[Re-Signing] VGK Re-sign Noah Hanifin to 8 year deal ($7.35M AAV)

Posted (edited)

Something's gotta give next year for VGK... $86M of $87.5M cap next year committed now to 10 forwards, 7 defencemen, and 2 goalies. 

Extensions still needed for:

Marchessault

Stephenson

Amadio

Carrier

Dorofeyev

Assume Martinez is gone.  Same with Mantha.

Edited by HKSR

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I guess they are going to let Martinez walk?

That was likely always the plan, Martinez will be 37 in July and his expiring 5.25M pays for most of Hanifin's deal 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Esmond said:

Does this mean Hronek will get $7.5-$7.75? Would not go higher than that - can't be higher than Hughes

I would say this is a very good comparable (besides left handed). Both 50 point minute munchers, not far off in age. I called 7.3 give or take 100k for hronek. Seems about right.

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Something's gotta give next year for VGK... $86M of $87.5M cap next year committed now to 10 forwards, 7 defencemen, and 2 goalies. 

Marchessault

Stephenson

Amadio

Carrier

Dorofeyev

I wouldn't be surprised if they trade Karlsson, maybe allow Marchessault to walk 

Although I could also see Marchessault taking close to what he's getting now if he really wants to stay, him and his agent will know Vegas's cap scenario 

Karlsson only has a 10-team NTC, Eichel and Hertl will likely be 1-2, Karlsson's been productive and only has three seasons remaining so he's probably not negative value 

Mantha and Martinez are almost certainly gone 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Marchessault

Stephenson

Amadio

Carrier

Dorofeyev

Lehner is on LTIR.  So they'll have an extra $5 million to spend.  I assume they re-sign Stephenson and let the other guys walk...

14 minutes ago, Wing said:

For the price they paid for Hanifin, Vegas won this trade hands down. I guess this team won't need to built through the draft for another 4-5 years at least. 

Feels like they'll never have to, no NHL player is not going to want to play in Vegas.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah, Hronek isn't signing for only 7.35 million.  He's looking at $8 million+...

Hanifin is the better player. If Hronek wants 8+ then I can't wait to see what we get for him in a trade.

• Upvote 3
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

That's a solid deal for the Knights though, although tax shenanigans play a factor no doubt.

7.3M gets Hanifin just over 4.3M take home, he'd earn $637,107 less by signing the same deal with the Canucks.

https://www.capfriendly.com/income-tax-calculator/7350000/goldenknights

Those calculators aren’t really representative of the actual tax rates NHL players pay.  They don’t pay the highest tax rates as they have lots of avoidance strategies.

Lower tax jurisdictions have fewer and lesser opportunities to cut taxes compared with a higher tax rate jurisdiction.  The true difference is probably less than a couple of hundred thousand.

Hanafin is better than Hronek… so a similar contract would be fair.  If he wants $8+ then trade him for a bunch of assets and sign some guys in free agency.  His agent gambled and probably lost, the Hanafin contract is an unfavourable comparable for them now.

Edited by Provost
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's a solid deal for the Knights though, although tax shenanigans play a factor no doubt.

7.3M gets Hanifin just over 4.3M take home, he'd earn $637,107 less by signing the same deal with the Canucks.

https://www.capfriendly.com/income-tax-calculator/7350000/goldenknights

they're fairly close statistically, Hanafin is the better player but not by a big amount in any particular category: https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_compare.php?players[]=4161&players[]=4477&period=2023-2024%3AR%3A99

So if this sets the high bar for Hronek, then given the tax difference thingy I'd say somewhere around 7 is very fair for Filip given the comparison. 

This also sets a high bar for arbitration too. 

Edited by Bob Long

7 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Hanifin is the better player. If Hronek wants 8+ then I can't wait to see what we get for him in a trade.

Exactly. Same age, similar points, but Hanifin scores more goals and is better defensively. I would say this is more Hronek's cap.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Exactly. Same age, similar points, but Hanifin scores more goals and is better defensively. I would say this is more Hronek's cap.

Yeah, I think I'd match this exact offer for Hronek. But if he thinks he deserves over 8mil he may as well just pack his bags.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1