[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

2 hours ago, The Duke said:

4.8 is a little steep for me but, sure, he’s worth it I guess.  The 6 x 4.25 or even 4.4 or something would be preferable. 

I do think he’s easily the guy I’d want to keep the most out of Cole, Myers and himself. 

I think zad has to get 5 Mill unless you go LONG term.

I dont see it making sense though when it has been clear Soucy > Zadorov

And Hughes is here long term.

I think they will not resign him now unfortunately.

Say we Have 

Hughes LIFER

Soucy is up in 2 Years

Zadorov 5 + Years

We sign Zadorov we will be forced to say goodbye to Soucy when his deal is up. And I dont think thats what the team will want to do. He is very good.

I think we will say bye, sign a short term LHD bottom pair option, maybe Cole too for depth again and in 1-2 years we should have a LHD ready to make the team from the prospect cupboard.

And my bet would be on D-Petey.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

So I read that as he wants $25M (5x5).

Pretty sure they could settle at $24M or $4.8M x 5.  However...

Since he's 28yo, I'd have no issue going 6 years.  

Give him a bit more than $25M to have him sign the extra year....

$4.25M x 6 = $25.5M.  That'd be my preference.

It’s gonna take a lot more than 500k to get him to sign an extra year. Prolly more like 4.5x6. Unless he’s out of the league even at league minimum after 5 years would earn him a more and he’s more likely to get a 2-3 mil contract if he’s still good to stay in the league with the cap etc 

Edited by wai_lai416

9 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

It’s gonna take a lot more than 500k to get him to sign an extra year. Prolly more like 4.5x6. Unless he’s out of the league even at league minimum after 5 years would earn him a more and he’s more likely to get a 2-3 mil contract if he’s still good to stay in the league with the cap etc 

I'm accounting for the fact players don't usually get EXACTLY what they ask for.  Reality is he asks for $5M x 5, Canucks come back at $4M and they land somewhere in between.  Let's say $4.6M x 5 = $23M.

So at $4.25 x 6 = $25.5, he's getting $2.5M more to sign that 6th year.  It's guaranteed money.  There's no guarantee on what happens 5 or 6 years from now.

He has also mentioned the Canucks were his favourite team growing up, so there's that too.

• Cheers 2

If he wants 5 x 5, then I think something like 4.25 x 6 would work out fine. 

Likely a little more then Zad is actually worth, but ya gotta pay to lock up players in FA. He'll be called on to float between a #4 and #5 guy who brings toughness and is a good skater I think, so we should be able to live with him at that cap hit in that role. 

Hopefully some of our younger prospects start to break onto the team in the next few years and we have them at a low cost for a bit.

17 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

If he wants 5 x 5, then I think something like 4.25 x 6 would work out fine. 

Likely a little more then Zad is actually worth, but ya gotta pay to lock up players in FA. He'll be called on to float between a #4 and #5 guy who brings toughness and is a good skater I think, so we should be able to live with him at that cap hit in that role. 

Hopefully some of our younger prospects start to break onto the team in the next few years and we have them at a low cost for a bit.

4.25 when he's asking for 5M? I doubt it. I think the lowest he would be willing to do from 5M would be 4.5M, maybe. But yeah, it really depends on what kind of role he would have with the team on the backend right? 5M for a third pairing guy is just not good cap or money management. But he's a good defenseman (decent) with some physical attributes that no one else really has. We need his physicalness and snarl. 

I think D-Petey can probably bring that, but he's at least 2-3 years away, no? 

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

4.25 when he's asking for 5M? I doubt it. I think the lowest he would be willing to do from 5M would be 4.5M, maybe. But yeah, it really depends on what kind of role he would have with the team on the backend right? 5M for a third pairing guy is just not good cap or money management. But he's a good defenseman (decent) with some physical attributes that no one else really has. We need his physicalness and snarl. 

I think D-Petey can probably bring that, but he's at least 2-3 years away, no? 

The way to look at it is he's asking for $5Mx5, Canucks likely counter $4Mx5... somewhere in the middle say $4.6Mx5 is a landing spot, but Canucks may want more term to lower the cap hit. 

So if he took $4.6M x 5, that takes him to 33 years old.  Who knows how his career goes, but at 33 yo, he MIGHT get another $3M deal or maybe less... anyways, that moves him into the 6 year timeline from now.  So $4.6M x 5 years = $23M + $3M = $26M over 6 years = $4.33M AAV

Canucks offer $4.25 to guarantee him $25.5M over 6 years.  A difference of $500k overall.

$4.25M x 6.  Done deal!

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The way to look at it is he's asking for $5Mx5, Canucks likely counter $4Mx5... somewhere in the middle say $4.6Mx5 is a landing spot, but Canucks may want more term to lower the cap hit. 

So if he took $4.6M x 5, that takes him to 33 years old.  Who knows how his career goes, but at 33 yo, he MIGHT get another $3M deal or maybe less... anyways, that moves him into the 6 year timeline from now.  So $4.6M x 5 years = $23M + $3M = $26M over 6 years = $4.33M AAV

Canucks offer $4.25 to guarantee him $25.5M over 6 years.  A difference of $500k overall.

$4.25M x 6.  Done deal!

He is turning 29 in 4 weeks. A 5 year deal would take him to 34, 6 would take him to 35.

2 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Detroit?

No, according to Big Z himself his favourite childhood team was Vancouver and his favourite players were the Sedins and Markus Naslund. 

We know how beautiful Vancouver is as a city, what are your thoughts on coming to the West Coast?

"My draft was 2013 and Vancouver made the Cory Schneider trade for 9th overall and they were my favourite team but they picked Bo [Horvat] and Bo was my [London Knights] teammate so I was a bit jealous," said Zadorov with a laugh. "But I still ended up in a good organization with [the] Buffalo Sabres. It's definitely a dream to play for your childhood favourite team. It's a great city. It's got great restaurants. If you ask me about my 11 years [in the NHL], I would say Vancouver is a top-three road city for me for sure. I'm always enjoying my time, every time, so I think it's perfect."

What made you a Canucks fan as a kid?

"Markus Naslund and the Sedin brothers," said Zadorov. "Naslund, I really like him a lot, I think he was definitely one of my favourite players."

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

Say we Have 

Hughes LIFER

Soucy is up in 2 Years

Zadorov 5 + Years

We sign Zadorov we will be forced to say goodbye to Soucy when his deal is up. And I dont think thats what the team will want to do. He is very good.

I think we will say bye, sign a short term LHD bottom pair option, maybe Cole too for depth again and in 1-2 years we should have a LHD ready to make the team from the prospect cupboard.

Soucy was a bottom pairing Dman his entire career playing 16 minutes a night. What makes you think he is our long term solution on the second pairing when he is in his 30’s?  He is also injury prone. He has had two significant injuries just this year alone. 

D-Petey will be able to do exactly what Soucy is doing now at a fraction of the cost. Signing Zadorov long term isn’t a problem when D-Petey will be on an ELC contract for several years. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

Say we Have 

Hughes LIFER

Soucy is up in 2 Years

Zadorov 5 + Years

Ive run into this problem as well, playing it out in my head.  

Hughes is locked in, for sure. Soucy for 2 more and he’s been an elite 3rd pair guy. 

My issue going long on Zadorov really locks us in - and limits the offensive upside of the 2nd pair IMO as a skilled lefty will be a lot easier to find than a skilled righty. 

Still, he adds a ton of intangibles and he’s not useless with the puck. I don’t think it’s the end of the world if we walk away from him if the contract demands get too high.

Theres also Brendan Dillon kicking around - older with a 3.9 cap hit that he might take a hair cut on to retire at home.  We walk on Zadorov he’d be a nice place holder.  We might still be able to get Cole cheap and short and/or Myers plus Juulsen. 

57 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Ive run into this problem as well, playing it out in my head.  

Hughes is locked in, for sure. Soucy for 2 more and he’s been an elite 3rd pair guy. 

My issue going long on Zadorov really locks us in - and limits the offensive upside of the 2nd pair IMO as a skilled lefty will be a lot easier to find than a skilled righty. 

Still, he adds a ton of intangibles and he’s not useless with the puck. I don’t think it’s the end of the world if we walk away from him if the contract demands get too high.

Theres also Brendan Dillon kicking around - older with a 3.9 cap hit that he might take a hair cut on to retire at home.  We walk on Zadorov he’d be a nice place holder.  We might still be able to get Cole cheap and short and/or Myers plus Juulsen. 

Willander looks pretty skilled to me. Some are comparing him to McAvoy. 

Hughes        Hronek 

Zadorov       Willander 

Pettersson   Juulsen 

Pettersson can replace Soucy in 2 years. And Willander replaces Myers. We then have 2 Dmen on ELC contracts for several years. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Willander looks pretty skilled to me. Some are comparing him to McAvoy. 

Hughes        Hronek 

Zadorov       Willander 

Pettersson   Juulsen 

Pettersson can replace Soucy in 2 years. And Willander replaces Myers. We then have 2 Dmen on ELC contracts for several years. 

I try not to pencil prospects into the lineup - but Willander being even just a 30-40 point guy in the NHL would be fantastic.  If we can bring Hronek, Myers and Zadorov back and run Soucy-Juulsen 3rd pair I’d be pretty happy. 

• Cheers 1

I'd rather it be a shorter deal if possible, four years would probably be ideal

Not interested in adding an additional year or two to bring the cap hit down, I'd rather be able walk away from him a year sooner 

Don't think about his currently being 28, he'll be 29 in April, 4x5Mish would take him to about 33, at which point we may prefer to replace him 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Soucy was a bottom pairing Dman his entire career playing 16 minutes a night. What makes you think he is our long term solution on the second pairing when he is in his 30’s?  He is also injury prone. He has had two significant injuries just this year alone. 

D-Petey will be able to do exactly what Soucy is doing now at a fraction of the cost. Signing Zadorov long term isn’t a problem when D-Petey will be on an ELC contract for several years. 

Fair points. 

i guess I’ve just been super impressed by him. And when he’s been on his off side 

considering how much time he’s missed he’s looked really good

• Cheers 1

Riccio and Shaw in pre game indicating that they think it will be tough to make the dollars work to retain/extend  Z.

As an experiment some time, would like to see him paired on 2nd line for a couple games with Hronek as 2A. 
Z’s bounced around a bit in his career and given some glimpses up the line combos in that time, but wonder if at his age and experience he can contribute a little bit more responsibly and reliably. I’d like mgmt to lean on coaching a bit to see that this season before really engaging in any extension negotiations. Bit of a difference between paying $ and term for a 2nd line Dman than a 3rd and mgmt will have to squeeze value out of its dollars again next year, and perhaps more.

I’m hopeful, they’ve made some great choices that way this season. I think Z retained adds a nice balance to our D structure which can be built out even stronger next season in terms of how the $ are allocated. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No, according to Big Z himself his favourite childhood team was Vancouver and his favourite players were the Sedins and Markus Naslund. 

We know how beautiful Vancouver is as a city, what are your thoughts on coming to the West Coast?

"My draft was 2013 and Vancouver made the Cory Schneider trade for 9th overall and they were my favourite team but they picked Bo [Horvat] and Bo was my [London Knights] teammate so I was a bit jealous," said Zadorov with a laugh. "But I still ended up in a good organization with [the] Buffalo Sabres. It's definitely a dream to play for your childhood favourite team. It's a great city. It's got great restaurants. If you ask me about my 11 years [in the NHL], I would say Vancouver is a top-three road city for me for sure. I'm always enjoying my time, every time, so I think it's perfect."

What made you a Canucks fan as a kid?

"Markus Naslund and the Sedin brothers," said Zadorov. "Naslund, I really like him a lot, I think he was definitely one of my favourite players."

Yeah that was his PR statement that I'm sure Milstein hammered into him.

He was on after hours last week and without hesitation he said the red wings. His favorite players were Yzerman, McCarthy and the Russian 5.

Fast forward to the 10:20 mark...