[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I haven’t seen much chaos from Myers in a long time. Foote and Gonchar have done an incredible job with him. You can’t teach 6’8”. He’s a key cog in our run to the cup this year. 

Yeah, and I think managing minutes was a BIG part of it.

Last year he had his lowest ATOI of 20:54 in years (last time he had a lower ATOI was when he was still with the Jets!)

This year he has looked WAY better.  ATOI?  18:57.  Nearly 2 full minutes less per game on average.  In fact, the lowest ATOI of his career.  He has thrived with it.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Hughes - Tanev

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy - Juulsen

Cole - Willander

Hughes        Zub

Zadorov       Willander 

Soucy           Myers 

Pettersson   Juulsen 

Re-sign Zadorov and Myers. Trade Hronek for Zub and a 2nd round pick. Bring in D-Petey and Willander. And our D is set. 

• chaos 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Zadorov played 22:31 yesterday. The only player who played more minutes was Hughes. Not sure how you can even compare Soucy to Zadorov. 

Zadorov is our 2nd best Dman in the playoffs right now and it shows in the minutes he is playing. $5 million would be a bargain for him at this point. 

Not sure where do you think your thinking is taking you. 

Have you looked at other contending team's salary cap? The majority of 2nd pairing and below defensemen are paid at or below 4million AAV. And here you are suggesting we pay Zadorov(2nd pairing) 5million and Soucy (3rd pairing) 3.25million. Excellent planning, making us very competitive indeed.

No one is saying Zadorov isn't good, the fact he played 23 minutes is not even important to the discussion. The thing is, he can't get 5million in the open market, we need to leverage that and manage the cap to our advantage. 

It is just like Joshua. He is playing like a 5million man, do we offer him that? No. 

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, and I think managing minutes was a BIG part of it.

Last year he had his lowest ATOI of 20:54 in years (last time he had a lower ATOI was when he was still with the Jets!)

This year he has looked WAY better.  ATOI?  18:57.  Nearly 2 full minutes less per game on average.  In fact, the lowest ATOI of his career.  He has thrived with it.

I think if you keep Myers on the 3rd pairing with Soucy/D-Petey, he could play another 3-4 years. He wants to be here. He lives in Kelowna. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Have you looked at other contending team's salary cap? The majority of 2nd pairing and below defensemen are paid at or below 4million AAV. And here you are suggesting we pay Zadorov(2nd pairing) 5million and Soucy (3rd pairing) 3.25million. Excellent planning, making us very competitive indeed.

No one is saying Zadorov isn't good, the fact he played 23 minutes is not even important to the discussion. The thing is, he can't get 5million in the open market, we need to leverage that and manage the cap to our advantage. 

It is just like Joshua. He is playing like a 5million man, do we offer him that? No. 

Who says he can’t get $5 million?  Radko Gudas got $4 million. Erik Gudbranson got $4 million. Zadorov is a unicorn. There will be teams lined up to pay him $5 million. Especially if he keeps playing the way he is, eats up 21-22 minutes a night and we make a run to the finals. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think if you keep Myers on the 3rd pairing with Soucy/D-Petey, he could play another 3-4 years. He wants to be here. He lives in Kelowna. 

I really hope Myers would accept Cole money (ie. $3M AAV).  Soucy and Myers, Zadorov and Juulsen?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

There is no need to worry about all this things.I know it is forum,and it is place to calculate and pretend we are decision makers(smart of course).But dont forget you have great management up, to take care of all of this problems.I dont think we will be on the wrong side of the deal

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Who says he can’t get $5 million?  Radko Gudas got $4 million. Erik Gudbranson got $4 million. Zadorov is a unicorn. There will be teams lined up to pay him $5 million. Especially if he keeps playing the way he is, eats up 21-22 minutes a night and we make a run to the finals. 

Do some research when you even post lol.. Or it's just a waste of time talking to you. 

Who do you think are comparable players to Zadorov? Oleksiak (4.6mil), Carlo (4.1mil), Graves (4.5mil). 

I like how you bring up Gudbranson and Guda's contract. By your logical thinking, might as well dig up whatever some crappy team's been offering some random players and copy them? Chicago signed Jason Dickinson to 4.25million, keep it as a reference for your future posts. 

2 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Do some research when you even post lol.. Or it's just a waste of time talking to you. 

Who do you think are comparable players to Zadorov? Oleksiak (4.6mil), Carlo (4.1mil), Graves (4.5mil). 

I like how you bring up Gudbranson and Guda's contract. By your logical thinking, might as well dig up whatever some crappy team's been offering some random players and copy them? Chicago signed Jason Dickinson to 4.25million, keep it as a reference for your future posts. 

You literally said Soucy is Zadorov’s comparable. So who needs to do the research?  Who is playing more minutes in the playoffs?  There are some hockey people who are saying that Zadorov is arguable the best player on the Canucks right now. He’s literally doing it all. 

Oleksiak cannot do what Zadorov does. Oleksiak was literally a 3rd pairing guy his entire career until Seattle picked him up. Brandon Carlo wasn’t a UFA when he signed his contract, so maybe you should do some research before you use an RFA as a comparison to a UFA. You understand the difference right?  

Graves is the only actual comparable on that list. He is not as physical as Zadorov, can’t skate like Zadorov and doesn’t have as good of an offensive game either. He also got a 6 year deal from Pittsburgh, so if you want to give Zadorov 6 years then he may do a similar deal at 4.5x6. $27 million to $30 million in total money is probably what Zadorov is going to want. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

We need Hronek back.  It's the amount of minutes that he can eat up while still being effective that makes such a big difference for the rest of the RHD in our lineup.  If you had Myers playing 23min a night, I guarantee we would likely see chaos giraffe.  The reason this year's D group is so much better is because we have that top pair capable of eating up a TON of minutes.  We can't lose that.

That and better size and depth than we have ever had backing them up. 
‘We can lose it if it is too expensive.  Can’t have everything in cap world. 

43 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Will he take 3rd pair money though? Someone somewhere will give him a Gudbranson deal.  We can't have a 7mil 3rd pair. Especially with all the cap being eaten up in OEL's buyout, Hronek and Petey's extensions. Hogs is gonna need a new deal next summer, and if he drops 20+ goals again. That's potentially a Mikheyev deal going his way. We paid almost 5mil for Mikheyev and he only did it once.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hughes        Zub

Zadorov       Willander 

Soucy           Myers 

Pettersson   Juulsen 

Re-sign Zadorov and Myers. Trade Hronek for Zub and a 2nd round pick. Bring in D-Petey and Willander. And our D is set. 

Is this in 2026?...

• Upvote 1

I'm hoping we trade Hronek for some assets. Maybe try and offload Mikheyev in the deal, e.g. Hronek + Mikheyev to CHI for a 1st round pick (TBL).

Replace Hronek with either Pesce or Roy (6m-ish x 6)

Resign Zadorov (4.5m x 5)

Then sign either Myers (4m x 2) or Tanev (4.5m x 2)

Add in a big third pairing vet D such as Hakanpaa (1.5m x 2)

Hughes Pesce/Roy

Soucy Myers/Tanev

Zadorov Hakanpaa

Friedman Juulsen

Our D corps needs to be big and experienced to succeed in the playoffs.

55 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Will he take 3rd pair money though? Someone somewhere will give him a Gudbranson deal.  We can't have a 7mil 3rd pair. Especially with all the cap being eaten up in OEL's buyout, Hronek and Petey's extensions. Hogs is gonna need a new deal next summer, and if he drops 20+ goals again. That's potentially a Mikheyev deal going his way. We paid almost 5mil for Mikheyev and he only did it once.

D-Petey and Willander will be with the club in 2025 so those two ELC contracts will allow us to have a couple expensive bottom pairing guys for 2-3 years.  

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

D-Petey and Willander will be with the club in 2025 so those two ELC contracts will allow us to have a couple expensive bottom pairing guys for 2-3 years.  

Two 20 year olds in our top 4? Sounds like a good way to be a lottery team.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Two 20 year olds in our top 4? Sounds like a good way to be a lottery team.

Umm no. Zadorov will be re-signed. He’ll play with Willander. Willander is a star in the making. Looks like Charlie McAvoy. McAvoy was a 14th overall pick and came in as a 20 year old and averaged 22 minutes a night in his rookie season. I see Willander doing the same thing. 

As for D-Petey, he will rotate with Soucy on the 3rd pairing for a year in 2025 and be a full time starter in 2026 when Soucy is a UFA. 

If we can’t re-sign Hronek then we should trade him and use the assets to go hard after Artem Zub. He’s the perfect partner for Hughes. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Umm no. Zadorov will be re-signed. He’ll play with Willander. Willander is a star in the making. Looks like Charlie McAvoy. McAvoy was a 14th overall pick and came in as a 20 year old and averaged 22 minutes in his Rollie season. I see Willander doing the same thing. 

As for D-Petey, he will rotate with Soucy on the 3rd pairing for a year in 2025 and be a full time starter in 2026 when Soucy is a UFA. 

If we can’t re-sign Hronek then we should trade him and use the assets to go hard after Artem Zub. He’s the perfect partner for Hughes. 

Exactly! Unlike Benning (the moran) this management has a clear plan. Hronek will be traded for assets that PA will turn into young high end wingers. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hughes        Zub

Zadorov       Willander 

Soucy           Myers 

Pettersson   Juulsen 

Hughes - Zub

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy - Juulsen

DPetey - Willander

I'd be okay with this for the next two years.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Hughes - Zub

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy - Juulsen

DPetey - Willander

I'd be okay with this for the next two years.

Mgmt could likely bring back Cole for another year as well if needed

One more year of development for Dpetey and Willander

Edited by NoCupSyndrome
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hughes        Zub

Zadorov       Willander 

Soucy           Myers 

Pettersson   Juulsen 

What year are we talking about?  I'm assuming you mean 2-3 years from now?  Willander and D-EP aren't top D players in the AHL yet, so they still have nuturing to do unless they absolutely surprise in training camp.  Even then, not sure those guys are in Hughes' league in terms of hitting the NHL early.

[update] - never mind, I see others have responded similarly.

Edited by NHL97OneTimer

2 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Mgmt could likely bring back Cole for another year as well if needed

One more year of development for Dpetey and Willander

Cole doesn't get much love....even beyond Bieksa haha.  I'm not sure if Cole comes back but he's been fine in my eyes.  I think the big difference between this year and last year is the size and effort level of our D.  If they can find similar guys for a few forward replacements, we have ourselves a playoff team.

I'm also of the camp that Zadorov has to stay for next year.  I can't say anything bad about Hronek and want him back......but there's a price of course.  If his demands means losing other key assets, looks like they need to land a big trade.

Of course, if EP didn't sign the huge contract that he did, we'd have cash to burn (after trading Mik).

17 hours ago, Drakrami said:

It's sort of how I feel about signing Hronek at 7 +  especially if it means losing zadorov and Joshua.  Tough choices ahead

9 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Cole doesn't get much love....even beyond Bieksa haha.  I'm not sure if Cole comes back but he's been fine in my eyes.  I think the big difference between this year and last year is the size and effort level of our D.  If they can find similar guys for a few forward replacements, we have ourselves a playoff team.

I'm also of the camp that Zadorov has to stay for next year.  I can't say anything bad about Hronek and want him back......but there's a price of course.  If his demands means losing other key assets, looks like they need to land a big trade.

Of course, if EP didn't sign the huge contract that he did, we'd have cash to burn (after trading Mik).

Ya, bring back Hronek or bring back a more balanced d core. I am leaning to the latter especially given the assets that would come back in a Hronek trade. And I like Hronek

• Cheers 1