played over 19 minutes a night in 16 games this season.  So it's just a question if he can sustain that for a whole season.  I think he can.  Tocchet has thrown him out there in the last minute of a game several times.  I think he was out there 2 days ago in the last minute.

I'd like us to be as patient as we can with Willander and Lekkerimaki.  I'd like Willander to spend another year at the NCAA next year (2024-25), then play 3rd pair (16 to 18min) in 2025-26 before finally taking a full-time top 4 role in 2026-27 (19 to 20min).  Of course, it all depends on how he performs when he arrives.  If he transitions anything like Brock Faber, then we're golden!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

I'd like us to be as patient as we can with Willander and Lekkerimaki.  I'd like Willander to spend another year at the NCAA next year (2024-25), then play 3rd pair (16 to 18min) in 2025-26 before finally taking a full-time top 4 role in 2026-27 (19 to 20min).  Of course, it all depends on how he performs when he arrives.  If he transitions anything like Brock Faber, then we're golden!

Willander is way ahead of Faber in his development.  Faber at 18 has 12 points in 27 games in the NCAA.  Willander just finished his first season with 22 points in 33 games.  

Willander could be a PPG dman in the NCAA next season.  If so, he will certainly jump to the NHL in 2025.  I'm sure they would initially start him on the 3rd pairing, but with his elite skating I can see him jumping up to a 2nd pairing dman sometime in 2025.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Willander is way ahead of Faber in his development.  Faber at 18 has 12 points in 27 games in the NCAA.  Willander just finished his first season with 22 points in 33 games.  

Willander could be a PPG dman in the NCAA next season.  If so, he will certainly jump to the NHL in 2025.  I'm sure they would initially start him on the 3rd pairing, but with his elite skating I can see him jumping up to a 2nd pairing dman sometime in 2025.

Man it's awesome to have a RHD prospect like that in our system.  We'll have a good idea of what we have next season.  Maybe not Makar level, but he looks like a top pair RHD in the making.

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Coryberg said:

He most definitely was, the puck went off him and into our net.

At least he didn’t get scratched like the old man did tonight…   🤣

Imagine being called a top 4 Dman and you need to be healthy scratched in a game for load management?  🤣

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Nothing over 5 million. Juulsen replaced Myers. Cole McWard or Jett Woo is the next Juulsen next year. Maybe sign a vet like Cole but for less money. That’s the route I hope we take on defence. Gives us room to resign Hronek 

Edited by Devron

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

At least he didn’t get scratched like the old man did tonight…   🤣

Imagine being called a top 4 Dman and you need to be healthy scratched in a game for load management?  🤣

Did the truth offend you?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Did the truth offend you?

Zadorov had 2 goals tonight and was the first star.  I’m not offended at all.  In fact, tonight further proves that Zadorov is a legit top 4 Dman and Cole needs to be load managed just to be able to play in the playoffs.  The defence also looked just fine without him.  There is no drop-off by replacing Cole with Juulsen.  In fact, Juulsen is a better partner for Zadorov than Cole as he is a natural right hand shot and plays more aggressive, allowing Zadorov to play more offensively, which happened tonight.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m not offended at all.  In fact, tonight further proves that Zadorov is a legit top 4 Dman 

Hughes 23:34

Hronek 22:48

Myers 19:11

Soucy 19:11

Zadorov 17:37

Juulsen 14:12

Confused Thinking GIF