[Re-Signing] VGK Re-sign Noah Hanifin to 8 year deal ($7.35M AAV)

19 minutes ago, Provost said:

Those calculators aren’t really representative of the actual tax rates NHL players pay.  They don’t pay the highest tax rates as they have lots of avoidance strategies.

Lower tax jurisdictions have fewer and lesser opportunities to cut taxes compared with a higher tax rate jurisdiction.  The true difference is probably less than a soup or hundred thousand.

Hanafin is better than Hronek… so a similar contract would be fair.  If he wants $8+ then trade him for a bunch of assets and sign some guys in free agency.  His agent gambled and probably lost, the Hanafin contract is an unfavourable comparable for them now.

Why bother having a team if taxes are unfair?

Moneypuck?

4 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Ppl keep forgetting 

Contracts are in USD

canucks players pay in season expenses in CDN dollars 

while van has high cost of living 

The 30% difference is significant 

It would be if we played all 82 games in Canada. And if agents hadn't already said there are workarounds for it. AND if this wasn't one of the best cities to be rich in, in North America.

18 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

they're fairly close statistically, Hanafin is the better player but not by a big amount in any particular category: https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_compare.php?players[]=4161&players[]=4477&period=2023-2024%3AR%3A99

So if this sets the high bar for Hronek, then given the tax difference thingy I'd say somewhere around 7 is very fair for Filip given the comparison. 

This also sets a high bar for arbitration too. 

I figure he'll get somewhere between 7-8M, less never seemed realistic to me.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him come in at say.. 7.5-7.75M. But 8M wouldn't surprise me either.

Edited by Coconuts

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I figure he'll get somewhere between 7-8M, less never seemed realistic to me.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him come in at say.. 7.5-7.75M. But 8M wouldn't surprise me either.

I'd be surprised to see him get more than Hanafin. Arbitration won't give him more, thats for sure. This could be a catalyst to get a deal done soon with Fil. 

20 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Ppl keep forgetting 

Contracts are in USD

This. No way is that comparable to Hronek new contract..Will be much more in CDN dollars.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they trade Karlsson, maybe allow Marchessault to walk 

Although I could also see Marchessault taking close to what he's getting now if he really wants to stay, him and his agent will know Vegas's cap scenario 

Karlsson only has a 10-team NTC, Eichel and Hertl will likely be 1-2, Karlsson's been productive and only has three seasons remaining so he's probably not negative value 

Mantha and Martinez are almost certainly gone 

They couldn't afford to bring Marchessault back at $5M.  They've got $1.5M in cap space to fill out 2 or 3 more forwards. 

25 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'd be surprised to see him get more than Hanafin. Arbitration won't give him more, thats for sure. This could be a catalyst to get a deal done soon with Fil. 

That depends on whether he wants to use his leverage or not. Hronek is in the scenario Hanifin was the season before last, a D in the last season of being an RFA. The difference is that Hanifin was signed whereas Hronek is a pending RFA with only one RFA year remaining. 

He could just take his qualifying offer, which would walk him right to UFA. He's not a young RFA. 

Hronek also has other leverage. If the Canucks want to compete going forward he's the in-house devil they know, there's no guarantee that they'd get a player who'd fit as well if they were to trade him, particularly if they were looking to bring a younger player or two back in return. 

Hronek also controls his destiny to a degree in any trade, because teams aren't going to trade for him unless he's willing to sign an extension, which would likely eliminate some interested parties and narrow the list of potential trade destinations. 

The Canucks will be buying UFA years the same way Vegas did, but while Hronek can't simply choose to walk, he does have an out if he wants to get paid more than the Canucks are willing to offer. 

I don't think it'll come to that, but I do think there's a good chance his deal comes in a bit higher than Hanifin's. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • MillerTime 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

They couldn't afford to bring Marchessault back at $5M.  They've got $1.5M in cap space to fill out 2 or 3 more forwards. 

Then it may be he has to play elsewhere. He'll be 34 in December but he could probably get a three year deal with a raise somewhere. 

37 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Ppl keep forgetting 

Contracts are in USD

Except the $1.00 USD item in the USA costs $1.30 CDN here.  Exchange rate affects everything, not just someone's salary.

Regarding Hronek, there's also something to be said about not pissing off Hughes, who's had a career season playing largely with Hronek. Hronek clearly works well with him even if his production has tailed off. 

It's taken this long to find him a quality RD who also has some semblance of a productive offensive game, do you really wanna walk away from that over what'd probably be a few hundred thousand?

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

45 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That depends on whether he wants to use his leverage or not. Hronek is in the scenario Hanifin was the season before last, a D in the last season of being an RFA. The difference is that Hanifin was signed whereas Hronek is a pending RFA with only one RFA year remaining. 

He could just take his qualifying offer, which would walk him right to UFA. He's not a young RFA. 

Hronek also has other leverage. If the Canucks want to compete going forward he's the in-house devil they know, there's no guarantee that they'd get a player who'd fit as well if they were to trade him, particularly if they were looking to bring a younger player or two back in return. 

Hronek also controls his destiny to a degree in any trade, because teams aren't going to trade for him unless he's willing to sign an extension, which would likely eliminate some interested parties and narrow the list of potential trade destinations. 

The Canucks will be buying UFA years the same way Vegas did, but while Hronek can't simply choose to walk, he does have an out if he wants to get paid more than the Canucks are willing to offer. 

I don't think it'll come to that, but I do think there's a good chance his deal comes in a bit higher than Hanifin's. 

as usual, all good points. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Regarding Hronek, there's also something to be said about not pissing off Hughes, who's had a career season playing largely with Hronek. Hronek clearly works well with him even if his production has tailed off. 

It's taken this long to find him a quality RD who also has some semblance of a productive offensive game, do you really wanna walk away from that over what'd probably be a few hundred thousand?

I do not think Hronek deserves Hanifin levels of money.  He has largely been a beneficiary of #43's play, and I don't think that should be rewarded with $7+ million.

He is partnering with the Norris D-man and is somehow putting up worse metrics than he did in Detroit.  Even Jaycob Megna had good numbers playing alongside Erik Karlsson in SJ.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Man Vegas is annoying, nice signing for them. 

Should be good news for Van though in regards to Hronek. They are fairly comparable (although I think most would say Hanifin is slightly better and more proven), so hopefully Hronek comes in around 7-7.5 over 8. 

Haha Horvat is getting more than a million per more than Hanifin.

I realize that it’s different guys in different conferences playing different positions.  It’s still pretty darned funny to me!

2 hours ago, Esmond said:

Does this mean Hronek will get $7.5-$7.75? Would not go higher than that - can't be higher than Hughes

2 hours ago, Coryberg said:

I would say this is a very good comparable (besides left handed). Both 50 point minute munchers, not far off in age. I called 7.3 give or take 100k for hronek. Seems about right.

Hronek and Hanifin are broadly comparable but I would say Hronek should get a lower cap hit.

1. First, Hronek is an RFA, which slightly lowers what he would get, but only slightly, as he would become a UFA next year. However, as he is an RFA the Canucks could trade him this summer and get a substantial return, which was not true of Hanifin. That will limit the Canucks' willingness to pay.

2. Also, I would say Hanifin is a better player. In most attempts to assess a player's aggregate value, they are similar. The difference is that Hronek has been playing with Hughes and Hanifin hasn't. When the team has experimented with separating Hughes and Hronek to see if Hronek can "drive" a top 4 pairing, the results have not been great.

3. Hanifin has a long track record being very good. Hronek was good last year, but has had a breakout year (thanks in part to Hughes). The longer track record increases Hanifin's value.

4. Hronek is right-handed which raises his value slightly. 

5. Personally, I would not go over 7 for Hronek on a long-term deal, but I would not shock me if signs at a number as big as 7.5. I would be very surprised it the Canucks go above that. The rumour is that in early discussions Hronek was asking for a number starting with 8 and the Canucks were talking about a number starting with 6.

6. I agree that it is very unlikely the Canucks would give Hronek a higher cap hit than Hughes. The optics would be bad, they can't afford it, and he is not worth it.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Ppl keep forgetting 

Contracts are in USD

you pretend like because he's paying in cdn for expense while making usd he's paying less for expense lol.. the cost for almost everything is like 30% higher in cdn compared to usd so they are not paying any less by having to pay cdn instead of usd.. even if that is the case.. we are prolly looking at 10-20k difference a year.. not 300-400k

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Except the $1.00 USD item in the USA costs $1.30 CDN here.  Exchange rate affects everything, not just someone's salary.

Who are you kidding… 1.00 usd items are more like 1.50 plus up here 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Hanifin is the better player. If Hronek wants 8+ then I can't wait to see what we get for him in a trade.

There is a premium for a RHD. Which is why I think Myers gets $4 million on the open market. Just like Gudbranson and Gudas.  Tanev probably gets $5 million. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1