[Re-Signing] VGK Re-sign Noah Hanifin to 8 year deal ($7.35M AAV)

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is a premium for a RHD. Which is why I think Myers gets $4 million on the open market. Just like Gudbranson and Gudas.  Tanev probably gets $5 million. 

I think Myers gets 4 cause of his size. This league loves thinking they can fix every D-man with size. Gudas and Tanev are genuine top 4s and they make roughly 4mil. Tanev signed for 4.5mil on the open market, 4 years ago. I dunno if that was really a RH premium. He's a great shutdown d-man when healthy. I get RHD are valuable. But Hronek isn't gonna make over a mil more than he's worth purely on being right handed. And if that's his goal, again. I welcome the trade capital. Management was prepared to trade Petey. They'll have no qualms trading a guy who has dropped off a cliff offensively. At most his contract should mirror Hanifin's. This 8+mil talk is lunacy imo.

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

Something's gotta give next year for VGK... $86M of $87.5M cap next year committed now to 10 forwards, 7 defencemen, and 2 goalies. 

Extensions still needed for:

Marchessault

Stephenson

Amadio

Carrier

Dorofeyev

Assume Martinez is gone.  Same with Mantha.

If we let Lindholm walk I was hoping we would target Chandler Stephenson!

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Why'd you have to say that out loud, now they'll find a way to keep him because the cap doesn't apply to Vegas 

25 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

He would be a fantastic pickup.  Not quite as good as Lindholm defensively, but better offensively IMO.  

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

Something's gotta give next year for VGK... $86M of $87.5M cap next year committed now to 10 forwards, 7 defencemen, and 2 goalies. 

Extensions still needed for:

Marchessault

Stephenson

Amadio

Carrier

Dorofeyev

Assume Martinez is gone.  Same with Mantha.

They will let Stephenson walk.

I’m also guessing they trade another vet to clear cap. I’m guessing McNabb.

7 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

It would be if we played all 82 games in Canada. And if agents hadn't already said there are workarounds for it. AND if this wasn't one of the best cities to be rich in, in North America.

And they only pay BC tax for home games. They pay state (and federal i presume) taxes for games in the USA. So the difference ends up being fairly minor.

7 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I hope this signing foments ill-will and suspicion amongst the golden showers players, wondering who might have to get the boot in order for others to stick around next season.  Crumble, you payola fuckers, crumble!

Define foment 

IMG_2953.webp.d0cd2e7795ee75f6cc23a5db2e3022ae.webp

18 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

And they only pay BC tax for home games. They pay state (and federal i presume) taxes for games in the USA. So the difference ends up being fairly minor.

Really? 41 home games at no State-Provincial tax vs 41 home games with State-Provincial tax. Seems like more than fairly minor to me?

4 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Really? 41 home games at no State-Provincial tax vs 41 home games with State-Provincial tax. Seems like more than fairly minor to me?

I meant when you factor in exchange rate, CAD living and USD earning, and it's not the full 82 games at the high Canadian/BC tax rate.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman
  • Cheers 1

Hanifin is a little better but is left handed and the contract was UFA

Hronek has 1 year RFA and is right handed

I think we see a larger difference between left and right handers on the free agent market as opposed to re-signing because it depends more on scarcity.  Look at the Myers over pay 6 years ago for example.  This is not an option for Hronek.  The number of UFA years in the contract will make a difference.  The difficulty the Canucks have had finding right hand D may play into the new contract.  All in all, I think we see Hronek signing at about the same AAV if they don't end up in arbitration.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

You pay taxes based on where you live.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Hanifin is a little better but is left handed and the contract was UFA

Hronek has 1 year RFA and is right handed

I think we see a larger difference between left and right handers on the free agent market as opposed to re-signing because it depends more on scarcity.  Look at the Myers over pay 6 years ago for example.  This is not an option for Hronek.  The number of UFA years in the contract will make a difference.  The difficulty the Canucks have had finding right hand D may play into the new contract.  All in all, I think we see Hronek signing at about the same AAV if they don't end up in arbitration.

If Myers walks and we trade Hronek then who exactly is going to play RD?  Juulsen and Mcward?  Jett Woo?  Ian Cole is a left hand shot.

We need Hronek more than people are letting on.  He was targeted by Allvin for over a year.  I don't think we are going to trade him over $500k in salary.  Willander still needs time.  I'd love to have both Hronek and Willander on the team...

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

8 hours ago, Rekker said:

8 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Crabcakes is correct.

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Myers walks and we trade Hronek then who exactly is going to play RD?  Juulsen and Mcward?  Jett Woo?  Ian Cole is a left hand shot.

We need Hronek more than people are letting on.  He was targeted by Allvin for over a year.  I don't think we are going to trade him over $500k in salary.  Willander still needs time.  I'd love to have both Hronek and Willander on the team...

Hronek will ultimately get the same deal as Toews. Hanafin is a guy who actually needs a baby sitter partner. He’s craperolla without Tanev. 

42 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Crabcakes is correct.

Except he isn’t and neither are you…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jock_tax

You pay based on where you work and are imposed taxes on away games by those jurisdictions.

You are able to claim credit on your home tax form for other taxes paid, but only if you would owe that much or more at your home rate.  That ensures you don’t get double charged.

That means if you play on a team in a low tax jurisdiction you pay the higher rate for games in higher tax jurisdictions 

If you play on a team in a higher tax jurisdiction, what you pay to play in games with lower tax jurisdictions you have to pay the difference still.

The net result is that playing in a lower tax jurisdiction doesn’t save you as much taxes as you think.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Technically that is not true. A player pays taxes based on where he earned the income. So all the games Petey plays in the USA he is subject to taxes based on those states where he plays. 

He then would have to file two tax returns. One for his US income and one for his Canadian income. As a Canadian he would be taxed on his world wide income. So effectively he would be double taxed. However, because of the Canada-US tax treaty he would claim a foreign tax credit on all of his US taxes.  

So effectively Petey would end up paying all of his taxes in Canada while offsetting his US taxes via the foreign tax credit. However his actual tax rate would be based on where the income was earned. 

This is how it was explained to me. But I could be wrong. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Technically that is not true. A player pays taxes based on where he earned the income. So all the games Petey plays in the USA he is subject to taxes based on those states where he plays. 

He then would have to file two tax returns. One for his US income and one for his Canadian income. As a Canadian he would be taxed on his world wide income. So effectively he would be double taxed. However, because of the Canada-US tax treaty he would claim a foreign tax credit on all of his US taxes.  

So effectively Petey would end up paying all of his taxes in Canada while offsetting his US taxes via the foreign tax credit. However his actual tax rate would be based on where the income was earned. 

All while converting his US pay into Canadian dollars thus adding 30%. Adding 30% is something any employee would like. 

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That is the way it works.  

If you play in a high tax jurisdiction, like 50%… and the tax you pay in away games in the other places is lower, you still pay the difference.

If you play in a low tax jurisdiction.. and the taxes in the places you play away games are higher… you don’t have offsetting credits so still pay that rate for those games.

It nets out to increasing the taxes for low tax jurisdictions but doesn’t lower the taxes in high tax jurisdictions.

It makes the calculators on the sites pretty useless.  If you add in tax avoidance strategies then the difference is far less than people think.  Heck if you play in Vancouver but retire in Florida you end up paying pretty much the same tax as someone who played in Florida and retired there.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Provost said:

Except he isn’t and neither are you…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jock_tax

You pay based on where you work and are imposed taxes on away games by those jurisdictions.

You are able to claim credit on your home tax form for other taxes paid, but only if you would owe that much or more at your home rate.  That ensures you don’t get double charged.

That means if you play on a team in a low tax jurisdiction you pay the higher rate for games in higher tax jurisdictions 

If you play on a team in a higher tax jurisdiction, what you pay to play in games with lower tax jurisdictions you have to pay the difference still.

The net result is that playing in a lower tax jurisdiction doesn’t save you as much taxes as you think.

Except you're the one that doesn't understand how the tax system works and are wrong in this instance.

Jock tax is the tax levied in the state they play in, but that doesn't supercede the fact the CRA determines the tax you pay living in Canada on WORLDWIDE income.  You can't avoid the taxation rates in Canada unless you can prove your residency is not primarily in Canada.  There are a number of factors they look at (see link below).

The tax treaties allow for players that get taxed in those states to not be double taxed.  Doesn't mean they get to avoid pay the higher taxes in Canada. 

For example, if a Canadian NHL player that lives in Canada more than 50% of the year plays a game in Florida, they get taxed in Florida AND in Canada, but the treaty allows the withholding taxes in Florida to count against the taxes to be withheld in Canada.  The Canadian NHL player STILL PAYS Canadian taxes on the entire amount of income WORLDWIDE. 

https://fariscpa.com/reporting-foreign-income/

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

CLOSE... just the last part isn't quite right.  The actual tax rate in Canada IS the tax rates in Canada.  You don't get to cherry pick your tax rates.  If you are a Canadian citizen, you'll be paying your share of Canadian tax rates. 

https://fariscpa.com/reporting-foreign-income/

"Individuals resident in Canada are subject to Canadian income tax on worldwide income. Relief from double taxation is provided through Canada's international tax treaties, as well as via foreign tax credits and deductions for foreign taxes paid on income derived from non-Canadian sources."

https://taxsummaries.pwc.com/canada/individual/taxes-on-personal-income

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All while converting his US pay into Canadian dollars thus adding 30%. Adding 30% is something any employee would like. 

Except Alf, the $1.00 USD item in the USA is now $1.30+ in Canada.  Exchange rates affect everything, not just a person's salary.